• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Post your electronics lineup

becma27

Hi all, place my order a couple days ago, spent the past couple days researching and ordering a good amount of my electronics. This will be my 2nd RC crawler and first kit build, I got a RTR TRX-4 defender about a year ago. Hoping to catch any gotchas or issues with all those knowledgeable on here, it's a bit intimidating selecting and ordering everything separately! :)

micro servos (plan to do both dig and 2 spd.) - 2x spektrum RCSX107
ESC - Hobbywing 1080P
Motor - Holmes Hobby Trailmaster Sport 540 (27T)
Transmitter - Spektrum DX5C Smart (transmitter only)

Steering Servo - ? (used a Power HD 23kg on my TRX-4, considering Pwr. HD 25kg for this rig, but looking for suggestions around $50 if that won't cut it)

Radio Receiver - ? (SR6100T from Spektrum, or SR515? Transmitter/receiver combo I couldn't find available from anywhere, so I'm splitting them)

One other question I have, do I need to get a BEC? I see the Hobbywings has a built in one, should I go 6.0V or 7.4V?

Excited for my first build. Not expecting the kit too soon, but hoping by first couple weeks in may I can get most of my orders and finish by my son's 6th birthday in early June to give this to him.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum! Be sure to stop by here and introduce yourself:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/597-attn-newbies-post-here.html

You just happen to be using the exact electronics that has become my go-to standard, same radio even. I used the SR515 rx in my 10.3, works just fine.

I have HW 1080's in five trucks now with the DS3218 20kg servos and have never felt like I needed a BEC with one yet. YMMV.

You're going to love the rig. Since this is your first kit, take your time and pay attention to what you're doing...some may consider this kit a bit toward the advanced side as far as overcoming minor challenges. Read Rich Trujillo's before-you-build post if you haven't already. "thumbsup"

Welcome to the site!

Congrats on your first kit. Building is as much fun if not more than driving. I hope you experience the same. We can walk you through any issues you encounter.

For my SCX10 III I'm using the following:

ESC: Tekin BXR (first time trying this)
Motor: Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 540 16T (first time trying this)
Steering Servo: Holmes Hobbies SHV500v3 (first time trying this and what a beast!)
Dig Servo: Spektrum SX107
Steering Servo: Spektrum SX107
Transmitter: FlySky GT5

I hate external BEC's and only used them when absolutely necessary. The 1080 has a stout internal BEC and it's good enough for most high quality servos. When setting your internal or external BEC you have to ensure your receiver and your servo can take the voltage.

Welcome!

Went with a brushed setup on this one.

ESC- HW 1080

Motor- Brood 35t

Steering- Spektrum S6280

Dig- SX107

2-Speed- not used

TX- DX5R

BEC- CC set at 8.4v for the 6280"thumbsup"

Bonus:

Servo winch- Reefs 422HD

Lights- Power Shift controller and China JK kit

Welcome! Tons of great info here and people.

I’ve got a 10.3 on order also
Esc Hobbywing 1080
Motor Holmes Hobbies torquemaster 35t
Micro servos (2) spektrum sx107
Steering servo savox 1212sg 600oz
Radio/receiver spektrum dx5c and 6100at

I got lucky on the radio, no stock online LHS had one in stock for $149.99
First time trying that motor esc combo I hope it works out ok.
Also picked up a prodigy 610ez charger and I’ll be running a 2s 5000mah 45c standard pack.

Thanks everyone, excited to be here and to begin my build once everything arrives! I've studied up on Rich's info and the other build posts, plan to record notes in the manual before I start. I'm pretty proficient mechanically, it's electrically that I struggle with.

Can the mini servos run at higher than 6.0V? Looked like no, so then I wasn't sure how to do that if I got a higher voltage servo and ran both. I'll probably stick to the power HD or the DS 3218.

Any shorty pack 3s battery recommendations? I have a venom full size pack I used for my TRX-4, but it's giving me a connection break error now. Didn't for my 2s, so I know it's the battery not charger.

Any electrical/wiring things I should order to be ready? For example, I was thinking some servo extensions would be helpful. I ordered some battery connector adapters with the TRX-4 to go from the Venom plug to the TRX-4 one. Wondering if any of that is needed.

Any electrical/wiring things I should order to be ready? For example, I was thinking some servo extensions would be helpful. I ordered some battery connector adapters with the TRX-4 to go from the Venom plug to the TRX-4 one. Wondering if any of that is needed.

I needed a servo extension to get from the 3/4" long one on the micro servo 3" to the receiver box. All I had was a 6" but oh well. Thanks for reminding me I need to order some more! "thumbsup"

This is my setup:
Combo: HOBBYWING AXE XERUN 550 3300KV
dig unit: Spektrum sx107
shift servo: Spektrum sx107
steering servo: Savox 2290SG

Hobbywing AXE 550 3300Kv setup

Dig / shift servo Spektrum sx107

Steering servo Savox SW1211SG

I know many do not like the Savox servos but I have had this servo for 7 years. I took it out of my OG SCX10 and it dropped right into this new release without the need for trimming anything. Very happy with this servo.

