• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New to crawling

Scott.Peets

Hello. New to the forum. I’ve been in and out of RC most of my life. A few short coarse races under my belt but mostly fun stuff.

I’m recently getting the itch and think crawling looks like more my speed these days. I have been trying to figure out what rig I should get. I know I’ll probably upgrade part etc. so I’m ok with buying a kit to build. Just not sure which kit to get yet.

I was looking at the Element RC enduro but after watching a review on YouTube I am thinking that’s not going to be a good move. I was looking into the Xtra speed XS02. Looks like a solid truck over the element.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.
Scott

Hello. New to the forum. I’ve been in and out of RC most of my life. A few short coarse races under my belt but mostly fun stuff.

I’m recently getting the itch and think crawling looks like more my speed these days. I have been trying to figure out what rig I should get. I know I’ll probably upgrade part etc. so I’m ok with buying a kit to build. Just not sure which kit to get yet.

I was looking at the Element RC enduro but after watching a review on YouTube I am thinking that’s not going to be a good move. I was looking into the Xtra speed XS02. Looks like a solid truck over the element.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.
Scott

Welcome! I'd pass on that Xtra Speed crawler, there are many better trucks for similar or less money. Element is a way better truck, check out all the sections here, watch some videos, what do you like best? RC4WD TF2 (requires lots of work so not really beginner truck), Traxxas TRX-4, Vaterra Ascender, also all better than XtraSpeed imo. Remember reviews can vary, watch more than one. :)

Would you mind giving some reasoning about your opinion? Between the SX02 and the Enduro.

Thanks either way. I appreciate your response

I'd take the Enduro kit over the XS02. Chinese kits always look good in pics but their QC is questionable at times and I don't know if Xtra speed ever sorted out parts like their butter ring/pinion gears they released for the SCX10.2. The Enduro kit is much cheaper and you can spend the $170 on parts needed to complete the kit anyways.

Another vote for staying away from the Xtra Speed rig here.

Offshore brands like that, the quality can be questionable, plastics tend to soft and aluminum bits tend to be soft replacement parts may be difficult to find and aftermarket support will be spotty at best. This applies doubly so for Xtra speed - they've been around for quite a while and built up a solid reputation of making lots of stuff that's ok - nothing great, but nothing too terrible.

The Element RC Enduro is actually made by Team Associated so it's backed by their massive knowledge, manufacturing and infrastructure base. If you've been in short course, you know that Associated is one of the better companies around.

You'll likely never find an LHS that carries Xtra Speed parts but it's highly likely taht many shops near you will have Element/Associated parts.

Have you examined the SCX10 II catalog? There'a a ton of different releases now and you can't wrong buying an Axial rig.

I've never heard of the XS01 but almost nobody carries it and there's very little discussion of it. Honestly, I would avoid it. I don't know if it's some sort of knockoff or what but there's not going to be any support for the thing and it might be poor quality.

You can't go wrong with the Element Enduro, everyone I've talked to has had very positive opinions about it and Team Associated is a big name that's not going anywhere.

Axial is the best bet, either the kit form or any of the RTR they have. Multitudes of aftermarket parts from as many manufactures. Endless possibilities.

Traxxas TRX would be next on the list followed by Redcat Gen8. Both of these have very solid chassis and have the portal axles. All at an affordable price point too.

High dollar of course is the Vanquish VS4-10 Pro. If you intend to modify and upgrade any of the above rigs to the fullest extent then go here right off the bat. I seen someone post that if you have $1200 you can build one heck of a rig. That's the Pro kit, add stering servo, ESC and motor, radio TX/RX and batteries and charger.

It adds up quicker than you think to spend quite a bit of money to change/modify and add on to whatever you choose to buy.

Or simply get a Ready To Run rig to start with. Go out and have fun with it and when something happens upgrade to better parts then.

Your main cost is the rig you choose then get a good charger and batteries. Do some research on the latter as safety is going to be the main concern when using LIPO power. Know how to charge them safely as well as storing them too.

Enjoy!!!

i like extrapeed in genral but they severly lack in fit and finnish they make some parts that are made of chineesium about as strong as soft butter your gona spend more replacing the chineesium parts than you would if you started with a scx10

the other side if you start with a scx10 and try to upgrade the parts to what extrapeed uses your gona spend just as much

the elemint is built buy one of the big name brand rc companys ive allways felt the team assosiated brand made great rigs that hold up very good and would not hesitate to pick up one ill bet the quality of the enduro is probably leaps and bounds above axial

axial gets it reputation from the aftermarket and the enduro can use some of the axial parts by design

honestly there all.gona do the same thing they all crawl well and the performance differance is minimal one will always pull a line that the others wont
they each have there up sides and there down sides

Thanks everyone for your input.

When I first started my research it was at axial and then I seen all the hype around the Element. I really liked it but didn’t like that they made the “upgrades” a hard plastic. But am still considering it. There is a YouTube channel AussieRC and he rips the Element up. Everyone else is polar opposite of course. So I started second guessing what I should do. He also had a video about the XS02 and I like that it’s all carbon and metal. But I guess if it’s crap metal than what’s the point.

I do agree. AE is a tried and true company and I’m sure more support will come out for the Element. Ugh so many options. I’ll probably end up with a few so who am I kidding!

