• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

--------->QUADROCKER Micro: An ATV Mod w/ Controllable Figure

Would you ever Quadrock an RC Crawler?

• Definitely

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 18 38.3%
  • If there was a large after-market

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • No way

Votes: 12 25.5%

• Total voters

joywrex

Rock Crawler
I’m relatively new to R/C in general. I have built up a Venom Creeper that was an impulse purchase and with a little help from the great people in the RCC forums it can climb just about anything now. Link to my build thread. For my next project I wanted to add a new challenge to the mix. I have been working on this project for a while now. I figured it was time for you guys to see it. This post is very picture heavy (and word heavy) I wanted to also explain my thinking and my process. I do things a little differently because I don’t have a big shop and usually design for mass production. I’m eager to know if anyone else wants to quadrock a rig! -Noah

IMG_7546-1.jpg

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7546-1.jpg

Quadrocker, a controllable figure add-on for the RC crawler.

Concept:

The idea is that controlling a truck is fun, but if you could somehow lean as if you were on a lightweight atv than it would be even more fun! Compared with R/C Helicopters and Airplanes, R/C Crawling uses fewer channels and requires you to think about less at once. That was one of the reasons I like it more than racing rc cars. Now, don’t take offense, I know once you start channel mixing with digs and all that it gets more complicated. I like the simplicity and intuitiveness of no dig, but being able to force the weight of the vehicle to change in some way.

Sure it has a higher center of gravity which makes it more difficult. I know, but screw it, it’s really fun.

It’s 2012, Motor on axle crawlers have made ridiculous things climbable. Nonetheless, lots of people are into scale crawlers which includes adding unnecessary weight onto the trucks center. As with the other car types: sportsman, super, mini, etc, This driving would be in a different class that is yet to be defined. I am calling this class Quadrocker. I imagine that it will look a lot less ‘scale’, if you could call it that just as competition crawlers have lost much of their truck-like appearance. For v1 I have tried to make it look relatively real so people get the concept. I could see making it very untruck-like or very scale depending on personal preference.

Here is a compilation of crawling videos. You can get the idea but it obviously needs a lot of work. The head should be able to pitch at a greater angle, a wider stance, more weight in the wheels, etc.

Quadrocker Micro Crawling R/C Controllable ATV - YouTube

If anyone besides me wants to pursue this folly, here are a couple of the hypothetical rules.

Competition Rules:
An agreed on amount of weight must be mounted to the chassis midpoint. This mass can be controlled in any way.
The mass center must be in the center + or - 1cm
The mass must have the same length width and height + or - 1cm (no long things)
The mass must be an agreed on height from the center of the wheels
Here is an example image:

competitionrulesimage.jpg

But I digress, There is no competition when there is only one of these out there.

Even before people were RC crawling I wanted to have an atv with a rollcage that I could crawl with . It would be 4 Wheeling and atv combined. Or, Trials Biking with 4 wheels and a motor. The rig could be tweaked with your body weight. The issue is opposite of the micro rc version. The rig would weigh too much vs your body weight.
I’ts possible I will try to build a 1:1 scale in the future. A superlight 4x4. Also with a roll cage because I will flip it. That would require a lot of funding. I was thinking kickstarter but that would require a lot of work.
One of the inspirations for this concept was the genre of videogame that use lean forward/lean back game mechanic. Games like excite bike (NES), Trials HD (Xbox Arcade), Exite Truck (Wii), Toy Stunt Bike (iphone), MX Mayhem (iphone) to name a few.

These are screen grabs from Trials HD:

centered:

forward:

back:

IMG_6814.jpg

IMG_6813.jpg

I figured I could use two servos to control the body and have a lead filled head at the top.

2012-01-19171408_Page_3.jpg

2012-01-19171408_Page_5.jpg

2012-01-19171408_Page_4.jpg

2012-01-19171408_Page_2.jpg

2012-01-19171408_Page_1.jpg

At first I used parts from my other RC build http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/venom-creeper/317140-joywrexs-creeper-build-first-rc-ever.html. I realized that if the servos were bigger than micro sized then their weight would require me to add a lot more weight to the head and so i decided to avoid that by building the first prototype with the smallest car possible. A Mini RC size would probably be better in the long run, the micro itself is too light.

