• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My first RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Andy22

Rock Stacker
Hi guys! I consider myself an RC newbie. Got my feet wet with Axial's scx10, which I loved but I wanted a more scale look. I was torn between the bruiser and trailfinder 2. One day while looking around Pegasus hobbies in Montclair, CA, I stumbled on a TF2 kit without the body. The rest is history...

This wont be on chronological order since I did not take pics of the early stages of the build.

Here are a couple vids:
The first run at home with my son's maisto rock crawler making a cameo at the end
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/VFhXoQp8Rm4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the backyard with a pile of seiryu stones
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5TblkpKjrJk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

First run at the park
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/FmClSCewXNs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another go at the park with my son driving the scx10
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HYrBgQvAuFg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Way to get your little guy involved. Looks like you guys are having a blast. Keep it going... "thumbsup"

It's one reason I got into rc to be able to bond with my kid. I was addicted to pc gaming for awhile and that didn't help our bonding at all.

Congrats on the tf2, I started out with the scx10 and now Im hooked on the scale trucks. Got myself a tf2 then a galande and waiting for the lc70. Love this hobby and I think its awesome to see folks getting their kids involved.

Coming from a scx10 like I have, how does the leaf sprung suspension crawl
Two different animals, the tf2 takes a little more skill and picking your lines is crucial but with the right mods you can get these trucks to crawl some serious terrain.

Coming from a scx10 like I have, how does the leaf sprung suspension crawl

I agree with what golfmech said. On some parts of my last video you can see how the scx10 makes it a bit easier to go through obstacles. The tf2 needs to be broken in and some mods i would say are a must to put it almost at the same page of the scx10.

Good videos Andy. Rc is time well spent with the little guy. I see an awesome RC video edit from you in the near future. That tf2 looks like it has incredible smooth low speed control. Nice scx too!

Here is my attempt at the motor drop mod:

Cut one of the cross braces to give room for the motor to drop

Had to shave the other cross brace because the axial motor is quite long. There are other ways to do it but this was the most convenient way to do it IMO at that time

Cut one post of the motormount to be able to clock it.

Last edited:
Started working on a camper shell. No idea if I could pull this off so we'll see how it progresses.

Please excuse my PVC stand [emoji23]

Last edited:
Nice looking TF2. Can I ask what tires and wheels you have? The size looks good on that truck

Currently using 1.9 tires and wheels.
Incision wheels paired with axial maxxis trepadors. Be forewarned that you will experience some body rub during tight turns and while turning and going through obstacles. Some tuning required to make it work. I still experience some of it but it doesn't bother me much.

are those 1.9 treps on there and is there any rubbing issues with the fenders...reason why i ask i really thinking about the TF2 and want to upgrade the wheels an tires.....
But now I'm taking a better look at Gelande II thinking more parts on the body and comes with complete interior I'm not sure which one to get now...."thumbsup"

Not hitting while cycling? I'm doing this. "thumbsup"

On a flat surface there is no rubbing at all. When going up obstacles there is slight rubbing. On increased flexing rubbing increases but not much to bother me. I do have some mods. Front shocks are either 80-90mm. I also have the mojave body lift kit. For the leaf springs I have the main one and the long helper only. I will be sharing a video to show some going over minor obstacles.

are those 1.9 treps on there and is there any rubbing issues with the fenders...reason why i ask i really thinking about the TF2 and want to upgrade the wheels an tires.....
But now I'm taking a better look at Gelande II thinking more parts on the body and comes with complete interior I'm not sure which one to get now...."thumbsup"

Yes they are treps. Slight rubbing issues so far. Nothing big yet.

Here's a little indoor run. Not a lot of rubbing here.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9q7OJ7FrsGo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Back