• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Leaf Springs!?

DRED805

Rock Crawler
So, I grabbed a set of JEC Racing aluminum Leaf mounts for currie axles while they were briefly in stock last week. I happen to have an extra Brazin C1 chassis, and they make a leaf mounting kit that uses RC4WD tf2 leaf springs/shackles/etc.

My main question is, what leafs should I start with? I'm guessing The truck is going to be heavier than a TF2, so should I go with soft springs, or are super soft the only way to go to get any articulation?

Any in put would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

the nice thing about leaf springs is you can add and remove leafs from the pack to tune them

i have tamiya spring pack mashed with the long 130mm chinese leaf pack to hold up my fatbutt nylint

if i were you i would pick up a few diferent brands of leaf packs and mix and match till there just right

also leaf springs have a breakin period they soften up once they have a few cycles on them

and you can always add internal spring shocks to if you need more spring

Last edited:
It depends on the body and how you plan on running it. If you plan on trailing and crawling I would start with super soft, bashing I would use soft.

My Marlin is super soft mains with Hobbypack middle helper.
My 4Runner is soft mains with Hobbypack middle helper. I run soft for the extra body weight.

With super soft springs I prefer a mid length helper and you need an anti wrap.

It depends on the body and how you plan on running it. If you plan on trailing and crawling I would start with super soft, bashing I would use soft.

My Marlin is super soft mains with Hobbypack middle helper.
My 4Runner is soft mains with Hobbypack middle helper. I run soft for the extra body weight.

With super soft springs I prefer a mid length helper and you need an anti wrap.

Not sure on the body yet. I have a spare tamiya f350 set, so I might try that. It's the body style that had leaf springs up front still, I'm pretty sure... for scale realism, I mean. It won't be a basher. The challenge of making it a capable crawler is what's appealing to me.

I did a big amain order, and they only had Soft available, so I got those. I'll try them out and see if I need to get a softer main spring. I'll look into hobby pack and and get those ordered now.

I didn't even think about axle wrap. What bar did you go with, or did you make your own?

Thank you very much for the info. Any other tips/tricks would be appreciated as well!

EDIT:

These Hobbypark Stiff springs is all I could find. Are they what you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Stiff-Spring-Suspension-Crawler/dp/B07DS6Y4RQ

Last edited:
I went with the A&M Garage anti wrap. The Amazon link you post is what I use. Not a lot of tips and tricks. You have to tune the leaf springs just like shocks on a linked truck. The problem is its not an immediate change. You need to break in your helper springs just like the mains. I like to run my springs soft, guess you could call it semi droop. If the springs get too soft over time, I add some pen springs inside the shock for that little bit of support.

I went with the A&M Garage anti wrap. The Amazon link you post is what I use. Not a lot of tips and tricks. You have to tune the leaf springs just like shocks on a linked truck. The problem is its not an immediate change. You need to break in your helper springs just like the mains. I like to run my springs soft, guess you could call it semi droop. If the springs get too soft over time, I add some pen springs inside the shock for that little bit of support.

I was looking at the A&M Garage ones earlier. Awesome. I'll get those and the hobbypark springs ordered. Thanks again!

what about printing leaf packs using flexible material? id do that first and tune infill and material...if u find the sweet spot, ur rich LOL

Not sure on the body yet. I have a spare tamiya f350 set, so I might try that. It's the body style that had leaf springs up front still, I'm pretty sure... for scale realism, I mean. It won't be a basher. The challenge of making it a capable crawler is what's appealing to me.

I did a big amain order, and they only had Soft available, so I got those. I'll try them out and see if I need to get a softer main spring. I'll look into hobby pack and and get those ordered now.

I didn't even think about axle wrap. What bar did you go with, or did you make your own?

Thank you very much for the info. Any other tips/tricks would be appreciated as well!

EDIT:

These Hobbypark Stiff springs is all I could find. Are they what you're referring to?

https://www.amazon.com/Hobbypark-Stiff-Spring-Suspension-Crawler/dp/B07DS6Y4RQ

I drive a 99.5 f250 Super Duty. They kept the same general body style from 99 to 07. They had leaf spring front ends up until 04, and an 05 they started with the coils and control arms.

The Tamiya version has a front fender V8 emblem which were seen on the early 99s with the 7.3 Power stroke.

Back