• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Lexan Repair with Wire Mesh?

JimrC

Quarry Creeper
Subscribed Member
So I had a big split on the front right corner of the beat-up Blazer body with a piece of lexan missing that needed some sort of repair. What would be the method of choice dealing with this? ... and maybe I should of asked before going ahead clueless :oops: but be nice to know for the future.

full

Anyways, didn't want to spend pennies if I no need to and ended up using some fine 120 wire mesh that I had on-hand. Also used some window screen repair tape, a bit of goop followed with some liquid electrical tape.

full

All back together. I've ran one battery though it so far and seems to be holding up for now.

full

I'm thinking of maybe adding some more screen tape to the front, covered with a layer of the liquid tape as added protection ... or would that be overkill?

Thats pretty similar to what I would have recommended. I would have used sheetrock (mesh) tape and a smear of E6000 to bond it all together.

I dont really see any issues with the wire mesh as is pretty much the same thing, the window screen repair tape is probably identical to the sheetrock tape although finer.

I've also used lexan scraps to back a split and E6000 though that doesnt really allow the body to flex so probably not as good of a method.

Oh and one tip for E6000, it can take off paint if you agitate it too much when applying it. Just do your smear of E6000 and let it be, dont overwork it.

Very similar here as well. Sheetrock mesh tape (self adhesive fiberglass mesh tape), and a coating of shoegoo over that.

FWIW: The above works great to reinforce corners and body mount spots before even running the body. It's an old Shortcourse truck tip I learned.

@HumboldtEF Appreciate the heads-up on the E6000 on paint (y)

@diezel666 I'm hoping the screen repair tape will be strong enough for a crawler but would probably spend the pennies on the sheet-rock tape if I had a basher. I wished I'd known or thought about reinforcing the Bronco before running ... yup ... small splits on that too lol

Much thanks guys (y)

I go by the local house window screen repair shop and get their scrap/trash window screen to use.
diezel666 yes sir on the sct bodies, been there done that
sometimes a small piece of cloth that will mold to the corners. soak it in adhesive

Last edited:
Back