• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New To Crawling

Scale Build

Rock Stacker
Hey guys, like the title says, i'm new to crawling. I have some experience with on-road and drift RC from many years ago, but i'm clueless when it comes to crawling. I recently picked up a SCX24 and started modding it immediately. I was hooked!

This led to my next purchase, the TRX4 Sport Kit. I have assembled the kit and painted the body. I'm just trying to choose electronics now. I ordered a HobbyWing 1080 ESC, as it is highly recommended on this forum. I was also going to order a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550 12T motor. I'm open to suggestions, but there seems to be good reviews for this motor and the TRX4 Sport. I'm not entering any comps, just looking to have some fun. So I'd like a motor that has low speed control for crawling and decent wheel speed for the trails. As for the servo, I settled on the Savox 1210.

I'd love some suggestions for a good radio and 3S battery. I've looked at the Spektrum DX5 Rugged and the FlySky GT5. The FlySky has a great price but feels a bit risky, I could be wrong. The Spektrum looks great, but has mixed reviews. I'd like something 5 channel so I can run my lights and eventually a winch. Any recommendations for a battery and radio, as well as any general crawling advice, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

So I took a risk and got the GT5 and I felt the same as you, I was a little worried about it. Shortly after, my brother picked up a Dsx5.

My brother is constantly jealous of my GT5. Mostly because I have a backlit display and it cost less and yet works every bit as good as his.

Skip ahead a month and his DX5 broke, the toggle button messed up. He tried to fix it on his own (voided warranty) and it was junk. So he went out and got a DX5 Rugged this time. Thinking it would last longer. it lasted 2 weeks and started having touch pad issues. Sure Spektrum sent him a new one this time. but still.

I can buy 3 GT5's for the cost of his DX5 rugged and so far I'm still on controller one.

So take that little story for what it's worth, but I've been loving my GT5 and I use it in in rain or snow. It does chew through batteries a little faster than I'd like but I picked up some rechargables. It says it can use a lipo battery, but to me that's not worth the effort as the only one that fits is some no name battery on amazon.

Rechargable double A's are easy to swap in the field with a spare set.

I can buy 3 GT5's for the cost of his DX5 rugged and so far I'm still on controller one.

And don't forget to factor in the cost of additional receivers for the GT5 (about $20 each) vs. Spektrum. :D

And before you call me a Flysky fan boy, I primarily fly airplanes and I use Spektrum gear for that. 8)

Thanks guys! I ended up going with the GT5! So far this is the setup below:

TRX4 Sport Kit
1.9 Beadlock wheels (Amazon)
FlySky GT5 Radio
Savox SW-1210SG
Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster 550 12T
SSD Brass Front Portal Weights (on order)

Much more mods on the SCX24 and more mods to come for the TRX4. I would love to post some pics....maybe i'm too old lol, but I used to "tinypic" years ago. That site doesn't seem to be up anymore lol. Anything you guys recommend for hosting pics?

Hey guys, like the title says, i'm new to crawling. I have some experience with on-road and drift RC from many years ago, but i'm clueless when it comes to crawling. I recently picked up a SCX24 and started modding it immediately. I was hooked!

This led to my next purchase, the TRX4 Sport Kit. I have assembled the kit and painted the body. I'm just trying to choose electronics now. I ordered a HobbyWing 1080 ESC, as it is highly recommended on this forum. I was also going to order a Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster Sport 550 12T motor. I'm open to suggestions, but there seems to be good reviews for this motor and the TRX4 Sport. I'm not entering any comps, just looking to have some fun. So I'd like a motor that has low speed control for crawling and decent wheel speed for the trails. As for the servo, I settled on the Savox 1210.

I'd love some suggestions for a good radio and 3S battery. I've looked at the Spektrum DX5 Rugged and the FlySky GT5. The FlySky has a great price but feels a bit risky, I could be wrong. The Spektrum looks great, but has mixed reviews. I'd like something 5 channel so I can run my lights and eventually a winch. Any recommendations for a battery and radio, as well as any general crawling advice, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Here are the HH motors that Holmes recommends for the Trx4. Some good info to have.

3ad63b778d055de317cc5c12722a1bc4.jpg

For me, the stock 17/39 gearing was meh in my sport but I only slow crawl. So I geared down to 9/45 which is much better for my needs. Maybe something to keep in mind.

