• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

loose outer hub bearing - IFS2?

89Industries

Anybody else with an IFS2 rig notice that the front wheels are a bit extra wobbly?

Lots of joints to add the slop but I also noticed that the outer bearings in the knuckle are actually sloppy in the bore radially. I am thinking of using some aluminum foil to shim to OD of the bearing into the bore.

I'm only a couple years into real RC stuff so the whole slip fit bearing fit was kind of a surprise to me but this is just plain loose.

Any other ideas for this?

I also noticed that I can't remove axial slop because the shoulder on the axle is too long. So if I add a shim behind he wheel hex pin like normal I can get the bearings adjusted, but the whole axle will still just push the bearings in and out since it is so loose in the bore. I have some 8mm ID x 10mm OD shims coming tonight to put behind the bearing in the bore to correct this axial play.

And yes, I know none of this really matters.

How long have you had the ifs2? Extra wobbly, possibly wrong size bearing, check for stress cracks when you take it apart. Try to move the arm from the knuckle, something you might not notice while it is at a standstill just fiddling with it in the bench.

Could also be a worn out / blow out bearing. If it was bound up the bearing could have spun and melted the knuckle.

Yes you can shim the axle.

Pics definately help, too many variables…

the IFS2 was brand new from Element (RPP actually) about 3 weeks ago. I haven't driven it more than 20 minutes, wheels and all rotated freely and correctly upon original install which is when I noticed the wobbly bearing in the pocket trying to originally just shim the axles like I normally do on all the other trucks (including another Element gatekeeper, Axial capra and scx10iii (2), vanquish phoenix straight axle, cross rc jt4 and an axial rr10 bomber).

The 8mm ID x 10mm OD shim that fit behind the outer ring of the outer hub bearing actually solved the slop in the bearing pocket issue. I briefly attempted the aluminum foil shim around the od of the bearing and decided it was more hassle trying to get it installed than it was worth at the moment.

I could not shim the hub bearings like you normally do on my other trucks. The axle goes from 10mm at the inner bearing down to 6mm to space the bearings apart and then 5mm for the outer bearing. That 6mm shoulder is longer than the distance between the inner and outer bearing when they are both completely seated into their respective pockets. And with the outer being super loose if you put a shim behind the 12mm drive hex it would lock the outer bearing in place but the whole axle still slid in and out almost .5mm and let the outer bearing wobble up and down. Using 0.4mm thickness of the 8mmx10mm shims behind the outer bearing keeps the axle and outer bearing from sliding in and out and satisfactorily eliminated the outer bearing wobble.

There is definitely still play in each of the ball joints and the inner a-arm pivots but the wheel to hub is nice and solid now and rotates very freely.

I know pictures help but I am lazy and haven't set up the imgur account like Jato suggests and do not have other image hosting accounts except google pics which this sight does not like.

Back