• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Open/lockable front diff for Vaterra Ascender?

htam

Hi folks - first post here... I'm interested in installing an open diff (which I'll make limited-slip with putty or silicon) or, if available, a lockable diff in the front axle of my Vaterra Ascender. Does anyone know how I can do this? (I have previously contacted Horizon Hobby who have said that the front diff of the Twin Hammers won't fit.) Thanks in advance for the advice... 8)

Thanks for responding. Are the Axial axles the same size so that you can just remove-and-replace, or will you have to make some mods?

If you went with axial axles it would be a step back imo, the vaterra axles have a much smaller pumpkin and different gearing to compensate, not sure how different though, why do you want the limited slip diff in the first place? Just curious.

I'm interested in this as well. I was told by a guy at my LHS that you could open the ascender axles with spider gears, but he didnt say if it required customfab or if it was a purchasable set of parts.

The ascender differential is all one piece. There are no lockers or any piece to remove and replace with spider gears. You'd have to custom fab a complete carrier, ring gear, and spider gears to make an open diff.

You could probably adapt a twin hammers independent front end into the chassis of an ascender or onget the open diff.
Ben

Huh. Im so surprised that with all the scale RC advancements in the last 5-7 years, no one has made realistic open diff axles, or at least ones that have the capability of being open. I know the SCX10 axles can take spider gears, but we need more options.

Back