IMG_6867-1.jpg

IMG_6867-1.jpg

Enter the Losi Micro Crawler. This specimen was sold on RCCrawler to me by SNCrawler

Now I know that ATV’s don’t usually have straight axles for the front and rear suspension. Maybe they should. Body weight counts, just as much as much as I’d like. The grizzly is close; power steering, 4 wheel drive.

2009-yamaha-grizzly-550-atv-4x4-crawling.jpg

2009-yamaha-grizzly-550-utlity-atv-rock-climbing.jpg

Taking the time to learn about what electronics I would need was bringing me down so I went to toys’r’us and found just what I needed to start thinking about sizing.

IMG_6817.jpg

IMG_6826.jpg

IMG_6825.jpg

After removing all of the extraneous parts I was left with this.

IMG_6829.jpg

IMG_6868.jpg

Naked Micro. About to get a lot heavier...

Shout out to hotglue. I love it. It is great for mocking things up quickly. Also, having a large (electric) and small (butane) heatgun makes it easy to adjust or remove bits.

IMG_6901.jpg

The Micro has a reveiver esc combo board which was not good for me because I am adding two channels to control the rider.

IMG_6910.jpg

IMG_6944.jpg

Iteration 1 of the torso yoke. It’s good have cad skills. I recommend solidworks. It’s really intuitive. At least compared to others. I order the prints online. It’s pretty cheap considering I don’t kneed a machine shop or even a garage. I have used lots of services. Shapeway’s is a good one. They can print or otherwise form a large selections of materials. Check it Shapeways - Customize and create 3D printed products. Welcome to the Future of Stuff.

It’s worth getting their sample pack of materials if your interested. It’s $30 though.

These two parts were $15

IMG_6948.jpg

IMG_6982.jpg

Head on a spike

IMG_6965.jpg

Servo housing v1

IMG_6981.jpg

IMG_6992.jpg

Torso yoke v2 and
Servo housing v2

IMG_6998.jpg

Torso yoke v3

IMG_7000.jpg

I made a platform for the servos to sit on using shapelock. I heat it up with my trusty heat gun then sculpt it with my burning fingers. It’s like shapeable hotglue to make hard parts out of.

You can get a sample from their website. SHAPELOCK FREE Sample Offer It’s $5 for shipping

IMG_7002.jpg

These videos are the first movements while the servo chassis is mounted on the actual micro. “It’s Alive!”

Quadrocker Micro- torso yoke v3 leaf spring test - YouTube

Quadrocker Micro - torso yoke v3 shocks test - YouTube

Quadrocker Micro - torso yoke v3 shocks test2 - YouTube

Quadrocker Micro - Final Weight Wiggle Test.MOV - YouTube

I got some 2S lipo packs to give it more power than the NiMh it came with. Here is a video to understand the difference.

Losi Micro NiMH vs. Lipo batteries - YouTube

Obligatory articulation pictures (not that their any good)

IMG_7005.jpg

IMG_7006.jpg

IMG_7007.jpg

Heavy legs. They should be vacuformed in the future.

Does anyone know where I can get lighter legs?

IMG_7004.jpg

The smallest receiver I could find. OrangeRX. It works with DSM2. Therefore I am getting a Spektrum 5-channel. (DX5e)

IMG_7008.jpg
IMG_7011.jpg

I am using the stock motor and transmission.

IMG_7011.jpg

IMG_7010.jpg

Servo housing v3

IMG_7049.jpg

IMG_7050.jpg

IMG_7051.jpg

I am unhappy with the shocks the Losi came with and with the head weight you can kinda slouch off of obstacles. I decided that a leaf spring style chassis would spring back more readily. It would feel a little more like an atv. I ordered the DP Torsion Chassis to try out. It is not designed for much heavier midsection so its as good as it can be. I would like to machine out my own design someday.

