• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

LED controller

ilyak

Hello,

I am installing additional LEDs on to the roof rack of my FMS Land Cruiser 80. I would like to control them from the transmitter via ch3 so that they turn on/off together with the headlights (which are already controlled via ch3).
I have bought a light controller is plugged into ch3 port on the receiver and is connected to an external power source (https://www.banggood.com/de/ZMR-3V-...html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN&ID=516805). The reason I chose the controller with an external power source is that I have my LEDs on the roof rack connected in a line and therefore there is not enough Amps to power them all from the receiver.
The problem that I am having now is that when I power the receiver on, the lights on the roof rack light up right away (without pressing ch3 button). The headlights are off at the same time. After I press the ch3 button, the roof lights turn off, and the headlights turn on. So the roof lights and the headlights are not in sync.
Any ideas if and how they could be synced? Ideally I would like them both to be off, and when I press ch3 to both turn on.

Thanks

Wire them up so all of the LEDs come off of the same power source.

Thank you for your reply. You mean that I should power the headlights (through the receiver) and the roof rack lights (directly from the battery) from the same battery? I do not quite understand how this will change anything... although I can try if you say it should help. In case this won't work, are there any other options?:roll:

How are you controlling the headlights? Plugging them directly into Ch3 of the RX should not provide any control, just power.

If you cannot power LEDs through your RX, what are you using for a steering servo?

Likely, a simpler set up would be to wiring in a BEC into the RX from the main battery, then run both sets of LEDs off of a common controller. Another option is to check out some of Hey OK's LED control offerings, likely not a inexpensive as Banggood offering, but he makes a very good product, and is very resposive to any questions or issues that come up using his products.

Way over thinking things.

First off there is NO WAY YOU ARE RUNNING LEDS THAT ARE TOO MUCH POWER TO BE PLUGGED INTO THE RX. A bunch of 5mm leds don't even pull 1amp. Any light set up that is going to draw more than can be wired through the RX off the BEC power is going to require massive heat sinks/aluminum housings.

The controller isn't how many amps it draws, it's how many amps it can handle. FYI could have gotten a controller switch off Amazon for the same price.

If you can't power the light bar off the receiver then it's not AMPs, it's that you have them wired wrong. They should be in multiple series sets wired in parallel. So for a 6v RX system, should be 2 led paired in series and if you have 6 lights on the bar, then you'll have 3 sets in parallel. Total draw will be something like 60mA which is 0.06 of an Amp.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Thanks. Sorry I am not so gut with electronics. My explanation was not correct. The reason why I decided to put LEDs in a series is the fact that I wanted to have as few wires going from the roof as possible, so that the wiring was seamless. The series of my 4 LEDs on the roof require about 8 V in total (2 V each). The receiver outputs only around 5 V, therefore it can not light them up. However when connected directly to a 7.4V battery the LEDs light up. Therefore I came up with a decision to use a controller that allows external power source (or direct connection to the battery).

I use a Apex (?) switch with a Flysky GT5 to turn the light bar on and off on my Capra using one of the dials on the radio. Been working great for over a year. Think it was around 10 buckaroos on Amazon.

Back