• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Longest run time... batteries and charger questions

o-o

Pebble Pounder
Hi all, total noob here and have been reading and learning a lot but have some questions.

I'm looking for the longest affordable run time from my new RS10 that still hasn't been delivered because of delayed shipping as a result of the snow.

It has been recommended by someone to buy a Imax B6 charger off ebay. Do all of them not come with the wall cord? It seems the only ones that have a 110V cord listed cost about $10 more.

Also, based on your experience, about how much run time have you gotten from each of the following batteries? My kids will want to run this thing nonstop.

1. Stock battery
2. Turnigy "Losi Mini SCT" type battery (2S LiPo, 1600mAh) <--- copied from another thread
3. 7.2v 5000mAh NiMH
4. Or suggest a good battery

Some chargers run off dc only while others run either ac/dc... typically the latter are as you said a lil more money.

More small batteries than less big batteries can be beneficial sometimes. The kids can wait 30 seconds for a pack change "thumbsup"

I went and read about the lipo batteries. Do you guys use the charging bag? Ever had one catch fire?

have never had an issue, but none of my batteries are puffy, over charged, or in bad shape. But ,,, i do think about storing them in an old ammo can - when i dig it out

I should probably invest in a charging bag, but touch wood I've had no mishaps yet. both my batteries are pretty new and they don't heat up when charging so I think I'm pretty safe

I must confess I'm to lazy to remove the battery from the truck when charging... :oops:

Big batteries give you more run time, obviously, but they also make the rig (top) heavy!
Lighter batteries provide better performance in obstacle negotiation.

I must confess I'm to lazy to remove the battery from the truck when charging... :oops:

Big batteries give you more run time, obviously, but they also make the rig (top) heavy!
Lighter batteries provide better performance in obstacle negotiation.

bad habit, good way to burn up the truck / house if something goes wrong.
my buddy used to do that until he had a fire and damn near burned
the garage down
SAFETY FIRST"thumbsup"

We run Tenergy 7.2v 5000mAh NiMH in our Redcats and Axial rigs. We can get close to an hour run time depending on the terrian we run.

We run most of our lights off a small secondary battery. I have Batteries Plus build them for me. They are smaller than 2 double A batteries side by side and as think as a double A. That's when I need 7.2v 400mAh. That will give me a few hours on LED lights. When I need my 12v 400mAh for my other trucks, that runs for about the same time. LED's only. It's about the same size as 2 double A batteries. Kind of cool.

Fun stuff for sure.

My Imax B6 is ac/dc both and did come with the wall cord for around $50. Great charger. Personally, I'm not a fan of running a large capacity battery in a crawler. Here's why:

1. They're big, heavier, and you have to be more creative when mounting them when it comes to getting the center of gravity where you want it. Some rigs, such as the Wraith, have battery trays made for larger batteries, which put said battery in a great position for weight distribution.

2. You can buy multiple smaller batteries for the same price, which will have the same capacity combined, and weigh practically nothing and can fit virtually anywhere. The downside to this is you have to change batteries more frequently.

I can get pretty close to an hour of run time on my Axial based scaler on a 1200mah 2s lipo. Granted, I'm not full throttle the entire time. I've had amazing luck with Sky lipos. Run them in my scaler and short course trucks both and have multiple friends who also run them with no issues. Cheap and reliable.

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I finally got my RS10 today and drove it around in the house for just a few minutes, but really like it so far.

Is their any run time between the 2s 1200mah compared to the 2s 5000mah? Or are we just looking at the power performance.

Wasn't for sure which one to buy and the stock motors and esc could handle.

5Ah is for running half a day or more without replacing the battery.
For competitions with (up to) 7 minute runs batteries <1Ah is usually used, and changed/charged between courses.

My kid use a 1.5Ah battery, and used half of it during a 30 minutes fairly intense run.

25-30 min. run time with 1345 mah flight power lipos. 90 min. to charge on ice charger. 5000 mah venom lipo, 1 hour run time, probably 2 hours to charge on same charger. Both batteries run my truck about the same. 11.1 v batteries.

Back