Thanks everyone, excited to be here and to begin my build once everything arrives! I've studied up on Rich's info and the other build posts, plan to record notes in the manual before I start. I'm pretty proficient mechanically, it's electrically that I struggle with.

Can the mini servos run at higher than 6.0V? Looked like no, so then I wasn't sure how to do that if I got a higher voltage servo and ran both. I'll probably stick to the power HD or the DS 3218. If they specify 6.0v then that is max. I run an external BEC for the steering servo so not to rob power from other accessories or lose power in my servo. In my setup my steering servo uses 8.4v from BEC and then the dig and winch, which can be ran 7.4v, are running at 6.0v off of the receiver. I'm old school and have always done it that way.

Any shorty pack 3s battery recommendations? I have a venom full size pack I used for my TRX-4, but it's giving me a connection break error now. Didn't for my 2s, so I know it's the battery not charger. Lots of choices there for shorty packs just depends on what you want from a battery. I run 3 cell Gens Ace batteries with no issues.

"thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

I pulled the trigger on my kit today...

Mamba micro x crawler
CC BEC 2.0
HH puller pro v2 stubby 1800kv
Undecided on steering servo...
Align DS450 for dig and 2 spd
Flysky FS-BS6 rx
Gens Ace Adventure 3s 3600 LiHV

I think this should be pretty legit all in all. Very excited for the build :)

Lou

I pulled the trigger on my kit today...

Mamba micro x crawler
CC BEC 2.0
HH puller pro v2 stubby 1800kv
Undecided on steering servo...
Align DS450 for dig and 2 spd
Flysky FS-BS6 rx
Gens Ace Adventure 3s 3600 LiHV

I think this should be pretty legit all in all. Very excited for the build :)

Lou

Have you used the align ds450 before? I like the fact that they’re high voltage so I could run 7.4v off the 1080. My receiver is rated up to 9v also. I just added 2 of those to my cart, just hope they fit ok. I’ll run a horn with proper epa

It looks like it’s 9.1 mm taller than the sx107, I don’t think the 2 speed will be an issue I wonder about the dig

Last edited:
For "shorty" packs I prefer the Zippy 2200 3S batteries. You should still get over an hour of trail runtime out of them and they are compact and light. They fit perfectly in the side battery tray.

You can get away with less than 60C in a scaler, but I go higher on C-ratings in case I ever want to use it in a faster rig. And the 60C version is on sale so why not?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-c...342&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

Last edited:
Have you used the align ds450 before? I like the fact that they’re high voltage so I could run 7.4v off the 1080. My receiver is rated up to 9v also. I just added 2 of those to my cart, just hope they fit ok. I’ll run a horn with proper epa

It looks like it’s 9.1 mm taller than the sx107, I don’t think the 2 speed will be an issue I wonder about the dig

I’ve used them in helis before, always been a solid servo. I think it will fit the dog just fine. The extra length is all below the mounting tabs. I’m not sure how deep the recess is for the 2 spd and that may be the issue. I’ll be sure to post as soon as my kit arrives toward the end of the month... hopefully....

Lou

My SCX10 III Order

ESC: Mamba X
Motor: Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Pro 540 BL 2700kv
Steering: Savox SW-1212SG
Shifting Servo: Spektrum SX107
Transmitter: Spektrum Dx5c
Receiver: Spektrum SR6100AT

Last edited:
For "shorty" packs I prefer the Zippy 2200 3S batteries. You should still get over an hour of trail runtime out of them and they are compact and light. They fit perfectly in the side battery tray.

You can get away with less than 60C in a scaler, but I go higher on C-ratings in case I ever want to use it in a faster rig. And the 60C version is on sale so why not?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/zippy-c...342&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products
Nice, good idea. And can't beat that price!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Castle Mamba X w/ a Slate 2800KV

Savox SW1210SG for steering

Spektrum Micro Servos until the break for the Dig and 2 Speed.

Upgrading the handset this year. Waiting on a Futaba 7PX-R.

Not decided on the receiver yet. It will probably start out with the R334SBS that comes with 7PX-R. When I expand the options, I will have to add more channels.

for my SCX10 iii,

Motor+ESC: Hobbywing AXE550 2700kv combo
Steering Servo: Highest C900W
Steering Servo: Spektrum SX107
Transmitter: FlySky GT5

Reedy 16t 5 pole
Hobbywing 1080
Protech 370TBL
2x Power HD TR-4

The motor/esc/steering servo are becoming my go-to.

Back