• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Parts needed to mount Axe motor?

m4inbrain

Hey,

i'm pretty sure it's been asked dozens of times before, so i apologise for being too daft to find a definitive answer: as i understand, an Axe R2 will not fit into the Capra (looking for a 4ws) without modification.

I do have a free Axe R2 (540L 2800kv) that i'm currently looking for a new home for, and i really like the idea of the Capra 4ws.

What do i need to fit it properly (particular skid plate, motor mount etc?), as well as run it properly (it appears that the Capra is geared way high, 2800kv is pretty nippy)?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
My advice would be to use either the Vader or Spare Time Hobbies skid, and one of the Amazon 50-60 dollar 3 gear transmissions with dig (unless you don’t want to keep dig just go with a 3 gear). A 2800kv motor with the stock transmission might work but might also just exaggerate the wonky gearing of the stock transmission. I put the Spare Time Hobbies skid on mine, but kept the stock transmission because I’m running a OG Fusion 1800kv. I really like this kv range with the stock transmission, and have no issues with this setup.
Just for the sake of saying, I have heard of people fitting 550 sized motors with the above mentioned skids, but have also heard slight Dremel work needed with both. Mine fit without, but the back of the motor was so close to the rear link mount that I just slightly chamfered the very top of the link mount to be safe.

Cheers, appreciate the info. I'll probably run it without dig, i'm not sure i'd miss it with 4ws. I don't know that yet though, since i haven't had a crawler with either of those options (just lockable diffs/2 speed etc).

I'll probably run the stock transmission (with dig) once or twice just to figure things out and go from there, the main concern is the Axe R2. The issue i see is, your 1800kv motor is 49mm long - mine (indeed, all 540L) is 58mm. If yours barely fits, then mine will not by almost a full cm. Grinding a cm into the rear link mount, without having seen those new skid plates yet, is probably not going to work.

Hm. Well.. Hm. Starting to wonder if the Capra might not be the RC of choice for my free R2. :(

No, I’m not running a Fusion 1800 SE in mine. I’m running the original Fusion 1800. The first one released before the 2300 Pro. It’s longer than the Pro or SE, I believe it’s listed at 64mm in length. It was just about the exact length of another 550 motor that I had in my spares box.

Back