• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking to buy a Yeti, need some opinions...

abailey21

Rock Stacker
Ok, definitely not new. I've been racing TC, 12th on road since about 2006, 2wd off road since about 2012. Also been on a vintage kick lately restoring gold pan's to their former glory. I got my start in 1991 with Gold Pan's

I'm contracting for the Army and spending a lot of my time overseas, (Afghanistan, Iraq crappy ass places like that). A lot of guys have bashers over here, mostly SC10's and Traxxas. I've been looking at something to bash with since January when I got here (had to pay off some bills before justifying a new RC) I've been in love with the Yeti since the original press release but I'm not really a big part of the this RC genre and I have questions.

I have a good radio, with a new one sitting in the box back home (4PK, M12) so RTR or kit that M12 is going in asap. But that's where i'm stopped dead in my tracks. I've been reading threads on here, RCT, scouring the depths of the interwebz for more info on this truck. Do you guys who own them recommend the RTR or Kit???? I'm speaking more of the power system, I've read good and bad on here on the ESC and motor in the RTR.

Here's my plans for it, all STRC aluminum (green8)) More than likely that SSD 2 speed I saw on here earlier today, RPM arms, RC Screwz kit, The fastest Edward bearings on 3S only used for bashing, I doubt very highly I'll be doing any crawling.

I've seen a lot of you guys using the 3S SMC packs and those are very reasonably priced and I'll more than likely go that route. But I'd like a one and done ESC and motor setup and I know nothing outside 2wd off road buggy racing setups, for obvious reasons I want reliable and go fast and durable for the beating I know will happen to the truck out here in the rocks and mud and hadji feet.

As for servo I might need some guidance as well cause I doubt a Reedy XP 1015 is going to cut it for this truck.

Let me know your recommendations and experiences and get me off on the right foot right out of the gate.

Side note, does anyone have an E-Revo and Yeti to compare sizes side by side? I don't exactly have a LHS to try and check this for meself;-)

The kit version has more upgrades which will make it more 'bashable'. Comes with the universals in the front, all the turnbuckles, heavy duty gears, metal steering posts and more. I have a picture of it beside a summit but that's not quite an erevo.
8cf4d9eab291d7492938110edf749b5c.jpg
ceacc6960c8ddabe96e13b49149ae1cd.jpg
5af03a637cdba8f9719b66d38c99c52f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comparison, That's mostly because I need to ship it everywhere I go and I needed that to size in my Pelican case

I just bought the RTR and I have only ran it a handful of times but Iam happy with it. No real problems yet. I did buy some of the upgrades the kit already has such as the hardened gears and dif locker but I have yet to put them in. I have one ran it on 2s and like you i come from a racing background so Im sure you will find it slow as i did on 2s. I bought a 3s but havent tried it yet but im sure that will be the way to go.

How do you like the radio Twisted? The more I'm thinking about it I'm not so sure I wanna bring a $450+ dollar radio on deployment just to get the crap kicked out of it.

Seems like there have been tons of upgraded Yeti's in the classifieds lately, just buy one for cheaper than you could build one and bash away.

Wes

I'm not sure what sort of terrain you'll have. I purchased the kit myself. I find that if any high speed movements are done, especially on pavement, the yeti has a tendency to flip over. My setup could be different, as I'm more a rock crawler / trailing type. But there are others who have had this issue. Just keep that in mind as the Yeti certainly is different than most other trucks.

The RTR is perfectly fine as long as you run 3s. The kit is a MUCH better starting point but a used upgraded rig would probably be your best bet.

I have a pretty heavily upgraded rtr and if you're looking to do a one and done esc and motor combo, just go with the kit. It'll obviously cost you more overall but I think you'll appreciate it more having some of the kit's upgrades and the satisfaction of building it yourself. And if you're planning the two speed, you'll want a good sensored setup for low speed. Popular combo seems to be the MMP and Tekin Pro 4 HD 3000. Some guys prefer the TEKIN R8 series esc, but the MMP works just fine.

Also, the rtr tires are very stiff and don't really grip all that well. Kit tires are a better compound so you'd be less likely to want to replace them soon. You'd benefit from adding a set of Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild foams though.

As for the RTR radio...it gets the job done but no adjustable end points and no additional channels for shifting the two speed trans. I'm about to upgrade to either a 4PLS or MT4 myself.

As for servos, for the money, the Holmes Hobby BL400 Trail Master is a great option. High power, titanium gears, metal case, waterproof, quick response, and under $100. On that note...don't forget to lock out the servo saver.

