• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie wheel issue

kurpis

Rock Stacker
Hi,

I have a RGT Rock Cruiser 136100v2 and I think I'm having an issue with my front wheel on the passenger side.

When I hold the truck in the air and test it, all 4 wheels drive fine. However, I can spin the wheel with my hand when its not running. The wheel doesn't spin effortlessly, but it does spin and the front driverside wheel doesnt spin at all.

You should also know that I broke my original steering mount on the side with the issue and replaced both steering mounts with aluminum upgrades recently.

Please help me out and give me your opinion about what the issue could be and how I can go about fixing it. I'm open to any and all suggestions and will be happy to look into it more carefully and get anyone any other information that may be needed to help identify and fix the problem.

Thanks so much!!!!

Sounds like you may have a broken axle on that side, or maybe it's not properly set in place in the locker (diff).
Suggest removing the steering mount and fiddling with the axle to see if you can set it back into the locker. That is, if it's not a broken axle.

its hard to say for sure alot of the cheaper rigs use.plastic lockers that have a tendency to strip out
you could have snaped a axle shaft or you could have sheered the wheel hex drive pin
or you could have striped the hex on the wheel thats commin on cheap plastic wheels

its hard to say for sure alot of the cheaper rigs use.plastic lockers that have a tendency to strip out
you could have snaped a axle shaft or you could have sheered the wheel hex drive pin
or you could have striped the hex on the wheel thats commin on cheap plastic wheels

What should I look for to identify a:
  • Hex on the wheel that's stripped?
  • A wheel hex drive pin that's been stripped?
  • A snapped axle shaft?
  • A stripped locker?

I'm very much a newbie so any help is very much appreciated!

Sounds like you may have a broken axle on that side, or maybe it's not properly set in place in the locker (diff).
Suggest removing the steering mount and fiddling with the axle to see if you can set it back into the locker. That is, if it's not a broken axle.

What does the axle look like (sorry I'm a newbie :))?

How exactly do I set the axle back in the locker by fiddling with it? Also, how do I set it if fiddling doesn't work?

Thanks so much for the response!

first you take the wheel off and look at the back of the wheel and make sure its not broken
once the wheel is off you will seemthe hex its looks like a nut 12mm with 8 sides
take that off and there should be a pin if that pin is good keep taking stuff apart till you find something broken
your most likely gona have to take the entire axle apart to find the problem
most likely its the locker/diff holder

you might try finding a manual for that rig for referance

The hex (6 sides, not 8 :)) looks ok, as does the wheel.
Pull the hex off the axle. There should be a pin that goes thru the axle that holds the hex from spinning on the axle. If that's missing, there's your problem.
If the pin is there, don't lose it!!! Those things have a way of getting lost (ask anyone here :))
Next, take the steering knuckle off. Once that is off, look at the pin on the end of the axle. Is it worn?
Now you should be able to fiddle with the axle to see if "locked" into the locker inside the diff. If it spins around without the opposite wheel turning, you have an internal issue inside the diff.

Sorry for not posting pics sooner. Thanks again for the help!
the wheel looks good the outside of the hex is good i cant tell if that axle has dog bones or cv shafts if it has cvs then there would be a pin in there that has a tendancy to snap and or break

i cant tell what axle that rig uses im guessing its the 1/16 scale axles that other hsp china based rigs use i went through 2 plastic lockers during shutdown already it dosent take much to strip them and they do make metal ones

i think we need more pics

heres a few picks of a locker thats inside of the axle this is the good side
nevNyFYl.jpg

heres the bad side you can see the center is all chewed up
vOiqV25l.jpg

heres a few picks of a locker thats inside of the axle this is the good side
nevNyFYl.jpg

heres the bad side you can see the center is all chewed up
vOiqV25l.jpg

Thanks for all the help and the photos. Its exactly what I was looking for. I'll do what you suggested tonight or tomorrow and let you know the results. I'll get some more pics as well. What RC Crawler do you currently drive?

Thanks again man.

Thanks for all the help and the photos. Its exactly what I was looking for. I'll do what you suggested tonight or tomorrow and let you know the results. I'll get some more pics as well. What RC Crawler do you currently drive?

