• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Need help selecting SWB chassis for Tamiya body

pmitch

Hi All,

I have ordered a Tamiya Amarok CC-01 body to build my own scale 4WD. I have been looking at Axial SCX10 based builders kits and components, mainly because of the selection of after market accessories one eBay and alike.

The Tamiya CC-01 kit for this body is 268mm. So I need something I can setup with a wheelbase around 268 - 275mm.

I have found the KYX short wheelbase chassis rails on eBay & Aliexpress which are designed for a 270mm wheelbase. Has anyone used these rails, or are there any better suggestions for a chassis that can support this setup?

Additionally I'm looking at the Element IFS kit and RC4wd leaf rear springs. I'm trying to keep the Amarok build as a near identical setup to the original vehicle.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. I am a Noob to RC Crawlers.

Did you ever find your solution? I have a similar need. 94 Toyota 1:1. I just got the body (drifter body, but its the right size) but now need an IFS front and leaf rear chassis.

I could do RC4wd, but my Element IFS kit fits the SCX10 frame. But finding a SWB SCX 10 chassis is hard these days.

Resurect the forum post!"thumbsup"

The cc01 would be a great choice already has the ifs just add leaf springs on the rear and call it a day

There are some amazing cc01 builds some look pretty scale

There's also the cr12 from team associated it's about that size but solid axles front and rear and I don't think the ifs kit will fit

Also rigs like the yeti Jr and 1/16-1/18 scale short course trucks might fit that size body you can always adjust the link length to fit the wheel base if the width is right

Did you ever find your solution? I have a similar need. 94 Toyota 1:1. I just got the body (drifter body, but its the right size) but now need an IFS front and leaf rear chassis.

I could do RC4wd, but my Element IFS kit fits the SCX10 frame. But finding a SWB SCX 10 chassis is hard these days.

Resurect the forum post!"thumbsup"

As far as I know, the Element IFS kit is substantially wider than the CC01 that Ferp suggested, and will probably be impossible to get right unless you're ok with your wheels sticking out a mile past the body.

Agree with Ferp - the CC01 chassis is your best starting spot for IFS. They are quite a bit narrower and fit Tamiya bodies perfectly of course. They'll go down a trail just fine with a little bit of mod work.

An MST CMX/CFX would also be an excellent start. They are also designed for Tamiya bodies.

Using an Element IFS chassis will push the tires way out past the fenders. If you're ok with that, an IFS Enduro with some super short links might work out. Ruins the scale look though.

A KYX short WB chassis would certainly work, I guess that's all that's left. Boom, RC4WD, and STRC all made short chassis for adapting Axial components to Tamiya bodies, but I think they are pretty much unicorns at this point. Adopting the IFS and leafs would be a challenge. If going that route, I'd live with the solid axles. Maybe track down something narrow - MST CFX/CMX axles are perfect size, and Boom makes some narrow ones if you want to spend the coin.

Personally, I'd go the CC01 route for the scale look, or CMX route for more performance. Either will work fine.

Back