• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

OS's comp(ish) fun trucks.

OSRC

I wanna be Dave
Something a little different from my usual builds. But first, a little backstory. I learn more to the scale and trail runner side and I don't compete in comps or anything, but I do like tinkering around to get better results. Over the past few years at my local crawler spot, mother nature has washed out a lot of the dirt and smaller rocks along the creek leaving a fairly large raw boulder field. We used to have a few lines up here for the scale trucks, but they really can't get through here anymore since it's so washed out. Some do, but it's much more suited for more capable rigs without bumper overhangs, big tires, and with good clearance.

So I've been working on some trucks just to get through this section. Always had some comp-ish style rigs around, I just never drive them much since I prefer to trail run. Having a nice big technical section now to play on made it a much more interesting proposition. I've got a nice out and back course that's about 30-45 minutes of wheeling - perfect for a quick test session on Sunday mornings. Instead of creating threads for each truck, I thought I'd put them all in one thread. I'm driving them all over the same areas on the same lines so I can directly compare them to each other which is kinda fun in nerdy way.

So let's meet the trucks. In a sea of VRD's and TGH trucks, they're not anything special, but as far as my fleet goes they are the top of the ladder.

First is the TRX4 Carbon. I had a set of decked out TRX Sport axles with some serious brass, OD/UD, and a bunch of other goodies sitting here collecting dust. I took a chance and ordered an Injora carbon chassis for them and a take off sport transmission and it pretty much all fell together. The Ecto body fits it perfectly and overall it's a pretty nice setup. At this time I was running an outrunner to try and keep the overall chassis weight down.
20240820-185533-SM.jpg

20240820-185549-SM.jpg

I felt it did pretty good on the shakedown run, though first time out it had some issues. The GTS shocks are great, but don't have a ton of travel and were a bit stiff with the stock springs. After some head scratching and ebay surfing of shocks and spring options, I realized my SCX10 III has too much travel and way too soft springs. So in a fit of Wile E. Coyote Super Genius I killed 2 birds with one stone and just swapped them between trucks. This was it's first time out on the new shocks and overall I think they are a much better fit - spring rates are better and I get just a bit more flex. Jato was running his VRD for a nice comparison. The Carbon TRX absolutely held it's own.
20240922-092700-SM.jpg

20240902-104420-SM.jpg

Even sidehilled pretty good for a portal truck. The only issue was the noise. The Outrunner on a Castle ESC is just loud. I really like how it drives, but the constant whining in otherwise silent woods was getting to me. Plus the pinion and spur were a noisy combo for whatever reason so overall it needed a bit of tuning.
20240922-093511-SM.jpg

20240922-093524-SM.jpg

Aluminator: I figured if an old Integy aluminum chassis would do that good, a more modern carbon chassis would be better. I settled on a Power Hobby carbon chassis and tore the old girl down for a rebuild.
20240830-085655-SM.jpg

Definitely a lighter setup! 50 grams right off the bat.
20240830-093300-SM.jpg

20240830-093344-SM.jpg

However, the sunshine and rainbows ended pretty quickly when setting up the links. Clearly, they were not meant for Capra axles and it was either make some new ones or swap axles. I hate making links, so I started digging around.
20240830-121350-SM.jpg

20240830-121626-SM.jpg

In my SCX box, I had more than enough parts to build some nice AR44 axles. Also found an SOA mount I completely forgot about. So pretty much it was meant to be and I swapped everything over. Links fit perfectly and it all fell together.
20240831-083516-SM.jpg

20240831-104358-SM.jpg

Figured this would give me a nice straight axle rig to compare to the 2 portal trucks I had been running. I stole the skid, electronics, shocks and transmission from the Aluminator and almost have myself a roller. COG is ridiculous, it's stable at over 90 degrees.
20240903-194949-SM.jpg

However, I built the chassis 78mm wide and I've got a lot of rubbing. Way too much, not sure what I want to do here. Wider wheels? rebuild as 70mm and fab a new skid? Not sure.
20240902-205729-SM.jpg

So now I've got 2.5 trucks... what to do? Order some parts to get the Aluminator running again! And just like that, 2 trucks become 3 trucks. :) Well, almost, 2 of them are in parts...

So after a little dent in the old RC account, parts started rolling in for the Aluminator rebirth. New trans and skid arrived, along with a belt drive conversion. Thought I'd give it a try since I like a nice quiet truck. The steel gears were fine, just sounded like a blender going down the trail. I robbed the Holmes motor (so much for the noise!) out the TRX and moved it over here to lose some weight up top and paired it with the belt drive.
20240908-095433-SM.jpg

20240908-100415-SM.jpg

Robbed some electronics from another truck and got the old girl running. Lots of question marks about the belt drive. We'll see.
20240908-125944-SM.jpg

So I took it back to my crawl spot last weekend and had at it. I didn't take any more pics per-se, but it did fantastic as always. Belt drive was a non-issue all day - quiet and smooth. However, I flipped off the test rock which is about 4 feet in the air. I half-assed caught it, but it did smack the ground pretty hard. Looked ok at a glance, so I kept on wheeling. I wanted to swap some tires around when I got home - which I did, and while admiring the nice new KM3's I realized the rear axle was off to the side by an inch. I started playing with the links thinking I had ripped one out during the fall, but after a while I clued in that the chassis was bent.

New shoes look great
20240922-132950-SM.jpg

That's not good.
20240922-133240-SM.jpg

That's really not good.
20240922-140155-SM.jpg

And that's pretty much the end of the line for the Trail runner chassis. It was flimsy to begin with, I'm not surprised it bent. I am surprised that I got years and years of use out of it before it gave up the ghost.

I didn't want to buy a new chassis again, so I started digging around for a replacement. Settled on this home cut SCX chassis I ran a while ago. Did some mods to it and everything bolded over fairly smoothly.
20240922-151720-SM.jpg

20240923-172607-SM.jpg

BUT it would have moved the body mounts, needed new bumpers and sliders.... kinda wasn't feeling up to all that, so I tore down another truck and stole the stock steel Axial chassis and just bolted everything back on. Swapped over to brushed motor w/belt drive so it should be super quiet now. Also changed out the rear shock towers for a set with a little more adjustment so I could lean the shocks more. It's noticeably heavier, but wow - what an increase in chassis stiffness. The other one was like a wet noodle. Maybe that was the secret sauce that made it work? Time will tell.
20240928-113853-SM.jpg

Shaved the body about 1/2 inch and lowered it. I like it, it just has a mean stance to it. Cut through some of the decals so I removed them for now.
20240928-222425-SM.jpg

And that's up to current on this little adventure. As of right now:

Aluminator- needs some decals, and ready to go
TRX Carbon - Stole the electronics out, waiting on a new HH motor which is en-route.
Spare parts - Almost a roller. Need to figure out this 70/78mm chassis issue. Wasn't a problem with the wide Capra axles, but doesn't quite work with the AR44's.

Cool builds as always! I like the belt drive for less noise. I currently have belts in my traxxas Villain boat and they seem to be holding up.

Back