• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Loud gears

Kronblom

Hi. So I’ve just finished building my Capra kit and I noticed that the transmission is really loud. Almost like the gears don’t properly mesh or something. I took it apart again and went through the the different parts trying to locate the worse noise. Experimenting with the pinion mesh didn’t help much.
I’m running a brushless setup so the motor without the pinion and running free is ultra silent. Rotating the driveshafts manually the axles are rather quiet as well. I’ve greased all the parts according to the instructions with the supplied black grease.
Have any of you had the same issue with the kit?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

The Capra transmission is loud. There are a lot of metal gears in there. You really can't do much other than lube it.

My Capra is loud only in forward, reverse has a nice and smooth sound to it. I have isolated the trans from the diffs and its deff the trans. Any ideas why this would be.

Assuming that the internals are well lubricated, just make sure you're not setting the pinion/spur mesh too tight (I find it always needs to be looser that I expect) and that's really all you can do.

Assuming that the internals are well lubricated, just make sure you're not setting the pinion/spur mesh too tight (I find it always needs to be looser that I expect) and that's really all you can do.

For sure. Metal pinion/spur gears need extra clearance vs plastic spur gears and the capra is especially noisy when the mesh is wrong.

I have no idea if my Capra gears are noisy. Just do what I did. Throw a Holmes Revolver in it. Lol

Well that fixed it!! packed the trans full of the rest of the lube that came with the kit and set the pinion extra loose (about four times looser than i would regularly)and the noise is gone. Thanks for the help.

In the past, in a world far far away, people used to set pinion-spur gap by using a strip of copier paper between the two. That's still applicable anymore? Two or maybe three strips? :)

On plastic gears sure, steel on steel needs a bunch more backlash.

Well that fixed it!! packed the trans full of the rest of the lube that came with the kit and set the pinion extra loose (about four times looser than i would regularly)and the noise is gone. Thanks for the help.

Be careful not to overpack it.

You only need enough grease to coat the gear tooth faces (read: not much) and stuffing the case full of grease can actually cause resistance to rotation, gears need room to move freely. I'm not saying you did that (obviously I don't know if you did or didn't), I'm just saying to watch for that.

People have a default tendency to over-grease things, you really don't actually need much.

Be careful not to overpack it.

You only need enough grease to coat the gear tooth faces (read: not much) and stuffing the case full of grease can actually cause resistance to rotation, gears need room to move freely. I'm not saying you did that (obviously I don't know if you did or didn't), I'm just saying to watch for that.

People have a default tendency to over-grease things, you really don't actually need much.

I have my own auto repair shop and this reminds me of people using anti seize like its free lol

I used a tacky marine grease so that it clings a little better. I've found the cheap stuff tends to fling off and just end up around the case vs on the gears after a few runs.
Agreed with the comments about moderation of amount is key.

Back