• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Lead Free Solder Sucks!!!

picklewagon

Rock Crawler
I've been soldering RC's for quite some time-longer than I'd like to admit really. I'm talking soldering cells of matched Sanyo nicad's for gold tub RC10's when I was a kid. While I am not an expert, and don't have the steadiest hand or the patience to get it perfect, I'm an average hobby solder-er. Last night I couldn't get brushed motor tabs to tin, not at all. My Hakko 936 was cranked and nothing! I was completely frustrated until I realized I loaned my iron to my Pops, he replaced the solder he used up with lead free electronics solder and I didn't notice. Today I bought some 60/40 fine rosin core and POW, pretty, shiny, strong solder joints. I ruined a set of FXR's trying to smash them with this lead free crap... Just a warning- if your one of those that has a tough time soldering, check your heavy metals and get the good stuff!

From a user point of view the main difference between leaded and lead free soldeing is the melting temperature.
Leaded soldering melts at ~250C (IIRC) while lead free needs >300C.

That makes leaded soldering easier to use without destroying the parts soldered.

I suck azz at soldering and dread it each and everytime I have to do it. I even bought a Hakko 888d and I still suck. Please recommend us some delicious leaded solder. Can any good stuff be bought at Lowes, Home Despot or Orchard Supply?

I suck azz at soldering and dread it each and everytime I have to do it. I even bought a Hakko 888d and I still suck. Please recommend us some delicious leaded solder. Can any good stuff be bought at Lowes, Home Despot or Orchard Supply?

Any good 60/40 rosin core will suffice. If you have a radio shack close by their solder is pretty good for general hobby use.
Higher end stuff is a bit better but you probably need to really good at soldering to recognize the differences. I use Kester "44" 63/37 myself, just because I found a bulk deal for 8 one pound rolls for like 20 bucks. I give most of it away. A single roll will last for a VERY long time in rc/hobby use.

As far as lead free I bet many of ESCs will get fried with people trying to solder, smash, repair etc. super heating a whole board trying to get factory soldering undone:ror:

Last edited:
So this sounds like my problem. I am trying to switch to Deans's connectors and the insulation starts to melt and still couldn't tin the types of the wire.

Lead is best, just like in gas and paint. It's a soft metal

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Back