• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Portal Fun with my TL01

(2 years later...Holy crap!)

Still working on this project. I've been away from the hobby room for a while due to the kids softball schedule taking over my life. Been down there a bit lately though and tinkering with some things.*

I adapted some YR shock towers over and put some new CVA's on. Gives me quite a bit more suspension travel than the previous setup, and will keep the chassis from cracking at the upper shock mounts- win/win!*Started with 2 hole pistons and stock oil, though it's very light for this setup. I suspect I'll end up swapping over to the single pistons.*
20220718-143717-SM.jpg

Plenty of flex for a trail truck.*
20220718-143736-SM.jpg

I like to keep it in the family, so after trying out a few bodies I ended up liking how the Pajero body fit. Only issue was the rear body posts were quite long and I had a ton of wobble. Since this was an old, well used body I had no issues breaking out the razor saw and doing a bit of hacking. Body work is not my thing at all - I just don't have the patience for it, but I think it came out ok. No fancy 3D printing, just old fashioned styrene and filler. I had to remove quite a bit of the fenders for clearance, but I think it gives it a nice aggressive look.*I need to fill in a bit underneath, it's quite airy under there!
20220718-143800-SM.jpg

Filled in 8 random holes and sanded down. Lots of layers of paint, I've had this body for a long, long time!
20220717-192054-SM.jpg

Primed up and ready for some finish sanding and some color...blue and silver of course.
20220720-164223-SM.jpg

The portalled TL01 is a great little ride, though I've never really been 100% happy with the body. It looked ok, but always thought I could do better.

Pic from the last run. I ditched the heavy Pajero body and went back to the hot rod. Nice, but never really got into it.
20231127-115826-SM.jpg

It's tough to find a body that fits - its touring car wheelbase really limits options. Plus, since it's a touring car with independent suspension and big tires, wheel clearance is always an issue Surfing Ebay while on the throne one day (where I do my best thinking I might add) I saw this goofy 1/12 New Bright body with exaggerated fenders pop up. Looking at the dimentions, I thought it might be close enough to work and it was only $20. So I took a chance and ordered it...

and it fits like it was designed for it! It's just wide enough to drop over the chassis and the huge fenders allow the wheels to tuck almost perfectly. I put on the spare bumper from the Squashvan in the front and it all tucks together nicely.
20240731-212718-SM.jpg

20240731-212741-SM.jpg

So I found some TL01 body posts in my stash and did a little trimming and it dropped right on. I was originally just going to paint the fenders black, but decided to spray the whole thing with satin black. Glad I did, I think it came out fantastic! Swapped over some wheels a tires and it came out really nice. I did have to trim the fender up front a but for the bigger tires but it was very worth it.
20240807-204442-SM.jpg

20240807-204458-SM.jpg

20240807-204555-SM.jpg

I've started adding some decals and some scale details. I do need to figure out something with the windows yet, but I love the way it's coming together.
20240808-125850-SM.jpg

20240808-125902-SM.jpg

body looks spot on the wheel wells and mean looking and fun to rip around. The exaggerated fenders are horrible but they work with the scale lightbar you added there and the grunt look of the truck.. wild willy driver should fit right in there perfectly.

Back