• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Next crawler build

gein

Rock Stacker
Hi guys, im looking for a scale trail/crawler, kit preferably since i like building my RC's but i am not totally closed to the idea of a RTR base for my project.

The goal is to have a truck that i could take to the mountain trails with my 8 years old son and our current RR10 Bomber.

The kid is really good with RC's, started running them at a very young age :)

Not a lot of kit out there right now but ive looked into the different TRX4 and their sport counterpart versions, SCX10 III and Basecamp of course, Gmade GS02F, Gatekeeper, Phoenix etc...Even looked at the Cross RC options.

As much as i want to build a kit, seems like there is some really good RTR options now of the same platforms with "decent" electronics.

So, what would you build of buy in 2023?

In all honesty most of the well know brands have really good offerings at the moment, I think it depends in your location and what you plan to do with it... from your intro it seems to be a trail truck you are after. Many options in the table but what about support... this will probably what you should ask yourself. Do you have the parts support in your area to keep your rig running when parts break? Hobby shops in your area might only carry certain brands and parts available. I would stay away from the likes of cross rc and other brands that you can only get parts from overseas. The latest offerings from Vanquish-(Fordyce/Phoenix), axial(Basecamp), Element(Ecto/Utron/Senderohd) Traxxas(TRX-4) will be the best options as you can assure you will get something capable and durable as well as parts availability when things break. Im sure you will find one or many that will suit your needs and wants. They tend to multiply once you go down the rabbit hole.

Yeah i already have a couple of bashers already, plus my bomber :)

Not much support locally for anything, closest hobbyshops are probably 1 hour away and carries only big brands parts...

I usually end up ordering everything online.

When things break, im done and i have to switch to another rig while im waiting for parts.

I tought the trail trucks were probably less prone to break if you use them as trail trucks, the biggest mistake i made with my bomber is trying to bash with it, the damn thing was always broken.

Youre definitely right about parts availlability, but since im used to wait for parts anyway and nobodies life depends on it, i still considered some less popular options like the Cross RC and Gmade...

For sure the Vanquish and TRX4 kits are high on my list and proven to be good solid options.

I hoped to get some feedback here on the GMADE and Cross RC , seems like their latest updated offerings gets pretty decent reviews...

Is the new trail truck for you or your son? Slow down the Bomber for him, and take a cherry new ride.

I don’t have a VP or tf2 but have driven them, Gmade and cross look great. You won’t go wrong with any of them, builders kits included. Reliable electronics can be had for cheap. Finding a body on the other hand gets difficult with choosing preference. Oddly enough I have more time on a trx4 than everything else combined.

Is the new trail truck for you or your son? Slow down the Bomber for him, and take a cherry new ride.

I don’t have a VP or tf2 but have driven them, Gmade and cross look great. You won’t go wrong with any of them, builders kits included. Reliable electronics can be had for cheap. Finding a body on the other hand gets difficult with choosing preference. Oddly enough I have more time on a trx4 than everything else combined.

Thats the plan, ill slow down the bomber for him and daddy will build a new rig for himself :)

Now i need to choose the base for that project :)

It’s not easy picking a rig these days, there are just too many good options.

Over the last few years I’ve owned multiple trx4’s, scx10.2’s, scx10.3’s, vs410’s, and element rigs. Fwiw I have more vs410 based rigs (4) currently in my fleet, 2 10.3’s, 1 Capra, and one gatekeeper for my son.

It really comes down to how you prioritize budget, performance, upgradability, durability and scale detail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, im trying to get the best value taking in consideration several things like the type of scale body i would like for the truck.

I definitely like the Phoenix, Ecto, GS02F BOM bodies, old pickup truck bodies but not a full cage since i already have the bomber.

TRX4 sport kit is a very nice value, but i would have to replace the included body for something else...Same for the gatekeeper kit...

So maybe a gmade Bom or Phoenix, or a builders kit without the body....

Im going to a local hobby shop on friday so lets see how it goes :)

GS02F Buffalo is an awesome truck if you shim those diffs. Runs quiet and the 2-speed has a good speed difference.

Ended up buying a Phoenix straight axle kit, should receive it next week!

Cant wait to build this thing! :)

Good choice I think you will be happy with it

Good choice I think you will be happy with it

I think so.

Looking at electronics now.

Brushed or brushless...

What are you guys running in your crawlers now?

With the low prices of the HW fusion SE systems, seems a no brainer to go brushless...

I have both (HH brushed and Fusion 1200kV). I don't comp, just trail and some climbing. They both are great performers.

I’m a fan of the fusions for sure. Double check and make sure the se will fit the vfd trans though

I’m still a big fan of a 1080/Holmes Crawlmaster sport combo. Particularly the 13t 540. Really hard to beat, and I’ve had everything from tekin roc412/rx4, mamba x/slate, mamba x/puller pro v2, mamba micro/puller pro stubby, axe 540…

One of my favorite setups at the moment is a Holmes brxl and a Holmes torquemaster expert. But even that, idk if it’s worth the extra cost over a 1080/Holmes sport motor.

I have a fusion pro waiting to be installed tomorrow and I can’t wait, I just got the motor screws today.

I do have a HW1080 and crawl master pro that is fantastic.

Crawlmaster sport 540 13T / HW1080 G2 on order :)

I presume you guys run this on 3S ?

Back