• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Make my scaler climb better

jimkill

Pebble Pounder
eOJGSZil.jpg

gtn9Fz2l.jpg

vEzaCUul.jpg

Man6S1Sl.jpg

I've put a bunch of effort into building a pretty scale D90 on a 10.2 chassis. I used the hard body raffee kit and I've finally got it looking how I want. Now I need to focus on making it perform a lot better. I know it's not going to be competitive but I'd like to make it better at sticking to the rocks. The biggest issue I have is that the body rocks side to side and has a very hard time staying flat. I put gmade zero shocks on it but I don't think they really changed much. I've got heavy steel wheels and custom brass lower links. What else can I do? Any ideas for tuning the suspension?

See my original build thread here

Judging by the first pic, I'd try a shorter shock, or Limit the shock your using internally... Great looking D90!

The shocks are the same length as the stock 10.2 kit shocks, these ones. If I use a shorter shock I'll have to change all the steering geometry right? In the first pic the truck is coming down a slope and the shocks are fully extended and the body is rolling to the passenger side.

It's probably top heavy as heck. Why new shocks right off the bat? There are these things called shock oil weight and spring rate that you can play around with.

Looks great, btw!

Yes, it's definitely heavy and yes torque twist is a problem. How can I combat these two problems? I swapped from the icons because they pretty much did nothing with the heavy body and I figured bigger bore shocks would help with the extra weight. I still have the icons.

Make the bottom even heavier than the top! :D
Heavier oil may help with tippiness and torque twist.
Torque twist is usually managed with anti-sway bars but they usually limit articulation.

Not familiar with the SCX10.2, but it looks like it rides pretty high which makes all your problems worse!

Very nice rig "thumbsup", but obviously top heavy. Adding weight to axles, wheels and lower links will help to bring your center of gravity down. BUT - in fact you have two centers of gravity: one up and one down. Both centers of gravity are connected by flexible elements (links, dampers/shocks and springs).
So, when sidehilling, the weight low down will keep your wheels planted but the body will roll (following gravity).
Limiting suspension travel will help as well bringing your ride height down. Torque twist is not too bad on SXC-II rigs.

Key is weight distribution. I prefer the following set-up:
1.) High mass on both front and rear axles to keep the wheels on ground.
2.) Upper mass (cassis and body) is moved forward (and low) as far as possible (battery placement, electronics etc.)
3.) Big bore shocks with heavy weight oil will slow down swinging and prefent the body from rocking side to side.
4.) Stiff springs up front and soft springs in the rear. Stiff spring in front will support the weight and will reduce movement between axle and chassis (body). So the body will follow the front axles movements. Soft springs in the rear will give you all the travel and articulation you need.

Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone, this is perfect. I'll add some more weight to the bottom. I'm running 35wt in the shocks right now, I'll try doubling it to 70 or 80 and see what happens. Does anyone know where to get different springs for the gmade shocks?

The SSD axle is 75g front and 100g rear. I can't find a weight for beef tubes. Does anybody know how much they weigh?

Get these ssd knuckles and weights and heavier shock oil. Try stiffer springs on the side there truck twists to
6afa24d2019c584ae6bef5df0bc909f4.jpg
9594adb1ba4c0f8fbdebb0bca5a944e4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, this is perfect. I'll add some more weight to the bottom. I'm running 35wt in the shocks right now, I'll try doubling it to 70 or 80 and see what happens. Does anyone know where to get different springs for the gmade shocks?

You can find Gmade shock spring sets at RCMART:
Gmade Store, Gmade|1/16 E-Revo Brushed (#7105)|1/16 E-Revo VXL (#7107 / #7108)|1/16 SLASH (#7008)|1/-
(Rcmart can also be found on fleabay)

The Xtra Speed AR44 axle is a cheap and heavy weight direct replacement for the stock plastic housing:
for Axial SCX10 II #XS-SCX230056BK, ,(XS-SCX230056BK) by Xtra Speed AR44 Alloy Front or Rear Axle Housing Black

Even if the Xtra Speed axle is nowhere near as nice as the SSD pro44 axle (which looks like the Salisbury Axle on 110 Defenders)

I opt for stiffer springs up front (both sides) to prevent side rolling and heavy weigth oil all around to prevent side to side rocking :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: heavy weight shock oil and high mass on axles (unsprung weight) will not work on go-fast vehicles :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Beef tube together with the stock axle housing is 50 grams [emoji12]

I think just the beef tubes are 50g so it would be that plus whatever the stock housing drilled out weighs. It seems like the SSD axles are a bit heavier and half as much money.

You can find Gmade shock spring sets at RCMART:
Gmade Store, Gmade|1/16 E-Revo Brushed (#7105)|1/16 E-Revo VXL (#7107 / #7108)|1/16 SLASH (#7008)|1/-
(Rcmart can also be found on fleabay)

The Xtra Speed AR44 axle is a cheap and heavy weight direct replacement for the stock plastic housing:
for Axial SCX10 II #XS-SCX230056BK, ,(XS-SCX230056BK) by Xtra Speed AR44 Alloy Front or Rear Axle Housing Black

Even if the Xtra Speed axle is nowhere near as nice as the SSD pro44 axle (which looks like the Salisbury Axle on 110 Defenders)

I opt for stiffer springs up front (both sides) to prevent side rolling and heavy weigth oil all around to prevent side to side rocking :mrgreen:

Disclaimer: heavy weight shock oil and high mass on axles (unsprung weight) will not work on go-fast vehicles :mrgreen::mrgreen:

This is very helpful. What weight oil are you talking here?

Put a sway bar on it. It will greatly reduce body roll. You'll love it. Mine kicks ass. I can do donuts both direction without flipping. It still flexes great too.

Dlux Fab

Drill a hole through the frame and I attached the links to the backside of the shock/link mounts with a longer screw.

Climbs so much better.

This is very helpful. What weight oil are you talking here?

To be honest, I don`t know what weight it exactly is. I am riding the Traxxas big bore shocks with the oil they come with.
First I thought I had to drill additional holes into the pistons to make the shocks work, but now I am glad I did not and I am very happy with how they perform.

Put a sway bar on it. It will greatly reduce body roll. You'll love it. Mine kicks ass. I can do donuts both direction without flipping. It still flexes great too.

Dlux Fab

Drill a hole through the frame and I attached the links to the backside of the shock/link mounts with a longer screw.

Climbs so much better.

Perfect, Dlux is just down the road from me.

Back