Scott

There is a YouTube channel AussieRC and he rips the Element up. Everyone else is polar opposite of course.
Scott

I like nothing more than an honest debate/discussion but I found I just couldn't stand all of the opinions Aussie RC had, I just unsubbed. He's become a bit of a CrossRC fanboy which is a odd contrast to the other companies he rips on. I met a guy who butted heads with him on facebook discussions and he eventually got blocked from Aussie RC's group for disagreeing with him.

He was harping on the Enduro chassis having flex, uh give me a break look at the old king the SCX10 and 10.2 they are about as rigid as a wet noodle but does that hamper performance? I'd wager not one bit.
Sure a nice heavy feeling product gives you the warm fuzzy feeling inside but if it doesn't actually have an effect on how it performs and holds up do you have anything to complain about?

Seems like were in odd times where some very solid releases (VS-410, Enduro & Trail king) are being torn into by a few vocal minorities. Crawlers have finally started to mature and be highly refined yet the standards we hold them to are being raised at the same time. Sure anyone has the right to be critical but I think we losing sight of the big picture here, we've come a long way.

Last edited:
I like nothing more than an honest debate/discussion but I found I just couldn't stand all of the opinions Aussie RC had, I just unsubbed. He's become a bit of a CrossRC fanboy which is a odd contrast to the other companies he rips on. I met a guy who butted heads with him on facebook discussions and he eventually got blocked from Aussie RC's group for disagreeing with him.

He was harping on the Enduro chassis having flex, uh give me a break look at the old king the SCX10 and 10.2 they are about as rigid as a wet noodle but does that hamper performance? I'd wager not one bit.
Sure a nice heavy feeling product gives you the warm fuzzy feeling inside but if it doesn't actually have an effect on how it performs and holds up do you have anything to complain about?

Seems like were in odd times where some very solid releases (VS-410, Enduro & Trail king) are being torn into by a few vocal minorities. Crawlers have finally started to mature and be highly refined yet the standards we hold them to are being raised at the same time. Sure anyone has the right to be critical but I think we losing sight of the big picture here, we've come a long way.

I agree I did notice he seemed to push cross. Im not really a fan of them though. I think some points kinda made sense in my mind especially because Im knew to crawler/trail type rigs performance wise. I watch every video I can about the enduro and found that most were saying the same thing and even the very few negatives were similar. Then his contrasting view made me question it all. Looking for a positive experience with my first rig.

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

Scott

There's always one crazy guy who hates anything. As you said, just about everyone else thinks the Enduro is great.

I don't know why it would matter that they offer hard plastic upgrade parts. Every brand has upgrade parts. They might be from aftermarket companies, they might be made of metal or carbon fiber instead of "hard plastic". What's the difference?

The hard plastic parts aren't required, just an option. If I was upgrading the servo to a much stronger one I'd get the servo tray & skid package for $10 but otherwise I don't feel you need them. There are certainly guys that WILL buy them, especially if they're into the competition scene, but if you're just starting out you probably don't need to be worried about that.

I agree with others. Xtra Speed makes some “ok” parts, but for all the reasons covered above, I’d stay away from their branded rig offering. There are so many options out there right now that are awesome rigs - never a better time to be in RC Crawling. For my money, Top 3 RTR rigs, I’d go:

TRX-4 Sport
Element Enduro
SCX10ii

All 3 of these rigs are pretty good right outta the box. All 3 also enjoy tons of aftermarket support as you want to tune and improve. If you wanted to do a KIT, all 3 also come in that flavor. There are other more expensive options that are awesome as well: Vanquish, SSD.

Any way you go, welcome to the hobby - enjoy the “sickness”!:lmao:

Thanks everyone for your input.

When I first started my research it was at axial and then I seen all the hype around the Element. I really liked it but didn’t like that they made the “upgrades” a hard plastic. But am still considering it. There is a YouTube channel AussieRC and he rips the Element up. Everyone else is polar opposite of course. So I started second guessing what I should do. He also had a video about the XS02 and I like that it’s all carbon and metal. But I guess if it’s crap metal than what’s the point.

I do agree. AE is a tried and true company and I’m sure more support will come out for the Element. Ugh so many options. I’ll probably end up with a few so who am I kidding!

Scott

Welcome to the forum!

Go with a brand name crawler like Element or Traxxas. You'll be much better off.

AussieRC is a douche. I'm not sure how he even does his reviews and says some of the stuff that he does with a straight face. Like a lot of the big YouTubers, he is paid off by a brand. His brand is Arrma. He is somehow sponsored by them and you won't find him bash that brand. He drools over it. Almost everything else is junk to him. Before that I believe it was the HobbyKing stuff that he overhyped because he got it for free or something. So just ignore that channel moving forward. And keep in mind that pretty much every other big YouTube channel gives favoritism to brands from which they receive free or discounted stuff.

Welcome to the forum!

Go with a brand name crawler like Element or Traxxas. You'll be much better off.

AussieRC is a douche. I'm not sure how he even does his reviews and says some of the stuff that he does with a straight face. Like a lot of the big YouTubers, he is paid off by a brand. His brand is Arrma. He is somehow sponsored by them and you won't find him bash that brand. He drools over it. Almost everything else is junk to him. Before that I believe it was the HobbyKing stuff that he overhyped because he got it for free or something. So just ignore that channel moving forward. And keep in mind that pretty much every other big YouTube channel gives favoritism to brands from which they receive free or discounted stuff.

lol. Seen that Review. When he was in the comments recommending the Gen 8 over the Enduro I about died laughing.

Back