• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

looking for new charger and balance board

Devinb

Rock Stacker
I've been out of the rc crawling game for quite a few years. My 14-year old won't stop bugging me about dusting off the old AX-10 Scorpion buggy and letting him take it over, but I need new batteries and a charger. I've found the right batteries but I'd like to buy four and use a balance board for simplicity's sake. What's a good charger that can handle the balance board?

I'm also open to alternative ideas. I've seen the Hitec X2 Black Edition recommended all over the place, but I can't find it in stock anywhere. Would it be a better idea to forgo the balance board and get a good charger that has two channels? Anything else I should consider?

The Hitec X2 AC Black Edition is an excellent, and (somewhat) budget-friendly option. I have one, and it used to be my primary charger (after I stepped using a Traxxas charger over a year ago...it went *pop*, they shipped me a replacement, but I never opened it, as I had already switched to the Hitec).

One of the great things about the Hitec is that it's AC/DC...on DC, it's max charging ability is double that of it's AC output. If you can't find the "Black Edition", look for the standard version. The only difference is that the "Black" includes built-in Bluetooth, so that your phone (via the Hitec app) can keep you updated on the charging/discharging of the battery, and that you can set-up/start/stop charging via the app. If app-connectivity isn't important to you, then get the 'standard' version, and save some money. Another thing to know is that the Hitec X2 is also sold by Horizon Hobby, under their 'Dynamite' brand, as the Dynamite Passport P2...again, exact same charger.

I still have the Hitec, but, since getting my iCharger 406 Duo, the Hitec has become my "backup". When I put together my charger case (the iCharger is mounted inside), I had additional ports installed - a 4.2A dual USB (with voltage meter), 3A 5mm bullets (for low-powered accessories, such as my RC scale), and high-output 5mm bullets (for powering the Hitec, or any other DC-capable charger). This way, if I'm ever in need of charging 4 packs, I'll be able to.

Anyway...enough about my charging setup...the Hitec X2 (Black Edition, or 'standard'), as well as the Dynamite Passport P2, is a great choice.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

My 10 year old Hyperion charger started having glitches in its beeps and alarm sounds, so I thought it was time for retirement. It is such a great charger, I wanted something that could push more than the hyperions 150 watts. Did some research and checked out some reviews and ordered this 60$ charger/power supply combo. I've had it a few days, and it will charge 4 5000 mAh 2s packs at once no problem. Also, it does many, many other things. It's like an rc tech shop in a box. Gotta check out the features... For 60$...

[US$59.99 22% OFF]ToolkitRC M8 DC 300W 15A Battery Balance Charger Discharger With LANTIAN 400W Power Supply RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood.com
https://banggood.app.link/UmrIyhxb25

If you want more power they have the M8S for 80$ if your pushing huge 4s packs.

30 yrs in I'm blown away with this.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

I have a hitec x2 as well and would recommend it as a good budget charger. I personally much prefer the ichargers just due to the way their menu screen and controls are set up. We had a 308duo but that one went up in smoke after 2 1/2 or 3 years hence why we got the x2. I'd recommend icharger as well despite the incident."thumbsup"

I recently bought the Hitec X2 Black Edition and i have been happy with it. It replaced a Reedy 1216 that lasted about 2 years.

Easy to use and the Bluetooth link is a cool feature, but i admit i have only used it a few times. Smaller footprint than the 1216 which is nice. And yes, get a 2 channel charger!

I looked very hard at the iCharger x6 and even the 308DUO. These are much more powerful chargers, but ultimately it was something i don't need. I take it easy with my batteries and usually charge at 1C, so most of the features are lost on me. The downside is you also need to add a separate power supply for the iChargers. Not a big deal, but just more clutter on the bench and another expense.

If you find you are discharging packs; i highly recommend getting a separate discharger. Only on occasion do i discharge packs, but i think ultimately this is what killed my 1216. After taking apart the charger i found the circuit board around the resistors was cooked. It also makes discharging packs to storage voltage a 10 minute ordeal vice 60 minutes+.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0775PDWZM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also note: i am pretty sure the X2 is a rebranded SkyRC charger.

Last edited:
I am a big fan of skyrc chargers, they have not failed me. But I haven't used other brands. That's just because the first brand I picked never failed me though. Currently I'm using a d100v2.

Thanks for this advice everyone. I ended up ordering this charger from Amazon, they actually had it in stock! Hopefully it'll last me for years.

Thanks for this advice everyone. I ended up ordering this charger from Amazon, they actually had it in stock! Hopefully it'll last me for years.

FYI you can plug it into your computer and buy battery temp probes for around $5. I really like running it from my computer because I am a nerd and there a graphs to watch.

Attachments

• Ovonic 1300mAh 50C 2019-12-24.JPG
    Ovonic 1300mAh 50C 2019-12-24.JPG
    78.9 KB · Views: 443
Wow, the one I linked is half the price and 50% more powerful... Well to each his own...

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

That's either a rebranded Hitec or a clone or maybe SkyRC is the OEM. Either way, their charger cases look identical.

FYI you can plug it into your computer and buy battery temp probes for around $5. I really like running it from my computer because I am a nerd and there a graphs to watch.

That is very cool! Can you do that with the Hitec version?

That's either a rebranded Hitec or a clone or maybe SkyRC is the OEM. Either way, their charger cases look identical.

Yup...SkyRC...also sold by Hitec as the X2 AC, and sold by Horizon Hobby, under their Dynamite brand name as the Passport P2.

~ More peace, love, laughter & kindness would make the world a MUCH better place [emoji1690]

Easy to use and the Bluetooth link is a cool feature, but i admit i have only used it a few times. Smaller footprint than the 1216 which is nice. And yes, get a 2 channel charger!

Also note: i am pretty sure the X2 is a rebranded SkyRC charger.

The Hitec app reviews say it isn't the most stable, but they claim the SkyRC app works fine with the Hitec charger. I've got both apps loaded, but I am waiting for my Hitec charger to ship so I can test them out. I'm excited about the SCAN TO GO function, too. I'm going to be printing labels and slapping them on everything...

The Hitec app reviews say it isn't the most stable, but they claim the SkyRC app works fine with the Hitec charger. I've got both apps loaded, but I am waiting for my Hitec charger to ship so I can test them out. I'm excited about the SCAN TO GO function, too. I'm going to be printing labels and slapping them on everything...

I can't even get my phone to connect to my Hitec X2.

I don't know who the oem is but scyrc has alwayse worked for me. I am not a fan of bluetooth on them because the software is just not polished. Or at least it wasn't for the Bluetooth adapter on the skyrc imax b6 mini that I had previously, or was that wifi?

But from what I see the skyrc is a much better price then the hitec

I have an x4 and the Bluetooth function was one of the reasons I bought it. I plug in my batteries, come upstairs and set up my charging parameters and hit the start button and away it goes. The app lets me know when it’s done. I had an x1 which was a great charger and I just needed more more ports so in came there x4. I am also unsure who the oem or the charger is. The x1 had a traxxas version also the wattage was different though. Who knows in the rc world anymore. So many things look alike and no one except the producers of the product know where they really come from.

Found this on RC Groups Posted by a guy who worked for Hitec.
"SkyRC is an OEM company for us which means they manufacture the chargers exactly how we tell them to. They are not off the shelf SkyRC chargers with a simple color and badge change."

Back