• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie internal BEC question

IPT

Quarry Creeper
Ok, this is embarrassing to ask, but I don't know the answer. If I recall my Wraith has an external BEC that drew power straight off the batter wires and then out to the servo bypassing the ESC. Now I am building a Bomber and I got the Mamba X with internal BEC. I'll be using the Savox SA1230SG Monster Torque CORELESS Steel Gear SERVO at 6v.

Here's the green behind the ears part. How do I access the internal BEC power? I am thinking that once I plug the ESC into the Rx the internal BEC powers the servo plug/port and I set the power amount in the Castle link. Is that correct? Could I also use this to power some small lights? Would that just go into one of the other ports on the Rx?

Sorry for the simplicity here. I'm sure this is foundational, but as you can see my foundation is still being built!

WHile we're at it. Exactly what is the Aux wire from the Mamba X for and can you give me an example of how that is intended to be hooked up and used?

Just to kill it before it grows, because someone will suggest it... You do not need an external BEC with the Mamba X.

With that, you are correct, you install the Castle Link software onto your computer, start the software. Plug the Castle link into the ESC, then into the computer via a USB port, the software should recognize your ESC and load the profile. Then you go to the appropriate tab for the BEC power and select the voltage you want. Once you are done with your settings you update the ESC, when the update is done, disconnect everything and drive it like you rented it!

Most likely the firmware on your ESC will be out of date and the Castle Link will suggest updating it. Tell it to update, but be very careful, if you lose connection while it is writing the firmware you'll brick the ESC.

A couple of notes...
• Do not set the BEC for a higher voltage than your battery. So, if you are only running 2S, don't set the BEC for 8VDC.
• Make sure your electronics you are feeding with the BEC can handle the voltage. For instance, a Traxxas RX is only rated at 6VDC, max, at 6.5VDC it fries.
• For LEDs, make sure you have a load in line with the LED, a 100ohm resistor works well. Also, make sure the LEDs are rated for the voltage you are running. I like Common Sense LEDs, they have a very wide voltage range and come pre-wired with load resistors.

Finally:
Today's new kid is tomorrow's expert... Keep asking questions...

Last edited:
Just to kill it before it grows, because someone will suggest it... You do not need an external BEC with the Mamba X.

With that, you are correct, you install the Castle Link software onto your computer, start the software. Plug the Castle link into the ESC, then into the computer via a USB port, the software should recognize your ESC and load the profile. Then you go to the appropriate tab for the BEC power and select the voltage you want. Once you are done with your settings you update the ESC, when the update is done, disconnect everything and drive it like you rented it!

Most likely the firmware on your ESC will be out of date and the Castle Link will suggest updating it. Tell it to update, but be very careful, if you lose connection while it is writing the firmware you'll brick the ESC.

A couple of notes...
• Do not set the BEC for a higher voltage than your battery. So, if you are only running 2S, don't set the BEC for 8VDC.
• Make sure your electronics you are feeding with the BEC can handle the voltage. For instance, a Traxxas RX is only rated at 6VDC, max, at 6.5VDC it fries.
• For LEDs, make sure you have a load in line with the LED, a 100ohm resistor works well. Also, make sure the LEDs are rated for the voltage you are running. I like Common Sense LEDs, they have a very wide voltage range and come pre-wired with load resistors.

Finally:
Today's new kid is tomorrow's expert... Keep asking questions...

Excellent, thank you!

I'll look at those LED's. If I recall, on my Traxxas I just bought a light bar and plugged it into the Rx. I will set the internal BEC for 6v for sure. Would I still plug the Common Sense LED's into the Rx as well for power and know they were getting 6v so order accordingly?

Back