• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Phyro’s Runner

Phyro

Quarry Creeper
Hey All,

Well a lonely Element followed me home last night. It even managed to bring along a garage some how [emoji848]. Then asked for a roof rack and bumper.

a6dcb7275595a454e7c1fcddcbe50d04.jpg

87320eaacd2471d992b29c73a46417c6.jpg

9ba969fbc995b0157bafb67e10896195.jpg

Got to love the Element garage boxes. Well this won’t be the first time I have messed around with the Element IFS. Also went with the Trailrunner instead of the Knightrunner as it was on sale and local.

Going to add some of the decals later to break up the white a bit. Just not sure which ones yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Phyro’s Trailrunner

Woohoo, gotta love putting a new rig in garage! Look forward to the fun...

I plan to get the fire version soon, may even be the next rig purchase just to add to the Toyota fleet. Are you going to do the 4runner front?

Woohoo, gotta love putting a new rig in garage! Look forward to the fun...

Well, it is begging to be ran already, which will be Sunday weather permitting.

I plan to get the fire version soon, may even be the next rig purchase just to add to the Toyota fleet. Are you going to do the 4runner front?

I don’t think I will at this time. I am planning on a new grill and light buckets at some point though. Need to finish the Sendero/Ecto hybrid first, before designing more parts.

Nice to hear you adopted a Trailrunner!:ror:

I still need to get one of these and the Knightrunner for my collection!

Nice to hear you adopted a Trailrunner!:ror:

I still need to get one of these and the Knightrunner for my collection!

Kinda funny how that happens [emoji28]. I was originally thinking about converting this one to a Knightrunner. But the Trailrunner body is starting grow on me.

Got the Trailrunner out on the rocks. It did better than I thought it would out there. Also added the decals, I think more red accents are in it’s future:

4afbc23167ad404645df22a7605b59f4.jpg

Well next up is some new shoes. Got some Method 106 Race wheels in black/silver. And a set of BFG Mudterrians.

I got the new tires, foams, and wheels installed onto the Trailrunner:

a0ecdab859d37dfc65cdb80d211f5aa1.jpg

I had thought about converting “Runner” at some point, but the body is starting to grow on me. And then Runner got jealous of the Knightrunners on the forum. Well I ordered some of the Knightrunner bumpers for Runner:

1d9232c729e4f09071c66b7a349b1c96.jpg

d1715783b3d83b79b3158d754f32fa17.jpg

dbc6c938c016389d2badbc8a19d07fbf.jpg

For $10, I really couldn’t go wrong. It definitely doesn’t stick out as much as the stock hard bumper. It is a bit lower than stock as well. I had to drop the body mount to close the gap. Maybe a raised bumper mount in the future[emoji848]. As for the gap between the grill and bumper, maybe a light bar like this:

db6b70fd322c0453ba894c99db0e1716.jpg

Pictured is a Proline 4” Light Bar. Should I just E6000 this to the bumper?

I think with some modifications the rear bumper may work as well… Like I said before the body is growing on me, so kind of hesitant to cut it up now.

Bumper matches pretty good. And I'd say glue the lightbar on if you wanna keep that low profile appeal.

Those look like 4.19's? Do you rub any time you're crawling?

Kinda bought a set of 1.55's and tires as well for when I grab one of these rigs and I wouldn't want to cut the body up.

Bumper matches pretty good. And I'd say glue the lightbar on if you wanna keep that low profile appeal.

Those look like 4.19's? Do you rub any time you're crawling?

Kinda bought a set of 1.55's and tires as well for when I grab one of these rigs and I wouldn't want to cut the body up.

Ya, they are 4.19”. I haven’t had Runner on the rocks since installing them. Weather has been warmer this week, but work keeps me off the rocks. I am hopeful for Saturday though.

Well I decided to changed the looks of Runner a bit. Decided to do an Ivan Stewart theme. I got some vinyl sheets from Hobby Lobby. They were pretty cheap. I also decided to glue the light bar.

536bea05e0155607e34e95d2d632d9a6.jpg

9c3fda349c1fc0729294d951ff32aae1.jpg

2b0e7b01a1def8c9b85dcd45b3838d75.jpg

Let me know what you think.

I like it. How it's utilizing the Element graphics is a plus.

Phyro’s Trailrunner

I like it. How it's utilizing the Element graphics is a plus.

Thanks!

