• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Mini MAZ! - 1:43 scale (~9 inch long) MAZ 537 8x8 scratch build

Reviving this old thread because I took another swing at making this project.
So, here is Micro Maz 537 Part2:
When I left this project a few years ago, I was not really happy with it. I wanted to work on the Steering, Suspension, Drivetrain,... well it seems like everything except the body. A huge benefit for Part2 was that I now have my own 3D printer, so I am free to build anything
Drivetrain:
I wanted to make the drivetrain operate more smoothly, so I made new diff cases (the originals were chopped up from the Atomic kit), and also made it so the cases inter-lock with the final drives so that the pinion and ring gear position could be better controlled. This did make the diffs/final operate more smoothly, but I found the real problem for the drivetrain smoothness was actually a sliver of epoxy on one of the gears in the transfer case. With all of that fixed, it operates much better than before.

8eXwQHll.jpg

00NZTkxl.jpg

fqzaByWl.jpg

HhNyXL3l.jpg

I also went from an N20 to an N30 motor and switched from 1S to 2S lipo, which made a huge difference in how it drives.

Suspension:
I left the front suspension the same but re-made the tiny little torsion bars. I ditched the walking beam and went with a less scale but more functional leaf spring kinda thing. There was lots of experimentation with 3D printed leaf springs (curve, thickness, position) but I eventually just said good enough. It at least allows a little compliance in the rear axles. The rear axle arms and hubs were 3D printed in order to eliminate their steering capability (the orignals were from the Atomic kit and were locked out with a rigid link to the chassis).
I also 3D printed the chassis sides and floor which gave me some more freedom (Mirco Maz Part1 was soldered brass).

ZlK3lbWl.jpg

RFT566Ul.jpg

CkhBojZl.jpg

PFrC1Dyl.jpg

Steering:
Micro Maz Part1 used a single front-mounted servo with a flexible pushrod to the second axle. It was fiddly and difficult to assemble. For Part2, I used seperate, smaller servos for the front and second axles. It was a tight fit at each location but they fit and work so much better.

HQ2sZ5zl.jpg

I didn't have to touch any of the body parts (cab, cargo box), so the final Part2 truck works much better than before but looks the same as it did for Part1. Here is another couple pics of the chassis before paint, with the electronics mocked up for a function check. I wasn't patient enough to hook up the 2nd axle steering for these pics.

MnVCJJYl.jpg

4UCdXerl.jpg

Still working on a video. Hope to figure that out soon.
jt18Np4l.jpg

qnHMDazl.jpg

The effort and detail you put in man is beyond comprehension!!!! Super cool rig.... so much effort for such a tiny package as a result I think makes dedicating to it all that much harder.

Back