• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

METALHEAD Modified TJ Trail Rig

METALHEAD

Quarry Creeper
I’ve had this Jeep body hanging around for quite awhile. When I first re-rigged a TLT and started building crawlers 4-5 years ago, this was the first rig I built. And DAMN was it ugly. :shock:

Start with an UGLY 2.2, circa 2006

396477601.jpg

UPDATED JUNE 10TH, 2011:

397189485.jpg

I started working on this project with only one directive, keeping it simple. I put it back on the shelf after getting the frame and suspension built and mostly dialed in. That was about a year ago. I didn’t document any of the build up until that point, but this is about what I started with when I resumed the Jeep TJ project this month, now rolling on 1.9’s.

396477603.jpg

I tore the shit out of the wheel wells when I removed the “fender flares” that I super-glued to them, as you can see. That needed to be addressed, obviously, but I also needed a new roll cage so I could ditch the big ugly plastic one that graced it before.

This is what I came up with, to start with.

396477608.jpg

The roll cage is aluminum, as are the mounts for the fender flares. I say mounts because this is what the rest of the flares will mount to. I used some badass epoxy to attach the aluminum base to the body, and subsequently attach the rest of the flares to that aluminum mounting surface.

396477609.jpg

After a little bodywork, I was happy with the result. These clearly need to be touched up and worked over a little bit before paint, but for the time being, I’m diggin' it.

396477611.jpg

396477600.jpg

If you’re paying attention, you might notice that I did some more cutting on the body by trimming the doors down. I’m glad I did that too. I debated, but I think this gives it an entirely different feel. Also, I built a tube bumper for the rear and a little stinger up front. There may or may not be more added to each, but it’s a start.

Last edited:
Thanks ctrwannabe, I appreciate that.

I have some more body work up my sleeve, but for now I just have some more pictures. Here is the front end. I'm using a Tower Pro servo for steering. I've heard good and bad about them, but I've run 3 of them now and I haven't had any problems with them. The price is sure right. ;-) The lower links are pretty much standard issue, but I had to get inventive with the upper links. You can see what I came up with. So far so good.

396490158.jpg

396490156.jpg

Here is the rear end.

Body off:

396490160.jpg

Body on:

396490161.jpg

Here is another shot of the rear end suspension. I had to fab up some parts for both the front and rear TLT axles to make the linkages work. It flexes nice and smoothly, and with the threaded shocks it's easy to tune the suspension.

396490159.jpg

I really wanted to focus on the fit and finish of this rig, so I spend quite a bit of extra time doing little things to make it stand out from my other projects. One thing I did was inset the lower linkage brackets just slightly into the frame so they're more flush with the frame.

396490163.jpg

The skid plate under the R2 Trans is styrene. We'll see how it holds up, but I think it'll be fine. I figured I'd give this a try since I didn't have the right aluminum on hand and wanted to protect the transmission.

396490166.jpg

Another focus on this rig was major clearance under the belly. The wheelbase is so short that the driveline angles got a little crazy, but they work fine. 3.25 inches of clearance is pretty good considering what I had to work with.

396490167.jpg

The Clocked Axle C's helped out a lot with the drivelines angles. They bought me enough room to get the front driveline to work without any binding, even with the driveline angles I have. Steering throw is still on point and bump steer is very minimal.

396490168.jpg

And oh yeah, rear tube bumper.

396490170.jpg

I might do more with the bumpers, but for now I'm rollin with what I have.

Thanks SDB, I love the Trailbusters, especially on this rig. The body is an old New Bright. I don't think they make this particular body anymore, but you can score them on ebay pretty easily. I think the new...uh....New Bright... Wrangler body is damn near the same as this one though, except for the color and the stickers and shit. This one is right about 1:10 scale.

Man thats sic...love your flairs.. when you had it here the other weekend I should of went and got mine and compaired...didn't even think about it. This is the new body your talking about. Got it for the wifes build for 20 bucks..brand new at Kmart.

body1.jpg

Thanks guys.

