• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

No drag brake on my 1080.

Smonkman

Quarry Creeper
Hey guys,
Ran into a new issue with my TF2 at my class 1 comp today. The drag brake no longer held on any inclines. I’m running a 1080 with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport 13t.
I assumed it was the programming on my 1080 but when I hooked up the programming card my Max Brake Force was 100% and my Drag Brake was at 100%, with the Drag Break Rate set a level 9.

Am I missing something? Do I have the esc programmed wrong or is there something else at play here?

Thanks!

I can never remember which way is correct. But it is active drag brake. Or drag brake when not in neutral.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Pretty sure HobbyWing recommends that Freewheeling be turned "On" for use in a crawler, off for regular R/C vehicles.

They've never really explained exactly what it does, just that it has better linearity during low-speed running and also less heat.

"Off" is supposed to give slightly better acceleration.

Pretty sure HobbyWing recommends that Freewheeling be turned "On" for use in a crawler, off for regular R/C vehicles.

They've never really explained exactly what it does, just that it has better linearity during low-speed running and also less heat.

"Off" is supposed to give slightly better acceleration.

Funny I was about to post a new thread asking just what the whole freewheeling thing meant, but at the risk of highjacking this thread. From the manual: "For a crawler we suggest enabling it. With it enabled, your crawler can have a better linearity during a low speed running and also less heat."

Basically then when freewheeling is on your tire will not freewheel faster then the motor going down hill.

Drag brake only works in neutral.

Freewheel is drag brake when you are not in neutral.

So if your throttle trim is off, you are not in neutral and not using drag brake. If freewheeling is also off your call will roll downhill with gravity or motor speed, which ever is faster.

Replace active drag with freewheeling in this video
https://youtu.be/zvGCOfVIXVM

Last edited:
Basically then when freewheeling is on your tire will not freewheel faster then the motor going down hill.

So if your throttle trim is off, you are not in neutral and not using drag brake. If freewheeling is also off your call will roll downhill with gravity or motor speed, which ever is faster.

Voodoobrew, many thanks for that video, it finally makes sense to me!

Finally a concise explanation for this. I always wondered what it actually did but never turned it off to try to figure it out.

You'd think though with a name like "freewheeling" you'd disable, not enable it for the effect it actually does. Or call it freewheel braking or something.

Finally a concise explanation for this. I always wondered what it actually did but never turned it off to try to figure it out.

You'd think though with a name like "freewheeling" you'd disable, not enable it for the effect it actually does. Or call it freewheel braking or something.

Probably an issue with translation, many instruction manuals haven't had adequate proof-reading, coming from overseas companies... ;-)

Probably an issue with translation, many instruction manuals haven't had adequate proof-reading, coming from overseas companies... ;-)
Maybe its on purpose...

But generally Freewheeling is considered the opposite of regenerative braking, which is what this option should be called.

I’m glad that I stumbled on this thread. I’m gonna check all my 1080 escs now because I’m pretty certain I would have disabled it on them just given the name of the setting. I got so irritated with one of my trucks because it crept even with all of the settings maxed. Ran out of patience and bought a Holmes BRXL (?) to replace the 1080.

Last edited:
This is why throttle calibration is important. If you were actually still in neutral and creeping down hill then you are over geared IMO.

Back