Hope this helps with your decision and gives at least a little insight on where to start.

I bought a RTR and upgraded to the kit turnbuckles and rear link braces and it's been solid for me. I use my MT4S 40th ed for the TX. I just got a kit version also because I love how the yeti runs and want to put my own spin on one. I'll be using a RX8 gen 2 esc with a Pro4hd 3000kv motor and a hitec 7954 servo.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses guys, got a good idea of the direction I think I want to go.

Now to justify the cost....

Thanks for the responses guys, got a good idea of the direction I think I want to go.

Now to justify the cost....

If I actually had to justify what I have spent on this money Hoover we call a yeti....mine would have to drive itself to the sandbox while I flew first class, then when I arrived my yeti would need to have dinner ready for me and a case of beer chilled and waiting....it would still owe me money, but that would be a good start:mrgreen:

I think quite honestly that buying either kit or RTR is the last option! With already hopped up Yetis popping up like prairie dogs everywhere, that is without a doubt the way I would go. Spend a small amount more initially for in essence 300+ bucks in hops ups that someone else is getting pennies on the dollar return for! Most everyone upgrades the weak spots first, so you may well be left with little to no extra cash out of pocket to have a sand n rock grinding yeti beast!

Oh yea one last thought, if your not gonna crawl at all, I'd suggest pulling the locker in the rear and dropping in replacement front dif spiders nod running thick diff oil or grease. That will make it handle and tun so much better and get the flipping worries down to almost nothing. I love using the throttle to pitch the beast around using that locked rear to my advantage, but being a buggy guy, you may find the transition to yeti much better with open gearing in back. Besides its not hard to swap it back should you change your mind later!

Have fun and good luck! While yer over there try to avoid bullets and roadside bombs, from what I hear, while both are easy enough to come across, I guess they can really put a damper on the sight seeing"thumbsup"

overseas...parts availability...axial racers aren't as strong as their trail trucks. Unless you're ungrading like heck right out of the box, you're going to be left wanting.

Kit better idea, needs aluminum hubs for sure. I'm using a futaba 180 Oz servo and it's plenty of torque and speed. I'm also using the axial vanguard 2900 with a 14t pinion....little slow for my taste but it's for my young son.

Might I suggest a Tekin setup with a pro 4 4000kv. You can run it with a mamba max pro but I had issues with that combo as did others in the race community.

Radii...anythjng with end point adjustments on the 3rd vhannel.

I've been going back and forth between a Yeti and brushless E-Revo, it's almost a wash in price after putting what I want in the Yeti right out of the box.

I'm waiting until I get back in the states at the end of May before I pull the trigger on anything.

A lot of guys have SC trucks and most break after about 3 minutes of running, couple 4wd SC's last a little longer but these are also guys who just buy RC for something to do and have never driven before.

I do like the ease of parts for the Revo because everyone makes them and they're easy to get, and it's just gonna be a deployment basher.

If all your looking for is a "deployment basher" i wouldn't get a Yeti of any kind. An Erevo is a diff eater stock. I would suggest a Traxxas Stampede.

SC Trucks are a no go unless you get top of the line like Tekno, Losi etc. They are way over priced for a basher but nearly indestructible. I put my Losi SCTE 2.0 through the ringer and it laughs at me. Stuff gets bent but i can't remember when i actually broke something.

I've owned a few stampedes over the years, not a fun time and I've literally blown them apart with some mild bashing

Depends on your finger, I have a yeti and 4x4 slash for bashers,traxxas is built way tougher out of the box flat out. Love all of my axials, but out of the box tough...... Traxxas. You can make the yeti super sick, with a big budget. My 2cents :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Depends on your finger, I have a yeti and 4x4 slash for bashers,traxxas is built way tougher out of the box flat out. Love all of my axials, but out of the box tough...... Traxxas. You can make the yeti super sick, with a big budget. My 2cents :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Well dollar for dollar, if your thinking strictly which gets bullet proof cheapest...my stampede 4x4 was much less, but in fairness, stuff like Vanquish centered Currie I got is hardly the cost effective way to toughness. Plus my stampede only has alloy and steel where it actually needs it, the rest I left to RPM which does bullet proof cheaper than anyone.

Also that techno chassis brought up earlier is set from get, just add the finishing touches and its bullet proof. Actually prolly cheaper overall. And though I can't say first hand, my friends all own that new pro line 2wd monster truck kit and run 3800 castle SCT set ups in them and they beat the bejesus out of them and not one of them has had an issue besides destroying lids!

Anyway just a few random thoughts that may or may not help

Back