• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Novak's New Mongoose Crawler Sensored Brushless System!!!

Rockpiledriver

I wanna be Dave
Check it out guys and gals. Novak just released their new crawler system for the Mini. I have been putting a prototype through it's paces for the past month. This new combo is perfect for the Losi MRC. Smooth as butter low end, and plenty of power on 2s lipo, but can be used with 3s too. "thumbsup"

3055system1200pxxc5.jpg

RELEASE For Immediate Release #3055 Mongoose Crawler Micro Brushless System – 18.5T

NOVAK’S MONGOOSE CONQUERS NEW TERRITORY Irvine, CA – January 12, 2009 – Crawling has taken on a new dimension, and Novak is following its lead by introducing a pint-size counterpart to 1/10-scale crawling. Bred from the Goat Crawler Brushless System (#3019) but sized the same as the Mongoose Micro Systems (#3050 - #3052),

Novak’s Mongoose Crawler Micro Brushless System – 18.5T (#3055) is the first micro sensor-based system specifically designed for 1/18-scale crawler vehicles. The fully-programmable Mongoose Crawler System includes all of the features found in the Goat System, such as instant throttle response, super low-speed drivability and explosive torque, but also includes the ability to run on two or three-cell Li-Po batteries, which the speed control automatically detects through Novak’s auto detect software. Though the micro-sized system packs a lot of power, it fits perfectly in Losi’s® Mini Rock Crawler™, giving users the edge in crawling competitions.

THE MIGHTY MONGOOSE The Mongoose Crawler’s powerful 18.5-turn motor scales over other brushed motors because of its massive start up and low-speed torque. The 380-sized motor features a sensor-based commutation design to ensure no hesitation before acceleration, and provides smooth braking and controlled delivery of power. It provides longer run times than any stock crawler brushed motor and is as powerful as any dual crawler-micro brushed motor setup. Additionally, the brushless motor includes a high-strength sintered rotor with a rugged 1/8” shaft for stronger motor braking power and improved performance in higher temperature conditions. And like all Novak motors, it is completely rebuildable, allowing for the ability to upgrade or replace various motor parts.

LARGE ROCKS, YOU SAY? NO PROBLEM. The Mongoose Crawler offers a plethora of crawling opportunities that are simply unavailable in stock crawler brushed systems. The micro crawler ESC comprises four throttle profiles to fine tune any crawler’s preference.

Linear Crawler — maintains standard motor response in forward/reverse, and features high-powered drag brakes.

Expo Crawler — features the standard crawler profile but uses a built-in exponential curve for smoother response.

Servo/Robotic Mode — features precise and symmetric motor control in forward and reverse for robot applications, but without the drag brake.

Brushed Mode — is automatically selected when used with a brushed motor.

The modifiable programming doesn’t end there. The micro crawler also includes a fully-programmable interface that can be adjusted with Novak’s easy One-Touch™ button and four-colored status LEDs. Moreover, Novak has also built into the ESC a Li-Po Cut-Off Circuitry feature, which prevents the batteries from going below the critical safety voltage level and can be activated in all four throttle profiles. For further crawling opportunities, the built-in motor rotation direction can be modified in any of the three brushless profiles; Zero Reverse Delay is available in all profiles for instant power delivery in both forward and reverse when needed; and adjustable hill/drag brakes are active in profiles one and two, which use battery power to slow the vehicle to a wheel-locking stop.

The Mongoose Crawler ESC has also been outfitted with a rugged 6 volt / 2 amp BEC to provide powerful and precise steering while embarking on unsteady landscape, with no additional BEC to purchase or install.

Novak’s Mongoose Crawler Micro Brushless System – 18.5T (#3055) is scheduled to ship in late January 2009. For more information about this product, visit the Novak Web site (www.teamnovak.com).

MONGOOSE CRAWLER MICRO BRUSHLESS SYSTEM FEATURES
Four user-selectable throttle profiles (3 brushless, 1 brushed) that feature Zero Reverse Delay
Fully programmable interface using Novak’s One-Touch™ button to adjust high-power Hill/Drag Brakes (in brushless crawler profiles), Minimum Drive and Deadband. Drive Frequency is adjustable in Brushed Mode only
Built-in Motor Rotation Reversing (can be activated in brushless modes only)
Sensor-based technology for excellent low-speed drivability
Water-resistant case
Thermal Overload Protection and Novak’s Radio-Priority Circuitry™
Oversized Front Bearing for extra durability and extended life
Aluminum ribbed end bells for additional cooling
Direct-Solder Wiring Tabs for flexible soldering options
Minimal Maintenance
Designed and assembled by Novak in Irvine, Calif., using globally-sourced components