Squatch, I got no excuse. :flipoff: You have to admit that the old 2.2 is more scale than a HPI Savage, which is what I was rockin back in those days. Did you notice the jug of 20% Nitro in the background? "thumbsup"

Yup, your Jeep body looks like this one used to. Build that shit dude! 8)

Give this a spin, more progress:

I cut the inner fender wells out of a cottage cheese container. The ESC/RX housing is all made out of styrene and it isn't done yet. I have a couple more additions to it before I call it good, but it's a good start.

396689317.jpg

396689320.jpg

I've been reading some bad stories about the Castle Sidewinder V2, so I had to give mine a test run. I ran it solid for about 20 minutes on 3S. I did some rock crawling, some full throttle runs through tall grass, a little dirt and some jackrabbit starts on the patio. I basically just gave it a good dose of what it's going to see out on the trails. I guess time will tell. I'm optimistic though, as I didn't have any throttle fade or heat issues with the V2. Potential problems aside, plugged in with the Castle Link, the Sidewinder V2 is dope on a rope.

But, back in the basement....

Some more body work:

I finally cleaned up the rear shocks and boxed them in with some styrene. I also got a start on the battery storage box and lined out the floor plan.

396689321.jpg

I'm going for a cleaner, simpler look out back. Aside from cutting the endgate down and grinding off the hinges and the handle, I also filled all the seams and body lines.

396689324.jpg

Here's the rollcage, prepped and ready for paint.

396689322.jpg

The next step is to finish up the body work. There isn't much to do, but I'm pretty close to painting, which is good. This project got a little more involved than I initially anticipated, but that's okay. I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. Thanks for checking back! :) Until next time....

Last edited:
sic man....sic......

glad your sportin a castle......big78 and I will be doin a little building tomorrow...late notice, but your up anyway around 2AM

PS, do I see a place fro a lipo in there?!?!? and a 3S was mentioned????????

yeah, I saw your jug in the back....glad your over that addiction.

Man thats sic...love your flairs.. when you had it here the other weekend I should of went and got mine and compaired...didn't even think about it. This is the new body your talking about. Got it for the wifes build for 20 bucks..brand new at Kmart.

body1.jpg

Sorry for the highjack guys.....just thought it was funny,in that i have a new bright TJ that is different to both of yors:ror:

Mine come with cut down doors,nonhinged windscreen and no taligate...like Metalhead wants,and you have the tailgate features i want:ror:

The difference betwen the first 2 pics is shocking,the 2nd pic is way cool"thumbsup"......Nice build

nice body work..."thumbsup"

Thanks hung0417! Apparently I take to body work like a duck to water and blow through it like shit through a goose. Seems like every project I do ends up with body filler in it. :ror:

sic man....sic......

glad your sportin a castle......big78 and I will be doin a little building tomorrow...late notice, but your up anyway around 2AM

PS, do I see a place fro a lipo in there?!?!? and a 3S was mentioned????????

yeah, I saw your jug in the back....glad your over that addiction.

Thanks man, the Castle is pretty tight, especially when it's crankin on 3S. "thumbsup" Dude, I'm not over the nitro addiction...it was a gateway drug. :flipoff: I still tap that shit once in awhile.

So I finally got around to updating this thread, as if anyone gives a flock...of seaguls...:roll:

So I tore it down:

397177034.jpg

Painted the frame and shit:

397177036.jpg

397177038.jpg

397177041.jpg

Then painted the rest of it:

397177045.jpg

397177054.jpg

397177053.jpg

397177056.jpg

I built an interior around what was left of the original parts:

397177042.jpg

397177046.jpg

397177047.jpg

Articulation isn't the best in the world, but I don't give a shit. It gets around pretty good with the underbody clearance and short wheelbase.

397177051.jpg

397177048.jpg

397177030.jpg

There's still some horseshit to sort out. Namely lights, but we'll see what else I come up with.

Here's the battery storage. I'm running 1350 mah on 3S, so this little prick scoots.

397177044.jpg

397177043.jpg

man...I need your time....yo built two rigs and I'm still on F250.

that looks really cool, Run next weekend?!?!!?!? will get the crew together.

Nice build dude. Neat little storage compartment for the battery. "thumbsup"Put a fuel tank cap on it, and it’s a fuel tank....literally :ror:

T

Back