• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My beef with RTR

neillarson

RCC Addict
I took a 12 year break from RCs and just started back about a year ago. I am going to retire in about 9 months and have been stocking up on kits to last me a couple years. 2 Axial JLU kits, 2 Axial builder kits, 4 RC4WD Gelande 2 kits, 3 RC4WD TF2 kits, 2 Vanquish Phoenix kits and a butt load of tires, wheels, servos, motors, escs and accessories. BUT, I have been astounded at the flooding of the market by RTRs. I have bought 4 as those specific were impossible to find in kits. I do understand that the RTRs open the hobby to a lot more people but damn, at least sell ARTRs. I have my own 4 radios that I run, Futaba and Flysky but it really irritating that I also have 4 worthless low end POS radios because of the RTRs. If you could get RTRs without radios or without radios and escs and motors, I would buy more.

Jmho

I agree. It does get more into the hobby but gotta think about the rest of us that want to build our own versions

With RTR's I usually gut them, and run my own gear that I have.

Usually sell off the systems super cheap (so I can buy more receivers for my radio), or better yet, Donate to people that need them (Local hobby shop for their rentals, or people who have a busted RC and low on funds to repair).

Its just an unfortunate fact that the vast majority of RC sales are in RTRs. Kit buyers like us are the minority.

Sometimes I just bite the bullet and get an RTR anyway, a kit doesn't always come later especially with a licensed body (meaning it wont be around as long as other models).

I also stocked up on hardbodies. RC4WDs, Boomracing, Injora, eBay, Killer body, etc. a few will be “plug and play” but most will n reds lots of modding, especially my Unimogs. I also picked up SCX10 based parts for a couple Franken trucks.

I actually did t think about donating the RTR electronics but I will do that now. Thanks for the suggestion.

I found it's cheaper to build from scratch why pay for plastic axles and transmissions that need upgrades almost immediately cheasy tires cheap wheels and cheap electronics and some packaging only to buy new axles new tires new metal rims aluminum transmissions with metal gears already in them a nice servo decent motor and esc and a body you actually want unless you want the stock body
plus you can mix and match brands and get the best you can afford and still save money

I have always preferred kits and usually bought them when it was an option for whatever platform I was buying into. I think the last RTR I bought (excluding 1/24) was a Marlin when they first came out. That was ~2018?

I don't recall the last time I bought a kit, as even those dont come with the stuff that I want/need most of the time. I kitbash and build random stuff, where I buy the specific part i usually need, sometimes an entire rig is made of individually bought parts/manufacturers.

The great days of the ebay chop shops are over and rigs are no longer being completely parted out. Some still do, but now its mostly rollers, sliders, and beat to snot "needs a lil TLC" used in great shape.

The RTR rigs I have that came with a radio are a 1/6 fms jimny and a jeep willys and i kept those stock radios for when (If ever in my life) ill get my family to go with me and play with these toy trucks. Wishful thinking right?

I found it's cheaper to build from scratch why pay for plastic axles and transmissions that need upgrades almost immediately cheasy tires cheap wheels and cheap electronics and some packaging only to buy new axles new tires new metal rims aluminum transmissions with metal gears already in them a nice servo decent motor and esc and a body you actually want unless you want the stock body
plus you can mix and match brands and get the best you can afford and still save money
Couldn't say it better.

However, sometimes RTR is the only option, and I take that into account. My 1/12 Fms jimny for example. Burned up the stock esc/receiver combo. had to replace with the same electronics for all the features to work again. Nothing else would have worked.

Sometimes though hanging on to old RTR crap pays off.

Look at all those folks searching for the Og Scx10 Honcho front bumper/plates.

Attachments

• 17164862530623428434690061671004.jpg
    17164862530623428434690061671004.jpg
    961.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Couldn't say it better.

However, sometimes RTR is the only option, and I take that into account. My 1/12 Fms jimny for example. Burned up the stock esc/receiver combo. had to replace with the same electronics for all the features to work again. Nothing else would have worked.

Sometimes though hanging on to old RTR crap pays off.

Look at all those folks searching for the Og Scx10 Honcho front bumper/plates.
I have a few rtrs the fms Jimny and my redcat gen8 was rtr but it was a first run and has since been upgraded
but my second fms/gen8 is a fms body and redcat frame and trans/tcase and trx4 axles
I have a few other rtrs to but can't remember them all at the moment lol
there good for instant gratification or like you sead when they don't offer kits and there not on the used market yet

You have spent a lot of money on all the vehicles,

might I suggest that the radios ARE useful when you bring another individual or more on an outing. I have “Mine” with my radio(s) but other vehicles that are loners so others can use and not drop a good Tx.

Motors and escs are where my funding usually ends up first. Maybe check out some rollers off fleabay or a marketplace and then customize the chassis

I like most of the builders prefer kits. Over the years I have picked up some RTR's and torn out the stock electrics. I always liked how if you were patient, you knew Axial would release the kit with upgrades AND it would be cheaper...win,win. Ahhhh, the good old days... :D. Now VP is going to the prime time and we have to whine and cry because the new toys cost a bundle and are packed with piss-poor power plants.

All said, i would be lying if i didn't admit that I am quite enamored by the new OPtic. Who knows, I just might just smash my piggy bank and over pay for that pretty one with grey cage...it just looks sooo good

I like most of the builders prefer kits. Over the years I have picked up some RTR's and torn out the stock electrics. I always liked how if you were patient, you knew Axial would release the kit with upgrades AND it would be cheaper...win,win. Ahhhh, the good old days... :D. Now VP is going to the prime time and we have to whine and cry because the new toys cost a bundle and are packed with piss-poor power plants.

All said, i would be lying if i didn't admit that I am quite enamored by the new OPtic. Who knows, I just might just smash my piggy bank and over pay for that pretty one with grey cage...it just looks sooo good
It's definitely a situation of you have to take the good with the bad. I think most of us RC nerds on this forum prefer kits, but unfortunately, we are not the majority. More ARR less electronics would be great, but I don't think those would sell much better than kits. Choosing electronics and gearing can be difficult for newbies.

It's definitely a situation of you have to take the good with the bad. I think most of us RC nerds on this forum prefer kits, but unfortunately, we are not the majority. More ARR less electronics would be great, but I don't think those would sell much better than kits. Choosing electronics and gearing can be difficult for newbies.
It's an interesting thought. On the one hand you have the hobbyist builder who spends more money and time in this stuff than they would ever tell their wives and friends. On the other you have the passing hobbyist who just wants to get out and play asap. Typically they do so without much concern toward the finer details in performance.
My thinking is that long term it's going to be the builder that keeps the hobby going. Short term, the passing interest hobbyist is what makes the manufacturers wealthy. There is no doubt a mutually beneficial relationship here. The industry requires both types of consumers. I suspect though that most focus is towards the the more impulsive, passing hobbyist. Kits sell, they just don't sell in the same volume as rtr products. There is more money in this hobby than ever before as evidenced by just the volumes of product now available.
Selling rollers is an interesting idea. It's essentially a compromise.

As a recent newbie to the hobby, an rtr was a no-brainer. One to see if this hobby was for me and second ... had to play straight away (y) Wouldn't rule out another rtr though after seeing the new Vanquish but can see a builder project down the road also. No regrets starting with an rtr.

Back