• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Magicald's Classic Torsion Super Build...On a budget!

magicald

I'm a neebie to crawling, but I've had RC cars for years and I've admired this site and rc crawling. I wanted to do a step by step, but just have not had the time, so here's my completed Clod based "classic" torsion chassis super built on a budget. Details:

- handbuilt 17.5" torsion chassis with 1/2 aluminum bar from the Hardware store.
- HPI MT2 Rear shocks
- Stock Clod axles and pinions
- Low bucks racing 55t motors ($11 each from Racer's edge)
- CC Micro sidewinder ESC's
- CC 10amp BEC
- 1800 mah 3S batteries x 2
- Pro-line 40 beadlocks and used Moabs
- custom wheel weight system using plexiglass discs and 300 grain .45 caliber lead bullets
- Hitech HS-7954SH servos
- modified dx6

Have only driven it around the house so far, I have to find some rocks to try it on. I hope it does better on the rocks...I can't even get up more than 1 concrete step outside???

How do you make Clods crawl better? tires? higher ratio gears? smaller pinion? better motors? HELP PLEASE!!

still working on the steering setup.

Thinking about some custom plow boys and Cen wheels for more ground clearance.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

yo

How are the micro sidewinders on that big rig? I was advised to use at least 1/10 sidewinders... If they are working good than great let me know but if you are wondering than that might answer the "how do you make clods crawl better" question.... Nice rig! keep us posted.

Thanks! The micro sidewinders are working so far...I've done about four 10 minute runs and the ESC's barely get warm...cooler than the servos depending on how much hard turning I'm doing.

I have the drag brake set at 212% (crawler) with Castle link and it holds the rig fairly well...could probably be better with handwound motors.

wow- 2 3S batteries-- you run them in parallel?

No, I've been running separate batteries for each ESC's, one has the CC BEC tied to it...thinking about running parallel though

Pretty nice with the wheel weight system....I like it!!! rock on!!!lol

Thanks! I reload pistol ammo for target shooting and I just got the idea one night...300 grains x 8 per wheel = 2400 grains or 5.48 ounces per wheel at max so I have 11 ounces running up front now.

Also, I have to get a picture up, but .40 caliber bullets fit nicely in the stock clod knuckes with a homemade lexan washer to hold them in. 6 bullets per knuckle is the max at 180 grains each, so 2.5 ounces extra per knuckle if I want it.

So, if you run all the bullets...that's about 1 pound per axle extra weight! Wish I could get the wife to let my buy VP revolvers, but this is MUCH CHEAPER!!

Just to let you know, I used a 2-3/4" hole saw for the plexiglass disc then I used a 1.5" hole saw to cut the inside hole. Lastly four 1/8" holes for 3mm bolts. Two discs per wheel to hold the bullets in place. Just remember to run the hole saws in REVERSE and fairly high RPM to essentially melt the hole in the plexiglass. I'll try to get some pics up. Bullets are fairly cheap when bought in bulk.

Tried a dual servo setup for the front since one HS-7954SH was getting too hot to touch; however, Here's what I learned....DON'T RUN TWO HIGH TORQUE SERVOS LINKED WITHOUT SYNCRONIZING THEM!!!! BROKE A GEAR INSIDE ONE SERVO!

I have a HS-7980TH on the way!! And I'm making my mount for my New HS-805BB for the Rear!

On my clod 9 tooth pinions seemed to help out. They made it alot easier climbing steps and gave it much more slow speed power.

Back