IMG_7075.jpg

Possible receiver placement

IMG_7090.jpg

IMG_7091.jpg

IMG_7107.jpg

These tires are worn out.

IMG_7093.jpg

This project has given me control issues. The only one that is not specifically for this project is the flysky gt3b.

IMG_7094.jpg

Weight testing

IMG_7104.jpg

IMG_7106.jpg

It’s looking good so far.

IMG_7109.jpg

First iteration of a hollow jacket in place of a body. I suck at sewing.

IMG_7175.jpg

And then I filled his head full of lead.

IMG_7124.jpg

IMG_7128.jpg

Once it was filled i covered the lead shot with hot glue to seal it in the helmet.

Torso yoke v4

IMG_7133.jpg

Second attempt at a jacket.

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7544.jpg

I got some Miniqlo Miclaw tires and weighted them with bb’s. No foam. The are a bit big. Maybe I should switch to the trail trekker tires or lengthen the links. (kinda hard to lengthen the links with the shockless chassis though)

IMG_7174.jpg

IMG_7160.jpg

IMG_7174.jpg

I painted the wheel weights. The paint scratches easily because I didn’t prime the surface in any way. It’s going to look pretty cool once they get all scratched up IMO. I love this picture. Reminds me of a ring wraith from Lord of the Rings.

IMG_7110.jpg

The quadrocker component is surprisingly durable. I am using Tower Power MG90S servos and they haven’t broken. This video is a fall onto carpet from 42”. The only damage was one of the ball end links popped off and the hot glue bond connecting the servo chassis to the driveline broke.

Quadrocker Micro - surpisingly durable - YouTube

PhotoJan07100653PM.jpg

PhotoJan07100048PM.jpg

After many Rx placements I finally settled on mounted to the server chassis. I updated the cad to make it fit just right.

PhotoJan0685706PM.jpg

PhotoJan0682928PM.jpg

Again, hot glue is awesome. I added some material to the rear body part and drilled a hole for the body pins.

PhotoJan07102735PM.jpg

PhotoJan07102714PM.jpg

I picked up some aluminium spindles, just because...

IMG_7523.jpg

IMG_7524.jpg

IMG_7525.jpg

Added the on off switch to the fender

PhotoJan0594010PM.jpg

PhotoJan0685711PM.jpg

Torso yoke v5
I switched to ball and socket style rod end rather than tie rod style. They are lighter and can pop off in a bad crash. The flat side of the yoke is for the screw that mounts it onto the driveline (universal joint)

IMG_7412-1.jpg

Servo chassis v4
Here you can see the front where the body pin screws into and the receiver covers

IMG_7411-1.jpg

IMG_7410-1.jpg

IMG_7413-1.jpg

IMG_7414-1.jpg

I removed the little gas cap and put the body pin through that hole.

IMG_7415-1.jpg

IMG_7418-1.jpg

IMG_7417-1.jpg

To make the body as light as possible I made a tube from fabric and used thin wire to create the skeleton.

IMG_7420.jpg

IMG_7419.jpg

IMG_7421.jpg

---------------

So there you have it. A new thing to do to your crawler. Granted it will make it harder to crawl. I can imagine a snap on version that could easily come off for standard crawling.
I’d like to make a version for a larger crawler in the future.

Please comment and answer the poll question!

IMG_7545.jpg

IMG_7546-1.jpg

Quadrocker Micro Crawling R/C Controllable ATV - YouTube

Way to think outside the box!

One of the coolest micro creations I have seen!

When he leans forward & the rig hooks up :lmao:, that shyte is priceless "thumbsup"

You are either an engineer by career, or seriously need to change jobs!

I know I'm lazy (the wife confirms it all the time).... But the amount of work in that tiny thing is above and beyond my ambition level. Great work!!!!!

I really dig the weighted head to get the realism on driving. Can't wait for a video"thumbsup"

Back