I’m thouroughly happy with the FS Gt5. I really like the feel in hand and the adjustability. No complaints.

Good luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I ended up going with the GT5! So far this is the setup below:

TRX4 Sport Kit
1.9 Beadlock wheels (Amazon)
FlySky GT5 Radio
Savox SW-1210SG
Holmes Hobbies CrawlMaster 550 12T
SSD Brass Front Portal Weights (on order)

Much more mods on the SCX24 and more mods to come for the TRX4. I would love to post some pics....maybe i'm too old lol, but I used to "tinypic" years ago. That site doesn't seem to be up anymore lol. Anything you guys recommend for hosting pics?

Great start! Checkout Imgur for image hosting. I created a guide here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/comments-suggestions-help/617767-imgur-embedding-posting-photos.html

Here are the HH motors that Holmes recommends for the Trx4. Some good info to have.

3ad63b778d055de317cc5c12722a1bc4.jpg

For me, the stock 17/39 gearing was meh in my sport but I only slow crawl. So I geared down to 9/45 which is much better for my needs. Maybe something to keep in mind.

I’m thouroughly happy with the FS Gt5. I really like the feel in hand and the adjustability. No complaints.

Good luck

Thanks! I actually reached out to them (Holmes Hobbies) with a bunch of questions and they got back to me right away! Seems like a nice group!

They recommended that I change the pinion to a 14t and run 3S for a good balance of low speed control and decent wheel speed. I think I'm going to run it on the stock gearing for a bit to get used to the rig, and then give the 14t a try.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to see another person enjoying the GT5! Mine should be here on Thursday along with the ESC. Servo and motor should arrive on Monday. I can't wait to get the chassis up and running!

Thanks!

For me half of the fun is fixing and upgrading. I enjoy not being able to overcome an obstacle and see if I can tweak the setup or upgrade a part then try again. Sometimes you get it right, oftentimes it’s do to driving skills as well so I’m always looking for new approach angles and throttle control. It never really ends. I find myself looking around on my way home from work and thinking “ aaww I should try that spot” lmfao

For me half of the fun is fixing and upgrading. I enjoy not being able to overcome an obstacle and see if I can tweak the setup or upgrade a part then try again. Sometimes you get it right, oftentimes it’s do to driving skills as well so I’m always looking for new approach angles and throttle control. It never really ends. I find myself looking around on my way home from work and thinking “ aaww I should try that spot” lmfao

That definitely seems to be the most fun! The problem for me is that I'm in NYC, so every time I want to crawl I have to drive up north or head to CT/NJ. Not much to crawl on around here! For every upgrade on the SCX24, I had to wait a week or more to test it out lol!

I'm thinking about getting the BowHouse battery tray. I've seen a lot of people mention it on the forum. Is this the best option out there? The price is certainly reasonable at $27.

Also, any recommendations for a 3S battery to work well with the electronics I have picked out? The last battery I bought was a Gens Ace Lipo for my drift chassis 2 years ago, highly recommended at the time. Not sure what's good these days.

Thanks!

Absolutely agree 110%. [emoji106][emoji106]

Shoot a tough line the very first attempt and then spend the next 2 battery packs trying to repeat it. [emoji23][emoji23]

The tinkering never ends.

I'm thinking about getting the BowHouse battery tray. I've seen a lot of people mention it on the forum. Is this the best option out there? The price is certainly reasonable at $27.

Also, any recommendations for a 3S battery to work well with the electronics I have picked out? The last battery I bought was a Gens Ace Lipo for my drift chassis 2 years ago, highly recommended at the time. Not sure what's good these days.

Thanks!

I have the Bowhouse battery tray. I had to mod it due to the rear upper links contacting it.

cb2add5b57b07c27c09797a6727f7cf7.jpg

I run small packs due to just slow crawling. Gens Ace adventure line 2200 mah and Helios 1500mah.

The cutout on the battery tray is enough for the links to clear but the longer 2200 pack is fully protected.

I’ve been pleased with both packs and get 1-1.5 hrs run time. Perfect for my rock walls at home.

Hey guys, I finally got around to uploading some pics! Here is my SCX24...
P.S. Thanks again Jato!!

I'll get some pics of the TRX4 later tonight!