Thanks again man.
i have somewere around 12 crawlers running right now but that picture was of a maxstone 16/redcat everest 16 basic a chinese off brand rig

the cheap 16th scale and 12th scale and some 10th scale rigs alot of times come with plastic lockers

you might not need to go that far though

only one way to find out

i have somewere around 12 crawlers running right now but that picture was of a maxstone 16/redcat everest 16 basic a chinese off brand rig

the cheap 16th scale and 12th scale and some 10th scale rigs alot of times come with plastic lockers

you might not need to go that far though

only one way to find out

Hi!

Since I last wrote, I took off the front passenger side wheel and began breaking it down layer by layer. Part by part. I attached photos of where I'm at so far.

The pin (the one you mentioned gets lost) has been lost in the past. I didnt know the name of the part, the size or what to do so I bought a set of used hex nuts and used the pin from that. Then after losing one of the replacements, I installed a second replacement pin and crazy glued it in. Now I'm having trouble removing it to break things down further. What are the names and size of these pins and why do they come out so easily? Its not only annoying, but one time it slipped out and prevent the truck from moving forward until I pushed it back in.

I noticed the axle clicks about a quarter rotation and stops when I rotate it manually.

How should I proceed?

Thanks again for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200428_0114301.jpg
    IMG_20200428_0114301.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_20200428_0114077.jpg
    IMG_20200428_0114077.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 253
  • IMG_20200428_0111515.jpg
    IMG_20200428_0111515.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 251
The pin is usually "captured" by the axle hex. The back side of the hex should have a slot that slides over the pin to lock the hex to the axle and prevent the pin from falling out. The pins come in different diameters and lengths. You must match the pin to the hex, if the pin is too long the hex will not "capture" it when you put the wheel on and tighten it. Its possible the hex is right and the pin is wrong or the pin is right and the hex is wrong. You'll need to check your manual to find out what the original parts were and what might fit.

I might have misunderstood. Are you talking about the pin joining the fixed axle to the steering axle? That is also a common problem. A lot of axles will use a sleeve of some kind over the axle to retain the pin. Others will use a grub screw tightened against the pin. You might be able to knock the pin out with a small punch.

Last edited:
that axle shaft looks like its missing a part take it out and break it down ill bet the barrel fell out
and its just turning on the pin this could allow the shaft to come out of the locker and spin free
there is saposed to be a coller on there also to hold that pin in place

take a look at the other side and see what all is there

also alittle heat softens up most glues

Last edited:
The pin is usually "captured" by the axle hex. The back side of the hex should have a slot that slides over the pin to lock the hex to the axle and prevent the pin from falling out. The pins come in different diameters and lengths. You must match the pin to the hex, if the pin is too long the hex will not "capture" it when you put the wheel on and tighten it. Its possible the hex is right and the pin is wrong or the pin is right and the hex is wrong. You'll need to check your manual to find out what the original parts were and what might fit.

I might have misunderstood. Are you talking about the pin joining the fixed axle to the steering axle? That is also a common problem. A lot of axles will use a sleeve of some kind over the axle to retain the pin. Others will use a grub screw tightened against the pin. You might be able to knock the pin out with a small punch.
It's the axle pin. Was finally able to pop it out. Photos coming soon. Thanks.

that axle shaft looks like its missing a part take it out and break it down ill bet the barrel fell out
and its just turning on the pin this could allow the shaft to come out of the locker and spin free
there is saposed to be a coller on there also to hold that pin in place

take a look at the other side and see what all is there

also alittle heat softens up most glues

Just like you said Ferp420! The little barrel on the bad side fell out and it was turning on the pin. I took apart the axle and removed casing. First time I've ever done it. I have included photos of the axle & little barrel from the good side that I'm missing on the bad side. I also included some pics of everything else. Does anything look broken or in need of a change? Thanks again man! You nailed the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20200504_0223392.jpg
    IMG_20200504_0223392.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_20200504_0219186.jpg
    IMG_20200504_0219186.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20200504_0219459.jpg
    IMG_20200504_0219459.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_20200504_0235510.jpg
    IMG_20200504_0235510.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20200504_0225572.jpg
    IMG_20200504_0225572.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 181
Looks.like you need a dab of grease on your ring and pinion. Shimming the gears also helps prolong life.

Back