• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New idea for 14mm 2.2's

RCMFMaxxMan

RCC Addict
I'm not sure if anyone has thought of this yet. I came across it on accident....

The traxxas slayer has a 14mm hex with a compound size wheel. The inner bead is 3" and the outer bead is 2.2". Narrowing wheels is a common procedure in rock crawling, so why not take these wheels, cut off the 3" side, glue on a 2.2 bead from a scrap wheel that maybe you spun the hex on or just go buy some cheap $5 wheels at the lhs to hack up. The stock traxxas wheels seen here: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVUJ2&P=Z look super simple to modify. The proline beadlocks look a bit more complex but I bet someone would be able to figure out how to get a 2.2 beadlock bead on the inner side. Also if you don't want to cut and glue, and you don't mind if the inner bead is 3", just take a 2.2 tire and cut the sidewall until the opening fits into the 3" side.

again, i'm not sure if this has been thought of yet, but a search for "slayer" came up with nothing, so i thought i'd share :)

Last edited:
Now THAT is what I call lateral thinking.:idea: Good thinking MaxxMan! Very creative. I've got the Rock Force adaptors coming. Should be here any day. Will let you know how they go.

Cheerz!

R:shock:tz

yeah I was reading your posts about the rf hexes and your moulded hexes. I'm interested to hear how each work out. the thundertech hexes look pretty nice too. I'd just be a bit shy about using them in a plastic 2.2 wheel

NICE! Thats be much better than being stuck with 12mm hexes,and plastic ones at that. The bigger the hex,the stronger it will be...period. I reckon some little plastic hexes are magical.:roll: I wonder what the hex area looks like on those wheels? Should have a decent wall around the hex considering what the wheels are for. Should be a pretty good,sturdy wheel if built right."thumbsup"

Did some searching and found this picture on ebay. The hex looks decent. Looking at the wheel from behind and seeing how soon the wheel "steps up" to 3 inches, I think you may want to glue more than just the 2.2 bead onto the slayer wheel. BUT gluing a portion of the 2.2 wheel center would be better because then you could give it some pretty nice reinforcement by mating the slayer wheel center to the 2.2 wheel center using either fiberglass cloth and resin or perhaps a pvc pipe of choice diameter. ...if i'm making any sense. Let's take a consensus; what do you guys think would be the best route to take? making the slayer wheel to be 2.2 on both sides or cutting out one side of a 2.2 tire to fit on the 3" side of the wheel?
img_8169.jpg

Also looking at the proline beadlocks, it looks like you could probably cut off the face of the slayer beadlock and the face of a slash beadlock and glue the slayer face to the slash wheel. But I mean by that point, you will have spent enough time and money to have just purchased some custom 14mm 2.2 beadlocks (and probably stronger, better quality and looks) from one of the vendors :lol: But I thought I'd just throw this tid bit out in case anyone is interested.
614_4_.jpg
642_4_.jpg

Last edited:
Stock,I wouldn't think they'd be comp legal since they are not completely 2.2 wheels. Some may allow them,I wouldn't though.

It would require a lathe,but I think the best way to build them would be to make a sleeve out of PVC that would fit snug.

Stock,I wouldn't think they'd be comp legal since they are not completely 2.2 wheels. Some may allow them,I wouldn't though.

It would require a lathe,but I think the best way to build them would be to make a sleeve out of PVC that would fit snug.

this is what i was thinking as well. If someone was making a 2.2 basher or rock racer though, they could get away with having a 3" side if they didn't mind the look. I too think the pvc would be the way to go. What are you saying the lathe would be required for? To get the inner diameter of the pipe correct? Because I've always been able to narrow wheels with just a hacksaw.

Back