SCX24 Mods:
Brass F&R Differential Cover
Hot Racing Aluminum Shocks
Hot Racing Aluminum Steering Linkage
Hot Racing +4mm Steel Drive Axles
Hot Racing Brass Hex Hubs
Yeah Racing Center Gearbox and Diff Skid Plates
Savox SH-0257MG
RC4WD Stamped Steel Wheels
RC4WD Patagonia Tires
Full Send Brass Wheel Weights
Custom Soft White LED Headlight and Amber Foglight

New LED's

Last edited:
Absolutely agree 110%. [emoji106][emoji106]

Shoot a tough line the very first attempt and then spend the next 2 battery packs trying to repeat it. [emoji23][emoji23]

The tinkering never ends.

I have the Bowhouse battery tray. I had to mod it due to the rear upper links contacting it.

cb2add5b57b07c27c09797a6727f7cf7.jpg

I run small packs due to just slow crawling. Gens Ace adventure line 2200 mah and Helios 1500mah.

The cutout on the battery tray is enough for the links to clear but the longer 2200 pack is fully protected.

I’ve been pleased with both packs and get 1-1.5 hrs run time. Perfect for my rock walls at home.

Thanks! I think i'll give the 1500mah pack a try! You're getting ~1 hour from the 1500mah pack?

Thanks for the info regarding the BowHouse battery tray. I thought it fit right into place without modifications. Are there any options for a low CG tray without necessary modifications?

Thanks! I actually reached out to them (Holmes Hobbies) with a bunch of questions and they got back to me right away! Seems like a nice group!

They recommended that I change the pinion to a 14t and run 3S for a good balance of low speed control and decent wheel speed. I think I'm going to run it on the stock gearing for a bit to get used to the rig, and then give the 14t a try.

Thanks for the advice. I'm glad to see another person enjoying the GT5! Mine should be here on Thursday along with the ESC. Servo and motor should arrive on Monday. I can't wait to get the chassis up and running!
I can attest to the absolute gratification i get out of owning a gT5 and 2-6ch rx! No regrets at all! I often ride my mt bike around the block and use my trx4 sport to haul either my Danchee Ridgerock crawler, my Redcat Racing Lightning EPX Pro, or my Traxxas R4stler vxl on a 1/10 flatbed double axle trailer behind my house for two reasons;
A: the asphalt is baby-bottom-smooth
And,
2:beyond that road is alllllll open dirt area/new homes construction site, ranging from hard packed gravel, to hard pack sand/soft sand/berms/dirt piles between 1'-6' tall (aka "SEND IT H.E.A.V.E.N.") as well as piles on piles of broken up concrete slabs, bricks, debris, etc.

I use my Gt5 for my TRX4, and installed my second FlySky rX into my R4stblur. So when i haul "to the back" i simply switch "model-memory" to #2, power off, power on, then R4stblur On....easy l
Peasy!

And rechargeable AA's are my go to, albeit "traxxas says do not use, blah blah" another grateful reasoning for the switch to FS!

Trx4 has running lights on ch3, ch4 usually rocks the winch, i burnt up my amazon one, and have converted an old servo into a winch, just awaiting the controller to ship! Ch5 is rock lights, ch6 is bumper & roof light bars. I recommend @heyok products when u need switches, controllers, etc.

R.C. means both;Remote control, and Rock Crawler.

Last edited:
That sounds perfect for crawling! I might get a basher myself. I've been eyeing some of the ARRMA trucks lol!

Glad to see that you like the GT5. Mine just arrived today and it looks and feels much more premium than I expected. I'll probably do something very similar to your setup. One channel for winch, another for headlights/taillights, and a third for the light bar.

Thanks! I think i'll give the 1500mah pack a try! You're getting ~1 hour from the 1500mah pack?

Thanks for the info regarding the BowHouse battery tray. I thought it fit right into place without modifications. Are there any options for a low CG tray without necessary modifications?

I am.

BUT, and a big But, all I do is slow crawl. I may drive the rig around to my rock walls but majority of the time I just carry it.

I am also geared low, 9/45, so it doesn’t go very fast.

The Bowhouse tray does drop right in with no mods.

For my needs I wanted the most articulation I could get, so I cut the tray.

In all honesty I didn’t notice it at first until I had the truck torn apart working on it.

I’d say the majority of people won’t even need to do it.

Back