• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Killing 1080 WP's

SteveB1

Quarry Creeper
Well, I've blown the cap on my second 1080 WP in three months. Vanquish VS 410 Pro with Brood Creep and Reefs 444. Wiring is super clean and no exposed ends. XT 60 connectors.

Truck runs just fine for weeks, and then out of no where the cap pops. Seems to happen when I'm starting from a stop and steering at the same time. One time happened after an hour of driving, and the other after 15 minutes of driving.

Reefs was set at 6 volts.

I think I'm cursed with these. Am I the only one blowing these? I ordered a handfull of the new Castle Copperhead ESCs to try.

s

Most likely that it's the servo. The BEC in the 1080 is 3A, which is nice, but at least in the RCReview testing, the Reefs was pulling ~3.5A @ 6V. This is why I just run direct-power servos in my rigs.

I don't consider the Copperhead a "comparable" ESC to the 1080wp, at all. The Copperhead is a sensored brushless ESC that costs three times as much at a 1080. But it does have a BEC rated to 6A peak, so you shouldn't have any more servo-related issues.

Where are you getting them from? There have been reports of knock-off 1080's on Amazon.

Unless your endpoints are not set right you shouldn't see 3.5A draw by just turning the wheel. That 3.5a is only when the servo is working as hard as it possibly can to pass an immovable object, or a spike at an occasional wheel bump.

The spikes or amp draw could kill the ESC's bec, which can in turn completely kill the esc at any time, I find it unlikely, and not impossible.

I have ran 3 or 4 wp1080's and only reversing battery wires killed one. Always 3s 21t 550 motors, but the only big servos I use are also direct power, the others are the 20-25$ chinesium ones. So My bec is never pushed hard.

According to JRH pushing the BEC creates a fair amount of heat which coupled with the mosfet heat can cause problems. My heatsinks are never more then warm.

If it just a cap that blew have you tried replacing it, They are cheap and fairly interchangeable. just use the biggest one that fits for the most part as long as the voltage range is good,
Its probably all covered in epoxy though. That big cap probably just goes between the main power wires,, so you could replace it at the battery plug even. but if that blew it probably wasn't alone.

Last edited:
I've gotten the 1080's from AMain. I set the end points on the servo during the initial setup of the truck, but I'll check it again.

At $40 each, I just tossed the first one in the trash thinking it was a random error. I did inform HW, just as an FYI, and of course there is something wrong on my end. No big deal. When the second blew, I got annoyed. Had to borrow a truck for the next few days. I didn't bother notifying HW, I just tossed the second one in the trash as well.

I agree that the Copperhead is a completely different animal, but I travel quite a bit with my crawlers, so I'd rather spend the extra money to have it running when I'm away from my shop.

Interestingly, I try to crawl about 4 days a week, and it seems just out of the blue they would fail. Some days I would drain a pair of 1500 mah batteries with no issues.

I'll check the endpoints and update this thread after I do. That could easily be the culprit. Seems that no one else is seeing this issue, so it's most likely something I've overlooked.

s

Try an outboard BEC to run the servo. Even if your end points are adjusted, all it takes is for the tires to get stalled against a rock and your amps will spike. You don't even have to be turning the wheel on the transmitter. The servo will be trying to center itself and could cause a spike.

I have been running the 444 @7.4v with the 1080 for over a year with no problems. I can’t really add anymore than that after all the good advice already posted.

^^ Good to know.

Currently running the 444 and waiting for the stock ESC to quit. The Copperhead is the obvious 'cool' choice but would require motor upgrade etc.

The 1080 price point and reputation is tough to ignore but now this thread is making me nervous.

I have blown a 1080. It happened immediately after a pretty long tumble. Stuck me as odd at the time. Wasn’t running a high draw servo and the unit certainly did not get directly hit

It was a pretty good smoke show. No problems with any since

smog-71996-albums4595-68262.jpg

I have a AGFrc A73 which is basically a 444 and those draw 4Amps at 6V....anyway my HW1080 holds up pretty well with it for one and a half year beating the f... out of it.

∆∆∆ Such awesome scale CARNAGE!
Right!? I had never been so happy to see smoke come out of my rig. Such a great end to the day. Good thing I had the camera handy.

2nd best smoke show happened when I blew the stock ESC the old Wraith and it spontaneously drove itself off of a rock and into the lake. It was smoking and floating at the same time. I regret not getting a pic. Biggest mistake....ever:mrgreen:
Wow. Who would have guessed a little 1080 would hold so much magic smoke.

:ror:

It sounded great coming out too.

Pop.....fsssssssshhhhh

A friend of mine sent this to me. If you skip over to 6.40 in the video, John has some interesting comments about the 1080. Seems that an external BEC is the right choice, and pointed out earlier in this thread as well. Thanks again for the input guys. I'm just switching over to the Copperhead for all of my ESCs and that should nip the issue in the bud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8VQcifmMc

2nd best smoke show happened when I blew the stock ESC the old Wraith and it spontaneously drove itself off of a rock and into the lake. It was smoking and floating at the same time. I regret not getting a pic. Biggest mistake....ever:mrgreen:

I still have a body that smells like a dead Ae5, bet the chassis still has the burn mark too.

trying to flip my basic pro rig back over on throttle (2 motors, heyok dig switch)

Well, I've blown the cap on my second 1080 WP in three months. Vanquish VS 410 Pro with Brood Creep and Reefs 444. Wiring is super clean and no exposed ends. XT 60 connectors.

Truck runs just fine for weeks, and then out of no where the cap pops. Seems to happen when I'm starting from a stop and steering at the same time. One time happened after an hour of driving, and the other after 15 minutes of driving.

Reefs was set at 6 volts.

I think I'm cursed with these. Am I the only one blowing these? I ordered a handfull of the new Castle Copperhead ESCs to try.

s

Are you having issues with your Copperheads?

A friend of mine sent this to me. If you skip over to 6.40 in the video, John has some interesting comments about the 1080. Seems that an external BEC is the right choice, and pointed out earlier in this thread as well. Thanks again for the input guys. I'm just switching over to the Copperhead for all of my ESCs and that should nip the issue in the bud

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg8VQcifmMc

Are you having issues with your Copperheads?

Greetings,

No, none at all. I now have 4 Copperheads in the collection and they are doing well. I have one paired with a Brood Slither 35T in the Vanquish, one paired with the 1900 Slate in my Wraith, and one in my Creeper with a Brood Riot. I have the 4th as a spare.

My 1080's went in the trash. For my needs, it's Copperhead all the way.

Back