• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Pick a truck, any truck!

ScaleLifeNewbie

I wanna be Dave
I’m deciding on my next RC and need some input/opinions. I want to go basher, but also want another crawler. Also have been thinking about a drifter lol. My original plan was to get an LMT, but I feel like I only have 1 place to drive it and I won’t have as much fun as I do with my TRX4. So if you could have any of these crawlers, which would you get? Or, would you modify the hell out of a TRX4?

Here’s a few of my options I’ve been thinking.
1. TF2. go for a very scale hard body build.
2. Trailrunner. Love the body and like the solid axles.
3. CEN F450. Love the body and I think it’ll make a very scale rig with some parts.
4. SCX10.3 gladiator. I really like Dmacs and think I would have fun with it.
5. Upgrade my TRX4 even more. Wheels, tires, Electronics, etc.

Have any other ideas? Let me know and I’ll check em out.

Trail runner has IFS.

You already have a very capable crawler in the TRX4. Upgrade what you need to on it, what does it not do well for you?

The CEN is a monster truck, correct? Do not want if it is, LMT if you go that route. IMO pretty much any other platform comes up short compared to that rig.

You need to ask yourself why you want a new rig and what you want it to do. If it is crawl I wouldn’t spend money on a new one, you have one. If it is bash there are better choices than the LMT, pretty much any Arrma would fit that bill. If it is drift, Arrma has that market covered too with the Infraction.

If you don’t have anywhere to run an MT then forget about a short course or u4 rig.

The SCX10iii gladiator is going to be a trail rig and I think after you are done scaling it to death you will be bored with it (same answer with the TF2), especially if you are already bored with your TRX4. Scalers are about the build and casual/scale trailing...just the fact that you keep coming back to basher tells me that will be a short honeymoon.

I think if you add some weight down low, ditch those cheap 2.2s and bead locks for something like Pitbulls or BFG krawlers with some good 2 stage foams you will fall in love with your TRx4 all over again. And save a lot of coin versus buying a new rig. If it’s just the build, why not get a kit (Enduro, 10iii, TRx4, Trail King) and build it real slow until you figure out what exactly you want to do? They are fairly cheap versus buying a rig you may or may not even use a lot.

I think if you add some weight down low, ditch those cheap 2.2s and bead locks for something like Pitbulls or BFG krawlers with some good 2 stage foams you will fall in love with your TRx4 all over again. And save a lot of coin versus buying a new rig. If it’s just the build, why not get a kit (Enduro, 10iii, TRx4, Trail King) and build it real slow until you figure out what exactly you want to do? They are fairly cheap versus buying a rig you may or may not even use a lot.

Thats my current idea. I am for sure getting some 1.9 Krawlers and metal beadlocks for the TRX4, like righ now lol. it’s not that I’m bored with it, but want something else for when my TRX4 is down, or when I want a challenge with a straight axle truck like the SSD Trail king. Whatever crawler I get, I’m definitely getting a kit, a mistake I made with the TRX4.

Btw, the CEN F450 is a trail truck, not an MT.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah I was thinking of that B50 truck. It has a cool body. Meh that 450 looks cool but kind of long/low for trailing imo.

I'd say the Trailrunner FIRE, but it only comes RTR. Comes with decent electronics 16T 5 pole motor. 1.55 wheels and tires. And have fun with it.

Yeah I was thinking of that B50 truck. It has a cool body. Meh that 450 looks cool but kind of long/low for trailing imo.

Out of curiosity, what transmitter/receiver do you run on your 10.2? Do you like it? I’m trying to find a decent transmitter for not too expensive. Pretty sure I found a kit, but am stuck on what transmitter. I really like my TQi, but not enough to pay $150.

Don’t mean to butt in but for what it’s worth Me and my old man run dx5c from spektrum. I haven’t had any issues with mine, even fallen a couple times and slid down some rock faces with it in my hand. Supposedly the scroll wheel on the rugged has gotten better but I’m not a fan. $99 for the radio is hard to beat. But I also know a lot of people run the flysky radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say get an Axial Bomber...but only if YOU want one.

None of the rigs on your list are of particularly great interest to me ; at least on this day. I like to take it slow, slow, slow. If I wanted to go faster I would look more seriously at a Laser Nut or a Revo. Laser Nuts is a pretty killer looking rig. I know I would enjoy cranking it across some rugged flats and sending it over some gaps. The Revo just strikes me as a hard nosed basher. Some days I think I would actually enjoy the 1/16 Revo specifically. I imagine I could enjoy ripping around the yard with it while I am at the BBQ. However my Twin Hammers works just fine for that.

