• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Killed my servo to DNA Dig?

Tieler Boberg

OK I have a DNA Dig Kit on my Axial Ax-10, I just recently locked up the servo for the Dig. How I did it: the servo has way too much turn/movement; so I think I put it in a bind, but luckily I have a back up servo. How could I set the new servo to where it'd have less turn/movement? (I could post pics or a video if needed)

What are the endpoints? is it the top settings on the radio that you turn with a phillips head (I have a 3ch Hitec agressor)

I posted a really detailed setup guide for the DNA dig here on RCC a couple years ago too. I'll try and find it

That's pretty funny, not about your dead servo but, Christmas day my servo for my DNA dig shorted out. It kept turning off my esc (no bec, no problems till now)... So I removed the dig yesterday.

I think I'll get a BEC before I try to run it again.

The mini and micro servos wont take much before they puff smoke. If you can fit it in your rig a hitec 645mg or simaler servo is best. The DNA dig units are not very smooth and the supplied linkage is not very good so they are hard on servos. Also its nice to have freewheel in the rear but its more work for the servo trying to set three differant positions in such a short throw. Try using just two settings. 4 wheel and rear lock.

Definitely use a full size servo. I had to run a 5955 to be happy with my old dna dig.
I don't know how to search archives, but I have a really detailed description on how to set it up properly, and use 3 position. If you have time, try and find it. I don't have time right now, but I will look later tonight

Definitely use a full size servo. I had to run a 5955 to be happy with my old dna dig.
I don't know how to search archives, but I have a really detailed description on how to set it up properly, and use 3 position. If you have time, try and find it. I don't have time right now, but I will look later tonight
Why run a huge full size servo for a frikkin dig????!!!!

OP, if your radio can do it, set the EPA's (end point adjustments) so you trip the micro switches but nothing more. I ran a "home made" servo dig for 1/2 a year with no issues. Eventually I used a WantAmix on my Futaba 3PM-X and dual ESC's.
A micro servo is waaaaaay fine for a servo dig."thumbsup""thumbsup"

Why run a huge full size servo for a frikkin dig????!!!!

OP, if your radio can do it, set the EPA's (end point adjustments) so you trip the micro switches but nothing more. I ran a "home made" servo dig for 1/2 a year with no issues. Eventually I used a WantAmix on my Futaba 3PM-X and dual ESC's.
A micro servo is waaaaaay fine for a servo dig."thumbsup""thumbsup"

If you have ever used a DNA dig, you would know why. It's the design. A 645 or similar will not cut it, unless you want it to pop out of lock or drive.

Your homemade dig was probably a driveshaft dig and they don't need to hold steel dogs into eachother like a dna. Or were you refering to a homemade electric switch dig for dual motors?

VP dig is by far the best, and only way to go IMOP. But the DNA will work fine if you set it up right, and use a strong enough servo. Now you can definitely run a mini 225 servo on a vp dig because of its much better design. It's long, hurtz style shift lever gives more than enough leverage.

If you have ever used a DNA dig, you would know why. It's the design. A 645 or similar will not cut it, unless you want it to pop out of lock or drive.

Your homemade dig was probably a driveshaft dig and they don't need to hold steel dogs into eachother like a dna. Or were you refering to a homemade electric switch dig for dual motors?

VP dig is by far the best, and only way to go IMOP. But the DNA will work fine if you set it up right, and use a strong enough servo. Now you can definitely run a mini 225 servo on a vp dig because of its much better design. It's long, hurtz style shift lever gives more than enough leverage.

I agree. The DNA digs bind and the leverage is not efficiant. I own three DNA digs. I ran them off the 225MG and burned through some. I spent hours grinding and polishing the dig to smooth it out. And lots of time getting the linkage setup and countless hours getting my endpoints just right. In the end I got it working decent with the 225mg. If I had room in the chassis I would have gone with a 5645MG or a 645Mg. A 5955 is overkill I think.

If I ever went to a shafty comp crawler with dig again I will buy the VP. The DNA will work for my scaler.

DNA with steel dogs will hold up well. My buddy is still using it in his shafty after I abused it for 2 years in comp crawling. He still uses the 5955 I gave him with it. Problem with 645 on DNA in comp crawling is that it just doesn't have enough holding power when you really dig down hard. It will slip cogs. Now for a scaler, it would be perfectly fine because of the much lesser forces being applied to it due to tire size and weight and setup.

I currently own 3 VP digs. One in my 2.2 scaler, one in my wraith, and one on my backup, bulletproof tranny. You can run them through any muck, sand, or whatever you find, and they will be fine. Because of open design, mud and debris just flow out. When you clean up the rig, blast it out with motor cleaner then lube with dupont dry wax spray lube. Good as gold. My first one is from original batch release.

I currently own 3 VP digs.

I will trade you two DNA digs for 1 of your VP digs LOL.

I never had my DNA dig slip the coggs, but it wasnt very old. I had my endpoints set dead nuts so the coggs where meshed tight. But I did have plent of other issues. And a larger servo might have helped. Didnt care for the customer service at DNA either and will never purchase another of his products.

Your homemade dig was probably a driveshaft dig and they don't need to hold steel dogs into each other like a dna. Or were you referring to a homemade electric switch dig for dual motors?

VP dig is by far the best, and only way to go IMOP. But the DNA will work fine if you set it up right, and use a strong enough servo. Now you can definitely run a mini 225 servo on a VP dig because of its much better design. It's long, hurtz style shift lever gives more than enough leverage.

Ahhhh....yes, we are talking 2 different things.
I was referring to a servo dig on a dual ESC MOA. Thus, no need for a big servo.

My son ran/runs a mechanical dig on a Venom Creeper, I don't believe he runs a killer servo for that.

But, since this is a bit out of my realm, I will defer. Thanks for the heads up.8)"thumbsup""thumbsup"

The origional servo I was running on the dig was badass, it was a "JR Sport - ST126mg". If the front wheels were wedged in a rock it'd slide the whole truck over! (that was when it was on the steering) "Ted Bull" that's the only way I want to run my dig: 4wd and Full lock.

Back