MONGOOSE CRAWLER MICRO BRUSHLESS SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS
Forward/Reverse ..................... Forward, Hill/Drag Brake, Reverse
Input Voltage ............................ 2-3S Li-Po cells or 4-9 Ni-Cd/Ni-MH cells (1.2V/cell)
On-Resistance ......................... 0.0038 ohms* (brushless per phase); 0.0038 ohms* (brushed)
ESC Footprint .......................... 1.15” x 0.95” (29.0 x 24.3 mm)
Weight (system) ....................... 3.31 oz. (93.70 g)
Rated & Braking Current .......... 40 amps* (brushless per phase); 40 amps* (brushed)
Power Wires ............................. 16-Gauge
BEC ......................................... 6.0 volt/2.0 amp
Motor Limit ............................... 18.5-turn (brushless); 22-turn (brushed mode) [380-size or smaller motor]
Battery/Motor Plug ................... None (battery); 2mm Connectors (motor)
Voltage Cut-Off ........................ 6.25 volts (2S) or 9.38 volts (3S) (when Li-Poly Cutoff Circuitry is enabled)
Number of Turns: ..................... 18.5
Design: ..................................... Sensor-based
Watts ........................................ 82
Kv (unloaded) ........................... 4,400 RPM/Volt
Motor Size: ............................... 380 size: 1.02”D x 1.48”L (26.0D x 37.7L mm)
Shaft Diameter: ........................ 0.125” (3.2 mm) [accepts all existing pinion gears]
Bearing: ................................... Oversized (1/2” x 3/16”) Front; Standard Rear (7mm x 3mm) REPLACEMENT / OPTIONAL PARTS
#5210 - #5212 Mod 0.5 Aluminum Pinion Gear Sets: 11T - 19T (optional) For Losi® Mini Rock Crawler™ use Mod 0.5: 15T
#5304 Input Plug Harness: Mini (optional)
#5509 16G Silicone Brushless Wire Set (replacement)
#5683 Power Trans-Cap Module – Mongoose (optional)
#5720 - #5723 Low-Loss Power Connectors (replacement)
#5915 Three-80 Sintered Rotor (replacement)
#5916 Three-80 Bearing and End Bell Kit (replacement)

*Transistor’s rating at 25 degrees C junction temperature. Mini Rock Crawler™ is a registered trademark of Losi®. One-Touch Set-Up™ and Radio-Priority Circuitry™ are registered trademarks of Novak Electronics, Inc®.

did they fix the glitching common with the goat crawler system????

Im currently running 2 goat brushless systems on my berg. I have my origonal. That has never been glitchy. Ran it for a year in my axial. It still dosen't glitch And i have a new goat brushless that glitches. Its really interesting to watch. One glitch the other not. Comming from the same reciver. same everything eles. but one glitches and one dosen't. So i wonder if its hit and miss. You might get a good one. You might not. but they are smooth. when its not glitching.

I have never had a glitch problem with any of the several goat systems I have. I also have not experienced any glitching with the prototype Mongoose.

Now I just need another one to see what other rigs this might work in. ;-)

"The Mongoose Crawler ESC has also been outfitted with a rugged 6 volt / 2 amp BEC to provide powerful and precise steering while embarking on unsteady landscape, with no additional BEC to purchase or install"

Who they kidding?:roll: 5 amp min 10 would be the bestest "thumbsup"
I am guessing only 3 sensored? so every 120 degrees, I wonder how this will comapre to a brushed in control?

well mine glitches. Only one though. I know a few peoples who have goats and theres glitch.. When you have instructions on how to stop glitching on the novak web sight. you know you have a product that has the potential to glitch. by the sound of the product description. It sounds like its exactly the same as a goat but smaller.

I have never had a glitch problem with any of the several goat systems I have. I also have not experienced any glitching with the prototype Mongoose.

Now I just need another one to see what other rigs this might work in. ;-)

Dammit you couldn't have posted this on Monday before I paid for the 13.5 setup :x. Shit now I'll have to sell it or see if my guy will let me trade for that one. :-(

These things are like computers....upgrade every 6months to stay current.
Just when I think I'm done something like this comes out and I want it. Shhhhh, don't tell the wife:lol:

then why would only one. esc and motor glitch and the other not. When they are both useing the same radio. DX3R. and reciver. I have even resodered all connection. its the exact same set up on both esc motor combos on the same rig. one glitches. the other dose not. Dosen't glitch all the time. But every so often it will glitch right off of neutral. I even have the none glitching motor set to with a higher minimum drive to assist the other motor. But it dosen't matter.

The only thing that i have noticed that helps is to cycle the power to the esc's. The glitching will go away for awhile.

don't get me wrong. I love how the novak goats work.. when they work without glitching.

Usually glitching is related to installation, loose connections or radio issues. If you need assistance with any Novak products

cs@teamnovak.com
steve@teamnovak.com
charlie@teamnovak.com

Last edited:
Yea were still waiting for the "micro" crawler from losi....I can dream cant I.

Are there any upgrades needed to be made to run brushless without tearing up the original drive parts??

I was very lucky to have tested this system and I really liked the way it proformed. The only think I dont like is that they didnt call it what I thought they were going to call it.

Back