I like the places that crawlers take me, so I have a hard time considering other builds.

Drift somewhat interests me because I know I would enjoy the driving style. I may build a drift car yet this winter. Again, not sure I will, but I might.

What types of rig can you envision running and enjoying? Get which ever that is. If you don't know, let the cash simmer. There will be new stuff by spring I am sure

Don’t mean to butt in but for what it’s worth Me and my old man run dx5c from spektrum. I haven’t had any issues with mine, even fallen a couple times and slid down some rock faces with it in my hand. Supposedly the scroll wheel on the rugged has gotten better but I’m not a fan. $99 for the radio is hard to beat. But I also know a lot of people run the flysky radios

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s all good! I seen the DX5c and it’s on my list, but farther down just because of price with the receiver.

I say get an Axial Bomber...but only if YOU want one.

None of the rigs on your list are of particularly great interest to me ; at least on this day. I like to take it slow, slow, slow. If I wanted to go faster I would look more seriously at a Laser Nut or a Revo. Laser Nuts is a pretty killer looking rig. I know I would enjoy cranking it across some rugged flats and sending it over some gaps. The Revo just strikes me as a hard nosed basher. Some days I think I would actually enjoy the 1/16 Revo specifically. I imagine I could enjoy ripping around the yard with it while I am at the BBQ. However my Twin Hammers works just fine for that.

I like the places that crawlers take me, so I have a hard time considering other builds.

Drift somewhat interests me because I know I would enjoy the driving style. I may build a drift car yet this winter. Again, not sure I will, but I might.

What types of rig can you envision running and enjoying? Get which ever that is. If you don't know, let the cash simmer. There will be new stuff by spring I am sure

I was looking at the bomber, but it’s not really my style looks wise. I think I have chosen, I’ll have an update here soon. Hint, it’s not on my list.

With your ability why not creat/build a monster truck (LMT, Clod, AX10, etc style) out of SCX10 axles, some 3gear tranny, a TVP chassis... essentially rock solid platforms to build off of, dirt cheap, and still have loads of aftermarket parts available just about everywhere. LMT or Jconcepts monster truck to give it the look and ability.

With your ability why not creat/build a monster truck (LMT, Clod, AX10, etc style) out of SCX10 axles, some 3gear tranny, a TVP chassis... essentially rock solid platforms to build off of, dirt cheap, and still have loads of aftermarket parts available just about everywhere. LMT or Jconcepts monster truck to give it the look and ability.

Sounds cool, but I don’t have many places to run, my whole reason behind not getting the LMT.

Sounds cool, but I don’t have many places to run, my whole reason behind not getting the LMT.

That I understand, you have mentioned the LMT and the SMT previously. FWIW at the age of 2 my son (was and still is) driving one of the Redcat Everest 10’s lightly modified- 21t 540 and bigger 2.2 tires. Does wheelies from a standstill, 4ws, and handles the abuse of the motor and his wide open style driving. We take it on our hikes, does well slow in the technical and fun to open it up when the area permits. It pretty much goes and does anything and everything even in our smallish backyard courses.

That I understand, you have mentioned the LMT and the SMT previously. FWIW at the age of 2 my son (was and still is) driving one of the Redcat Everest 10’s lightly modified- 21t 540 and bigger 2.2 tires. Does wheelies from a standstill, 4ws, and handles the abuse of the motor and his wide open style driving. We take it on our hikes, does well slow in the technical and fun to open it up when the area permits. It pretty much goes and does anything and everything even in our smallish backyard courses.

Ahh okay, I see what you mean. I may have to look into that and compare to my current shopping cart lol.

Anything Rc4wd and you won’t go wrong. I’ve got my choices down to 4 either the new cross country the tf2 midnight edition the tf2 Bfgoodrich edition or a c2x

Anything Rc4wd and you won’t go wrong. I’ve got my choices down to 4 either the new cross country the tf2 midnight edition the tf2 Bfgoodrich edition or a c2x

I was looking pretty good at the c2x and LWB TF2, but I definitely want a kit, which then would “make” me buy the hardbody TF2. I say make because one big reason for the TF2 being on my list is the hardbody lol.

New rig ordered, it’ll be here January 4th-5th. Also threw in some new shoes for the TRX4. super excited to get it, and you better believe I’ll be posting up a build thread lol.

Back