• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Painting body panel shut lines

RetroGlide08

I have a TRX4 Defender body and would like to paint the door/panel shut lines.
Have any members done this and if so, how did you go about doing it?
TIA:ror:

I have a TRX4 Defender body and would like to paint the door/panel shut lines.
Have any members done this and if so, how did you go about doing it?
TIA:ror:

Not TRX4 Defender specific but a fine tipped sharpie works well. Trace the lines from the outside. If you mess up you can use rubbing alcohol to remove your blemish.

^^ This, exactly. Though I would recommend an Ultra Fine tip. I do this on every lexan body, really brings out the detail.

On this old Sport pic, I used Fine tip between the bed and cab and Ultra Fine on the door and hood seams. Give you an idea of the difference in thickness.
20191030-100301sm.jpg

Yup, ultra-fine tip sharpie ftw. I would preferred something a little finer (probably 0.5mm) but the ultra-fine (0.7mm) sharpies is the closest I've been able to find.

I've wanted to do this but I've seen so many bad jobs where you can tell it's a Sharpie and the lines are all over the place... or where the tip didn't lay all the way down into the "groove" but instead rode along the sides. If I thought that I could get into the grooves and that it would lay down actual BLACK color rather than a blueish-black.. I'd do this with all my rigs. I may take a look at Hobby Lobby this weekend and see what they've got.

OSRC That body looks really nicely done!

I've also been hesitant to try this because I've seen many done poorly (actually I cant remember seeing any that looked good).

I would think a light gray might look better because with black it just shouts "im fake". Does anyone use different colors?

I know it's a lot more time consuming, but you can't beat pin stripe on the inside before paint. I've done this several times in the past and it has always looked great.

Yep - I’ve always used fine tip Sharpie. I’ve see some guys mask and paint, but that’s some painstaking, tedious work.

Well, I’ve gone and got myself a sharpie and shall have a go later. Luckily the Land Rover Defender body has more straight lines than rounded ones so I’m hopefully going to be ok I hope ��

Have just finished giving it my best shot. I’m kinda pleased with the result. The big problem were the depth of the lines on the defender bodyshell. They aren’t a constant depth which made it tricky both following a line and keeping it a constant width.
Thanks to everyone for their input ����

Well, here my attempt. The lines look ok and perhaps even better in the photos. Anyway, it’s a start to my first venture returning from a 10+ year break.
bd719b793a21a776f591f474391651e7.plist

40cfaae30f25b69ec278a9db0c55c01e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call that a win! "thumbsup"

Remember too that (certain competitions aside) our rigs aren't meant to be looked at underr a microscope, but from a distance of ten feet, covered in dirt and mud splash.

Nice job.

ps: Nice rig!

Thanks lol, it’s just the slight sense of OCD in me that makes it tricky at times lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I call that a win! "thumbsup"

Remember too that (certain competitions aside) our rigs aren't meant to be looked at underr a microscope, but from a distance of ten feet, covered in dirt and mud splash.

Nice job.

ps: Nice rig!

True enough, but some of us like to shoot for the microscope, and if missed. Still blows the ten footers boys away even @ ten feet, & under the dirt.

Someone takes a picture of any rig, the care & craftsmanship put into a build is on display, in other words there is no hiding.

Ive always liked the way body lines turned out with a wash on a hard body. Has anyone ever tried this with a lexan body?

I know when refinishing golf clubs you can flood the letters/lines with paint then wrap a paper towel tightly around your finger soaked in paint remover and wipe away the excess and make a nice sharp lines. That method might work for filling in body panel lines in lexan since the body color is on the inside and you won't wipe away the body color with the paint remover just the excess on the lines.

Ive always liked the way body lines turned out with a wash on a hard body. Has anyone ever tried this with a lexan body?

I know when refinishing golf clubs you can flood the letters/lines with paint then wrap a paper towel tightly around your finger soaked in paint remover and wipe away the excess and make a nice sharp lines. That method might work for filling in body panel lines in lexan since the body color is on the inside and you won't wipe away the body color with the paint remover just the excess on the lines.

I did try that by filling the line with sharpie ink then gently rubbing over the line to remove the excess. The problem is, the shut lines aren’t very consistent with their depth and they aren’t the deepest in places either. This meant the line was different thicknesses and at some points, so shallow that the sharpie ink cane right out again.

I've seen some using very finely cut adhesive vinyl, matt or gloss black. Anyone with experience using this rather than a sharpie?

I've seen some using very finely cut adhesive vinyl, matt or gloss black. Anyone with experience using this rather than a sharpie?

I had somebody paint a body for me and they put thin, chrome pinstripe tape on the body to simulate chrome body trim. It peeled in no time. IMO you'd have to clear over the vinyl to get it to stick permanently.

I have, on the outside, not the inside of the body. Painstaking, and it's like I said, if you're not ought to win a contest, go with a pen. If you haven't seen a Sharpie ULTRA fine pen, the tip is super thin. Scant resemblance to a regular Sharpie, just so we're clear.

I used a fine tip Sharpie on my Origin body. The Ultra Fine tip never wants to write on bodies for me and when it does it's difficult to see.

Back