• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

my super crawler build thread

Mr.RC4x4

After my first competition (which i took last at) I've decided to build an amazing rig i will call my super crawler. I'm going to build a frame out of steal rods and fabricate almost all the suspension parts. I will also try to use an AX-10 scorpion as a parts car to help me build my super crawler. Any ideas will be considered/appreciated and or put to use. When its all done, ill try to upgrade my axles to MOA (Motor On Axle for those like me who just learned what that means) and custom fabricate wheels from lead for the lowest center of gravity possible. Thanks for viewing, Zach.

First Build Cycle 9/28/10

I still go to school so i cant work on this every day. It took me about 3 hours to bend up some steal rod i got at lowes and weld it together to get this.
61360_1290132431720_1782535216_568416_8081706_n.jpg
Its not finished but its a start.​

custom fabricate wheels from lead for the lowest center of gravity possible
I think you should use another matereal for your wheels instead of lead. Lead is very soft and would not only make a crappy wheel but lead has health hazards to. The only lead we use are the stick on lead weights to weight down our front wheels

When you say "super" crawler, you mean a "super" 2.2 crawler. remember that a Super is a class of crawlers too.

Since you mentioned that you will be using an ax10 for a parts lot, i would read and search through the Axial AX10 Thread. Lots of good info, that will answer nearly all of your questions.
Welcome and good luck"thumbsup"

Cool

Thanks man. I had forgot about the heath thing with lead and i knew it was to soft to make wheels out of. I was hopping to find a material that i could melt down and cast ,my dad has plenty of casting experience i think. I also was hoping this would be a heavy material. Im pretty familiar with an axial so i got that covered. Thanks again, Zach.

Second Build Cycle

After about another two hours i have this. I put in a ton of supports and the front piece i will mount the shocks to. There is an "x" shape on the bottom of the design that i kinda screwed up on welding. I think i will cut this out and put a new, simpler "x" in.
63359_1291078375368_1782535216_570254_4029854_n.jpg

3rd Build Cycle 9/30/10

Got some more rod and put in a few more supports. Fixed the "X" on the bottom and added a skid plate. Im thinking of using Proline Super 2.2 tires/wheels and axial axles. I will fabricate linkages and use stock axial transmission, dig unit and shocks. Soft springs a low COG and ill be on the rocks before thanksgiving.
62818_1291910316166_1782535216_571213_7000778_n.jpg
And i painted it so it wouldnt rust.

where will you be mounting your shocks? maybe i'm blind but I don't see any shock mounts

Pro-Line Super 2.2 Wheels/Tires???? What is that?

Why didn't' you, at least, grind your welds down and weld in your link and shock mounts before painting it?

Im going to have to put it up for a while while i wait for parts to come in and i didnt want it to rust. These rods rust in like half an hour. It would be really hard to sand the inner rods off i fit rusted so i painted it. I can just take a wire wheel to the spots where im going to weld my shock and linkage mounts. I would have ground the welds down before paint but i got to busy. When i start back on it I will have a nice even colored frame to work with. Im going to have to grind some of theses stinking ugly welds for sure.

i kinda get the feeling that newbies post here "without fear of being flamed" has been lost. Oh, and here is a picture of Proline 2.2 Tires/Wheels
1166.jpg

Fourth Build Cycle 10/3/10

After about four hours, i have mounted the front and rear axles, the motor and trani and the shocks. It doesnt drive yet because i have made my lower links to long :mad:. I hope to get this solved tomorrow and be on the rocks by this weekend. I need some softer springs but i cant afford them until all the crap I have on eBay sells.
64386_1294692465718_1782535216_576354_6596110_n.jpg
64386_1294692625722_1782535216_576355_3142421_n.jpg

Looking good. Dont feel too bad about getting last....everyone starts out that way. Just continue to practice and you'll improve.

10/6/10

Im making adapters to go to these wheels i have to save some money. I dont like them though, they will just be a little taller than my axial ones. i have the drive shafts hooked up and am getting ready to test it out.
39515_1295518726374_1782535216_577577_4750944_n.jpg

fabricated the rear adapters, it needs some work, but its comming along. I am going to order the aluminum Y-links so that they wont break come competition.
58158_1297359692397_1782535216_580264_7792243_n.jpg
This isnt at full flex, once i get the upper suspension links in it will clear the searing servo and i think i can get the full 170degree articulation.

It turned out pretty good! I think you got plenty of flex honestly, maybe a little too much. You might find your tires getting stuck in holes honestly with that much flex.

I can't find it mentioned anywhere.. are you building this out of a old 'Maxx truck as well? The tires, the Traxxas chevrons, the E-maxx titan 550 and gearbox.. this is all looking very familiar!

The Hammers that you originally had on it are a far better comp tire (even though they haven't been competitive in about 2 years) than those monster turck tires.

Also, that's way too much flex...especially with a shafty. You will far too easily drive that into binds and you'll be breaking things right and left.

Keep at it. As somebody who used to build all of my own tube chassis, I enjoy seeing tubers. "thumbsup"

Thanks to all you guys for you positive feedback. When I added the Y links and the springs my flex went down a ton. I have since purchased a saddle pack battery and some of these tires. Ive been crawling arround on T-maxx tires for a while and they dont get the job done. My rig is not based off a maxx but the tires are from one. I will put pictures up as soon as my wheels get in. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...156965&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_500wt_1158

Back