• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie looking for advice...

GEWarEagle

I've been looking and reading for a few months and have decided I would like to build a kit. I am down to the SCX10 Jeep Cherokee or the RR10 Bomber. I believe I will prefer speed over crawling and I really like accurate scale the SCX10 gives. I live on the Alabama Gulf Coast so there's not a lot of crawling down this way. I like that the Bomber can be upgraded to the two speed tranny but not sure if I would ever upgrade since the standard is the high speed.

I'm drawn to the kit because of the upgrades and building it is half the fun. My last RC build was a Blackfoot 30 years ago but did a lot of upgrades. By the looks of things... RCing and kits have come a long way since then.

Any suggestions... pointers... advice... pros and cons... will be greatly appreciated. I'm probably 30-60 days from my purchase. I'm sure I'll have many more questions about motors, electronics, etc in the future.

Thanks

Your post, to me, sounds like your leaning towards the Bomber. I have both, and I don't think I cold choose one over the other. My word of advice is to definitely get the kit either way (both are 2 speed capable, by the way), watch a lot of videos online and read build threads here to see what you like. The Bomber can crawl great and go quicker/ is more versatile. SCX10 II is somewhat useless for speed (having said that, imthatguy has a wicked video of his doing some good speed stuff), but is generally really only good for moderate trailing speeds and crawling. If you want fast in either case, you are going to want a good sensored brushless system. If you get back into the hobby, there's a good chance you'll end up with both at some point anyways LOL.

Slower crawling = SCX10 II or Ascender. Cheaper (brushed setup) with less broken parts or need for aluminum parts ($$$$)
Fast = Traxxas
Slow crawling & Fast = Bomber, sensored brushless setup, some aluminum parts

Good luck!

If I was in your position, I would go for the Bomber. I think it is more suited for speed. I have a Yeti, and It is very fun to drive Fast. Also I was at an indoor comp a few weeks ago and I saw an RTR Bomber crawl the course very well. So you can probably have the your cake and eat it too with the Bomber. Lots of fun speeding around, and do some rock crawling if you find a cool spot to crawl. I too am a born again RC nut, and yes the kits are the way to go. Welcome to the club. "thumbsup"

If you think you're going to like speed over crawling you will. The Bomber is the best dual use (crawling and go fast) rig on the planet right now. Just make sure you get the kit. It comes with nice upgrades.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. You guys helped me figure it out and it looks like I'll get the Bomber kit. I believe I was leaning that way but the info you guys gave me helped me know I was thinking correctly.

Hope to see you guys out here a lot more in the coming months and years.

GE

Back