• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Nominations for Recommended ESC's

StomperCrawler

RCC Addict
Dear RCC Peeps,

Please reply with your nominations for best ESC's (EVEN IF THEY'RE ALREADY LISTED IN THE THREAD).

Feel free to include things like:

• Why you're recommending it
  • Comments/qualifications
  • Experience/history (personal RC & with the particular ESC)
  • Recommended application(s) (slow crawling, rock racing, combo)
  • Specs
  • Price
...and you're welcome to nominate more than one ESC.

Once we have the nominations, they will be correlated into the following categories:

1. Brushed Novice - up to $25
  2. Brushed Sportsman - $26-$75
  3. Brushed Pro - >$75
  4. Brushless Novice - up to $25
  5. Brushless Sportsman - $26-$75
  6. Brushless Pro - >$75
...and we can proceed to vote for our favorites in each category! :ror:

Last edited:
Here are my nominations based on a ton of research:
  1. $113 Castle Mamba Max Pro (brushed/brushless)
  2. $109 Holmes BR-XL Waterproof (brushed) - 2s to 6s lipo input, 6v 5a switchmode BEC, no 540 motor limit, Castle Link programmable, Regenerative Drag Brake, Active Hold Brake and Quiet mode
  3. $22 HobbyWing 1060 (brushed) - 6-9c NIMH & 2s/3s lipo 12t/18t motor limit with lvc, 6v 3a BEC, waterproof, 60/360a constant/burst with 30a constant for reverse
If you also recommend/nominate any of these, by all means add info that I missed. ;-)

Turnigy trackstar 150A. Very smooth esc running sensored brushless with fantastic drag brake. $90 makes it hard to beat.

Mamba max pro. Does everything I need it to for $107 on ebay. And I have had a good experience with there warranty department also.

My Tekin FXR,s have held up well for years,
I also use the Dynamite ESC from Horizon for 35 bucks
60a
waterproof
f/r
3s lipo compatible
lipo cut off
crawler mode
drag brake
after 2 years of abuse still holding strong

Brushless

Castle Mamba Monster X
Factory waterproof, 6.5mm phase connectors, programmable aux wire, sensored or non, 8 amp internal adjustable BEC, 2s-6s, telemetry, data logging, extremely smooth even when running unsensored.

Brushed

Holmes BRXL for the same reasons stomper mentioned.

I run a Hobbywing 10BL60-Sensored on my Vaterra Ascender. Cheap, small, works perfectly, has enough drag brake for scale use.
Would buy again!

Brushed - HobbyWing QuicRun 1060 WP or HobbyKing X-Car 45A. Both are simple, reliable ESC's with smooth operation and a decent, nonadjustable drag brake.
Brushed high end - Tekin FXR - great brushed ESC.

Brushless - HobbyWing Justock or Xtreme Stock - ultra smooth, ultra reliable, high-end quality ESC at budget prices.
- HobbyKing X-Car or Trackstar ESCs. Again, budget ESCs with great reliability and operation

I recommend Hobbywing for the price and reliablility.
Comments/qualifications - I have owned several.
Experience/history (personal RC & with the particular ESC) 120Amp Brushless, 1060 and 1040 brushed models.
Recommended application(s) (slow crawling, rock racing, combo) I recommend the HW 1040 brushed with a 35T motor.
Specs - Forward / Reverse / Drag Brake
Price - ~22 bucks

Brushed Novice - up to $25 an used Dynamite ESC from a Twin Hammers an inexpensive ESC with all you need
Brushed Sportsman - $26-$75 OUTCRY CRAWLER SPEED CONTROLLER ESC WITH TURBOBEC nice combo ESC/BEC
Brushed Pro - >$75 Castle Sidewinder 3 can pilot a brushless motor(unsensored) but is best for brushless
Brushless Novice - up to $25 are you kidding me? :mrgreen:
Brushless Sportsman - $26-$75 Robitronic Speedstar Brushless Crawler drag brake
Brushless Pro - >$75 Castle Mamba Max Pro

For an inexpensive brushed the Axial AE-5 actually works quite well and can be had for cheap off of eBay.

Brushless, waterproof and pretty small footprint Holmes BLE

Brushless, waterproof, lots of bells and whistles, larger footprint but handles a lot of power Mamba Moster X and it already has a good BEC

The mamba monster x is awesome it is better than the mmp in almost every way except size. Plus it's only like 135 on ebay.

Back