• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Lets 3D print a Bronco Concept Body.

Try dropping down to 45 or 40. That will also slow down the first layer to about 20. Speed usually will make the difference , I’m never been impressed with ironing in cura

Hang up and Drive

Ok made those adjustments and put on the tailgate file. Dropped it to 40 and 20, then let it recalculate the additional speeds. Oddly it changed the travel speed from 90 to 120, I though it would slow everything down, but I guess not.

I have found ironing the top layer works out fairly nicely in cure. Don't think it works well enough, or you don't like how it finishes at all?

Subscribed! Looking forward to see how this turns out. I've been wanting to jump into the 3D printing world for awhile now, but wasn't really sure where to start. Looks like your build will help me get started.

Thanks for sharing.

Biggest mistake I made not buying a 3D printer when I had the funds. Ughhhh..

This is killer. Always love a Bronco Build.

I printed the rear tailgate using the adjustments suggested so far and it came out pretty good. However you can't really tell so I did a reprint of the front end.

Both of these prints had a brief heat gun treatment to melt any hair like fines and a washing in the sink to get rid of the glue and loose plastic.

No sanding, trimming or priming at this point.
7bde42255fe19fe51cbf866dd806ed0b.jpg

9e5db451100b9d2c863771d7700e246d.jpg

e32cf619047f0a1648758652c3994c90.jpg

9c7cc1437daedc50196dcbc95c197d80.jpg

a1511de46429d2aeb4b2b345161486a2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are you planning on painting the grille? If so I'm curious to see how the paint lays inside the 'R' in 'FORD' since the gaps are so tiny.

Are you planning on painting the grille? If so I'm curious to see how the paint lays inside the 'R' in 'FORD' since the gaps are so tiny.

I am not seeing that as much of an issue, I paint small stuff all the time. Generally I use a filler primer, then a 2x coat paint. However not this time around. I plan on making the finish clean enough with priming and sanding, then using an airbrush to get even paint coverage, then protecting with a good clear coat.

But to answer your question, if I am concerned about the gap, I will preheat the plastic to 100 ish degrees(f), then use a hair dryer,(not a heat gun) to help the paint flow and not bridge the gap.

I am starting the priming process, to get enough so I can sand, now. I will take pictures along the way so you can see how it turns out. Of course I will provide updates as to how it was handled, or mishandled.

This thread certainly wont be one of those threads where everything is perfect. I am not embarrassed about failures or poor craftsmanship. This is a learning experience that I am hoping to share. I can already see by the interest and response that I should get good feedback from the forum, which is only going to make this project better.

So thanks for all the comments so far, and in advance for any comments that may come.

If anyone has request of what they want to see just ask, I will take pictures and post them.

I usually mix my washes from Tamiya acrylics and (X20thinner.).You can add many coats of wash, then buff the high spots to remove the extra

Hang up and Drive

Much of this is over my head at the moment. Once I get some PETG in my hands and start testing I should be able to absorb this much better, I learn by doing much better.

Thanks for sharing "thumbsup"

Oh and that concept body is awesome, I've always liked it.

Im wantin to get a 3d printer soon, i hope. All the info ive read thru out the forum has been very helpful. Only way to learn is to do. Thae faults help with the perfection. Cant wait to see this body with some paint. Good job so far!

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

A bit off topic but PETG related:
I printed up a Benchy with PETG last night using the default setup that Slicer PE has and it turned out pretty good, some overhangs had some flaws. I'm surprised that it did so well using defaults but I feel like I should probably just leave it be until I need to print something that has to be nicer like a body.

ogxKXiBl.jpg

I can sort of feel this stuff is dense and strong just by holding it, it also sticks to the build plate much better (not that PLA doesnt it just sticks a bit more)

Last edited:
Back