Well Runner was back in the shop again today. Runner was complaining about his steering being rough and slow to the right. Well a bad power steering system was the cause.

c83265d76133cb99752420371566a32f.jpg

Up on the jacks he went. Well that was a bit embarrassing, clear inner fenders aren’t a great look. The paint booth is closed due to cold temps.

Well back to issue at hand. I ended up dropping the front suspension out from the top plate.
a60c97b5797ab444c12613eadd544c31.jpg

And then here are the planned upgrades to that steering system:

911f0a16d3455a5bc64e837f02f881a4.jpg

The power steering pump is being replaced a Reefs 555 unit, should be a lot better than stock. Changed the pitman arm to a double clamp style as well.

While I was replacing the power steering pump, the rack pinion got an upgrade from BowHouse RC. I did the aluminum bell cranks and rack. This should work well for now.

P.S.:
By the way guys, how does a Colorado steering rack and a JLU power steering system fit a 4Runner? [emoji848]

Great job on the vinyl stripes! Looks great and changes the look enough to be unique!

Boy it's a good thing the Trailrunner came with a garage! It's the perfect place to pull out the bad power steering system!:ror:

Nice job documenting the front end repair!!"thumbsup"

Great job on the vinyl stripes! Looks great and changes the look enough to be unique!

Boy it's a good thing the Trailrunner came with a garage! It's the perfect place to pull out the bad power steering system!:ror:

Nice job documenting the front end repair!!"thumbsup"

Especially when it decides to rain and snow over the weekend [emoji1787]. Glad you got a laugh out of the write up [emoji106].

Especially when it decides to rain and snow over the weekend [emoji1787]. Glad you got a laugh out of the write up [emoji106].

I hear ya! Another cold and snowy weekend here in Ohio! I'll be spending time in my tiny garage working on my tiny trucks!:)

Well another rainy evening and an appointment with the garage. Runner complaint this time was to much squatting when climbing. Luckily some SOR RC parts came in for the suspension. To the shop with Runner:

31bf2687fc28790ba4bce3aabbf00b2c.jpg

(Don’t pay attention to the body off shots…)

ef2f77972b35bb1c9d6ff359919affba.jpg

And up on the jacks goes Runner. Well for the first upgrade, the shock/lower arm screw needed to come off. Followed by the 4 screws at the rear of the skid. With that done:

ec99ef2f513c68709773e53b4c4c6d7d.jpg

I could start installing the chassis link risers. These get installed where the upper link was mounted to the skid using the two bolts.

f8d806bbea79a415fa7be267f6bc172b.jpg

Here was my first mistake. The first 3 holes near the transmission don’t work as the link hits pinion/driveshaft. 2nd set of holes do work, but the link needs to be installed first…

Next up was installing the SOR rear link riser and SSD Brass Diff Cover and Link Mounts. Runner has disk brakes, so the rear axle plates would look a bit odd.

37fe545125c404876a45832e2c482a99.jpg

Since the link risers were installed already, I decided to use the 3rd set of holes was used. I highly recommend installing the bolts with the head facing inward.

b4f61df2d12963a70060927f12bac0dd.jpg

These mods kinda straightened out the driveshaft at the rear end a bit as a side effect.

The next appointment will be for some SSD Brass Hubs. And hopefully a trip to the Lake for some trail driving this weekend.

Well the “Runner” was back in the shop again. This time it was for weight in the front. Some SSD brass hubs! I love these hubs, as they add weight and change out the 5x10x4 bearing for a stronger 5x11x4 bearing.

30c5bb20843b843a569cac4ec01242fa.jpg

9108b8612f4535c0e13e6bc9cc8352b1.jpg

The install did have one hick up though. The Bowhouse steering stops needed to be ground down a bit.

Runner’s jealousy of the Knightrunners is getting bad. A look at RPP Hobby’s website, and a new Knightrunner body was on the way! Runner now has an appointment with the body shop next weekend.

Well, a group of us drivers decided to hit the trails today. I decided to take Runner out for a trail run as a Trailrunner before becoming a Knightrunner next weekend.

It was a beautiful day in Nebraska. The location today was a nearby lake that I haven’t been to before. The terrain was dirt, mud, water, and some ice. The ice path crawl was a surprise as it was 70* F!

49bdc16443d79c2bafbe169f4addf9dc.jpg

The group setting on the ice for a group shot.

Runner did quite well on the trails and even did some ice climbs. The anti squat worked wonders on the steeper climbs.

Hope to get back out there some more.

Nice upgrades! Them SSD hubs are nice!

Good choice on the Knightrunner body. I just picked one up myself for my GK/Ecto build.

Back