• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking at some 1:10 kits

bigcanoe

Rock Stacker
I am thinking about buying and building a kit for my first RC. The options are little overwhelming but I think it would be too much fun and I would learn alot. There seem to be a couple of basic types, with body and tires and without. I am looking at a few of both. Any standouts (good or bad) in this list? The top list shows the kit and the price difference from the RTR in parens. My budget is around $500 and I am interested in scale accuracy, customization, lighting, and playing (not competing) off road.

Traxxas TRX-4 Sport $280 (-60)
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler $370 (-129)
Axial SCX10 II Cherokee $300 (-69)
Redcat Wendigo $260 (-100)

SSD Trail King $319
Axial SCX II Raw $199
Traxxas TRX-4 Kit w Radio, Wheels $370
Element Enduro Sendero $239
Redcat Gen 8 $170

Last edited:
I was considering my purchase from a similar point of view. I decided to get a RTR to start with and then build from there.
I like the looks of the Gen 8 but the Axe version has so many upgrades included. 6 channel radio was not the least of these upgrades.
Then my wife scooped me and got herself an Axe a week before I did.
We are working with small tweaks now and doing tons of reading here and on FB for future ideas.

Yea I am definitely torn. Some of the RTRs seem to be worth more than the sum of their parts! I am also slightly intimidated and worried I may screw up my build :) Especially painting! The Traxis kit is cool, its basically the Bronco without the body. But then I really like the Bronco body and its more expensive to buy separate. The Axial SCXiii kit is only about $130 less than the RTR and I have to buy all the parts, radio, and paint. So I definitely see where you are coming from.

Sounds like your budget will accommodate any of those kits as long as you don't go crazy with electronics. If it has to be a kit and I had to pick from that list, then it would either be the TRX-4 or the Element Enduro. The TRX-4 kit has great build quality and has really good instructions, but it comes with more options than the others, so it's pricier. If you're fine with RTR, then you can't go wrong with any of the TRX-4 Options or the Element Enduro Options.

You can't really go wrong with the Axial 10.3 either, because it now has better build quality, TRX-4 like features, and is superior to the 10.2 kits, but I still don't like it as much as the others. Redcat usually has inferior build quality compared to the others and the SSD kit is great if you really want to go all about scale, but you pay dearly for it.

Yea, I think the budget will work. How does the 2 speed in the Axial compare to the two speed in the Traxxas? What about dig (TRX-4) vs lockers (SXC10 iii)? Part of me wants the bells and whistles part just wants a simple truck that I can customize and add lights to. Does this short list look correct?

All require battery and charger:
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport $280 | Straight axles, no lockers, no dig, no 2 speed | sport body and wheels | no radio or electronics
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler $370 | Portal axles, dig, 2 speed | wrangler body and wheels | no radio or electronics
Traxxas TRX-4 Kit w Radio, Wheels $370 | Portal axles, front and rear lockers, 2 speed | no body but wheels | includes radio and electronics (4 channel)
Element Enduro Sendero $239 | Straight axles, no dig, no lockers, no 2 speed, but overdrive (do you have to swap gears?) | no body or wheels | no radio or electronics

Last edited:
I don't own the 10.3, but the videos I've watched say the 2 spd could be geared better. Compared to the TRX-4, the low side isn't as low and the high side isn't as high, so it won't crawl as slow as the TRX-4 and it's not as fast in 2nd gear. The TRX-4 does not have a dig at all, but it has locking diffs. 2 completely different animals and not really comparable.

Short list looks fine. The Axial and Element also come in a RTR if you decide to go that route and Traxxas has RTR's with all the bells and whistles already installed with really scale bodies (Bronco/Blazer/Mercedes)

Both the Axial and Traxxas kits have the same parts as the RTR, but the Element has some upgraded bits in the kit, which are not in the RTR. The Element comes stock with overdrive and also provides gears to increase the OD or remove it.

I have been into RC for years, but just over a year ago I got into crawlers. I bought the Element kit as my first kit and am still happy with it to this day. Simple build and lots support from both AE and the aftermarket.

I also have a 10.3 and love that kit too. Crawls very well right out of the box. Little more complex than the Element to build/maintain but overall a great kit and one I would purchase again.

For these kits without bodies, are they standard 12.3 fit typically? I hear about issues with the dig and the lockers, so I guess neither are fool proof. so the TRX has a 2 speed as well? In both kits or just the fancier (non sport) kit?

If I get RTR my choices are:

Axial SCX10 iii Wrangler
Redcat Gen 8 Axe (but is reliability a concern?)
Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco
Element Enduro Trailrunner (IFS, overdrive)
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport

I want to point out that a RTR typically needs a proper maintenance check before being actually run. Screw torque checked, thread locker applied, gearboxes greased, shock oil checked... You almost have to take it apart before you get serious with it anyway.

But for the RTR you dont have a book showing you how it all goes together right? Maybe I could find a kit manual and follow that for disassembly and reassembly. My heart says Axail SXC10 3 kit or Traxxas TRX4 crawler kit. My brain says TRX4 sport kit or simpler RTR. I would hate to spend $500+ and end up getting frustrated or breaking something and not having a running truck at the end :(

But for the RTR you dont have a book showing you how it all goes together right? Maybe I could find a kit manual and follow that for disassembly and reassembly. My heart says Axail SXC10 3 kit or Traxxas TRX4 crawler kit. My brain says TRX4 sport kit or simpler RTR. I would hate to spend $500+ and end up getting frustrated or breaking something and not having a running truck at the end :(

I downloaded the Trx4 kit manual from traxxas. I have the sport but it is a great reference.

