• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor & ESC for Rock Racer

slothRC

Rock Stacker
Hi all. I noticed AMain is running some deals on things, among other sites and local shops running deals this time of year. I have a Losi 1/10 Rock Rey RTR and have been having so much fun with it. One thing that’s been driving me a bit bananas is really terrible cogging with the RTR electronics if I even attempt to crawl or do anything steep/technical at low speed.

I have a trx4 for dedicated crawling, so I want to keep the Rock Rey at least as fast as stock, if not a little faster. Stock electronics are:
- DYNAMITE[emoji2400] FUZE[emoji769] 2800KV BRUSHLESS MOTOR
- DYNAMITE 3S-CAPABLE 130A WATERPROOF ESC

Would love to get something I can run on 4s. I’m pretty inexperienced with electronics questions... Am I looking for something that’s sort of “too good to be true”, or is there an esc / motor combo out there between $100-$200 that has decent low end torque without cogging, but is still very fast?

Thanks everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a castle sw4 with a castle 3800kv 5mm shaft and it has low speed crawl with very minimal cogging , it acuallly works pretty good

I gotta go with duroks suggestion. I run that combo on 4s hv. Honestly think it's castles best crawling motor, and tons of parts breaking torque and speed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I gotta go with duroks suggestion. I run that combo on 4s hv. Honestly think it's castles best crawling motor, and tons of parts breaking torque and speed.

Where am I at in this conversation???

:lmao:

(not that I think there's anything wrong with Castle motors, but thus far I have only got a bunch of Holmes motors myself - Revolvers, Puller Pros, and Trailmaster/Crawlmaster brushed 550 cans...)

Where am I at in this conversation???

:lmao:

(not that I think there's anything wrong with Castle motors, but thus far I have only got a bunch of Holmes motors myself - Revolvers, Puller Pros, and Trailmaster/Crawlmaster brushed 550 cans...)
Whoopsie, I meant dred....

This is what I put in my rock rey. No more cogging. It would definitely be a wild combo on 4s.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cse010-0160-01.htm

Some people put the larger mamba esc in the rock rey, but I think the mamba x is sufficient.

This is what I put in my rock rey. No more cogging. It would definitely be a wild combo on 4s.

https://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/cse010-0160-01.htm

Some people put the larger mamba esc in the rock rey, but I think the mamba x is sufficient.

Thanks for this recommendation! I see that this one is a 2400kv motor vs the 2800kv that comes stock in the Rock Rey. I know very little about brushless motors, is that a major speed decrease from what I have stock, or is it negligible? I see there is also a similar combo with 3800kv motor… pros/cons of going with the faster motor?

Thanks for this recommendation! I see that this one is a 2400kv motor vs the 2800kv that comes stock in the Rock Rey. I know very little about brushless motors, is that a major speed decrease from what I have stock, or is it negligible?

It's a ~15% slower motor, but if you switch from 3s to 4s you'll increase the top speed by ~28.5%. You'll end up with a higher top speed and much better crawling ability. "thumbsup"

I wouldn't recommend a higher kv motor than 2400 if you're gonna run 4s. I was completely happy with it on 3s.

Last edited:
It's a ~15% slower motor, but if you switch from 3s to 4s you'll increase the top speed by ~28.5%. You'll end up with a higher top speed and much better crawling ability. "thumbsup"

I wouldn't recommend a higher kv motor than 2400 if you're gonna run 4s. I was completely happy with it on 3s.

Awesome. Very well explained. I really appreciate it!

Awesome. Very well explained. I really appreciate it!

You're welcome!

Also, if you keep it at 3s and end up wanting more top speed, there's plenty of motor there to go with a larger motor pinion.

Back