• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

MaxStone 1/8th build

Triple88a

I was planning on going with 1/10th scale however I decided to go with 1/8th scale as a base and make it to 1/10th.

Anyhow I started off with 1/8th because of the bigger axles, tires, double on axle motors, long control arms and overall heavier duty yet simple chassis. In my opinion it's a great platform to start as theres lots of stuff you can do with it. There's tons of adjustment. To make it to 1/10th scale I decided to leave the control arms how they are and moved the location of the mounts to the center.

First I flipped and moved the mount for the batteries to the middle of the chassis and put the electronics neatly on top and tied up the wires to the upper control arms. The control arm mounts were originally on the outside far out. I moved them to the inside and the center and flipped them. I had to drill for the lower mounts but the top mounts had enough holes up there for adjustment. Moving the mounts to the inside helps with one less thing to get caught up on a rock and of course shortened the wheel base by about 3" which leaves me about 1" longer than the stock stats for the 1/10th scale maxstone model.

DSCF0005_zpsd644b1f0.jpg

DSCF0004_zpsa95f7e86.jpg

For the build i'm using a 1/10th jeep wrangler body that i had on my old 3.3 T-Max
6514002.jpg

Obviously this is now a crawler so the fenders had to go.
Off came the fenders. At max flex you can see the tires are forward about an inch however no rubbing. It's normal for competition jeeps to have the tires about that much forward so that's right in 1/10th spec now.

DSCF0009_zpsecb9d2cc.jpg

DSCF0007_zps96cbef64.jpg

DSCF0006_zps86306471.jpg

I wanted to lower the body more however that's as low as it can go. Actually now that i think about it i can flip the mounts from the chassis to go a bit more.

DSCF0008_zpsf1bba2d3.jpg

Next i wanted to get rid of the ugly green color so first thing i did was paint the beadlocks.

Anyhow at this point tons of flex with room to spare.

DSCF0013_zps8d5bec0d.jpg

My next project is making a roof rack.
I'm using a copper 1/8th inch wire. It's not too hard on its own so its nice to form by hand however once you put it all together its quite sturdy. Some of my solders are pretty messy and will need cleaning up however overall it looks good in my opinion. Will paint it black once i get the rest of the cage fixed up.

DSCF0011_zpsdf5738fd.jpg

DSCF0010_zps78feba0e.jpg

I will be buying some 1/4th inch wire/copper pipe to make a roll cage out of it and will be mounting the rack on top after that as well as mounting a tire at the back on a slant. I'll be painting everything black after it's made.

Anyone have a tire they are looking to sell/get rid of thats around 7" in diameter?

Anyhow let me know what you think so far.

Last edited:
Back