I also have the Element Sendero manual downloaded when I was trying to decide on a vehicle.

So the references are out there.

For these kits without bodies, are they standard 12.3 fit typically? I hear about issues with the dig and the lockers, so I guess neither are fool proof. so the TRX has a 2 speed as well? In both kits or just the fancier (non sport) kit?

If I get RTR my choices are:

Axial SCX10 iii Wrangler
Redcat Gen 8 Axe (but is reliability a concern?)
Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco
Element Enduro Trailrunner (IFS, overdrive)
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport

Here's my simple breakdown;

SCX10 iii - Seems pretty solid, but there have been issues with broken panhard mounts on the axle. Complaints about 2-speed gear ratios too.

Redcat Axe - solid all around. No durabilty issues like on the regular gen 8. Some people complain about the wonky steering geometry, but it doesn't really make a difference on the rocks. The truck is far more capable than it should be. Electronics are tops & won't need to be upgraded.

Traxxas TRX4 Bronco - The best built trucks out there. 2-speed trans & selectable lockers. Very durable, but mediocre electronics.

Enduro Trailrunner - The transmission is the star of that show with its overdrive. Center mounted motor though, if that's a concern for you (I prefer forward mounted motors). Because of IFS, it's not as capable in the rocks as the others.

TRX4 Sport - No nonsense workhorse. Single speed trans, no selectable lockers (locked all the time, like the other brands), mediocre electronics.

Very nice summary! I am whittling it down:

RTR
Element Trailrunner - IFS is intriguing, also overdrive.
Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco - I love the body style
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler - A fan of the body style and DIG
Redcat Gen8 Axe - Unsure about Redcat, seems like a budget company except for this

Kits
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit (chassis and wheels) - Probably the most logical kit choce for me
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler Kit (chassis and wheels) - May be too complex for a first build
Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit (everything but body) - Basically a Bronco minus the shell

Very nice summary! I am whittling it down:

RTR
Element Trailrunner - IFS is intriguing, also overdrive.
Traxxas TRX-4 Bronco - I love the body style
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler - A fan of the body style and DIG
Redcat Gen8 Axe - Unsure about Redcat, seems like a budget company except for this

Kits
Traxxas TRX-4 Sport Kit (chassis and wheels) - Probably the most logical kit choce for me
Axial SCX10 III JL Wrangler Kit (chassis and wheels) - May be too complex for a first build
Traxxas TRX-4 Chassis Kit (everything but body) - Basically a Bronco minus the shell

I am new just got back into RC. Previously the last one I built was a tamiya frog in the '80s as a teenager.

I would definitely recommend a kit because that is where a lot of the fun is for me. Also as you drive things will break or you will see what you want to upgrade or change and you will be more familiar.

So far I have built a RC4WD TF2 an SCX10.III and I have a SCX10.II on the way. I didn't have a budget but I did try to get inexpensive good thing instead of cheap things or the best things. Don't forget you will need other stuff like tools, paint, charger, battery, controller. Some RTR have that but seems the consensus is that is mostly junk. Going KIT you get to pick some better stuff.

Here are some things I found that I think are great deals and can be used with multiple vehicles:
ESC Hobbywing 1080 $42
CrawlMaster Sport 540 13t 1850kv $15
20kg servo for steering $16
Flysky FS-GT5 $80
T150 Touch screen lipo charger $70
Gens ace 11.1V 2200mAh 3S 25C LiPo Battery Pack with XT60 Plug $23
Lipo fireproof bag $13

Unless you have some of that stuff (also paint/tools) or you are excluding it from your budget then you only have about $200 for a kit (including tires and body).

So far I have learned that I currently prefer performance over scale. Like the much better turning radius of scx vs tf2 and how much easier tf2 breaks. I enjoyed the build of scx10.3 more because of building the transmission, axels, diff. Stock tires on the scx are also much better for crawling.

I also realized I don't care about dig or changing gears. I thought I would be into that and maybe I will later on but right now I just want one gear tuned by the pinion size and I don't care about portals and would rather have low center of gravity and less weight. That is why I am building a lighter lower scx10.2. I was going to get the ssd trail king version of the chassis (better stuff at good value) but for me there is fun in upgrading slowly and seeing what breaks and worth the $ for that experience. Also with 3 vehicles I can swap out stuff between them.

Redcat Gen8 Axe - Unsure about Redcat, seems like a budget company except for this.

From what I've read around here, redcat is lead by a former axial exec. I suspect they jumped when axial got bought by horizon hobby. Probably why we're seeing that axe from them. (Which is freaking amazing looking, flysky, brushless, all metal)

here is a list of some more kits

Element Enduro $240
Carisma SCA-1E $250
SSD Trail King $320
Redcat Wendigo $260
axial scx10.2 $200
axial umg scx2 $300
axial capra $330
axial scx10.3 $370
TRX-4 Sport $299
TRX-4 Chassis $399
cross demon $330
gmade gom $340
gmade and cross have other kits as well
rc4wd bully 2 $590
rc4wd tf2 $500
Vanquish VS4-10 Pro $750
Vanquish VS4-10 Ultra $830
Vanquish VS4-10 Origin $900

Well, I ended up buying a Axial SCX10 III Jeep in Orange. I won it on EBay, $450 shipped, new. I wasn't really expecting to win it so I guess I will save the kit for another time! Any advice on what battery and charger to get? I should be ok with the stock electronics to start? Anything else I need?

Back