• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
  • RCSC

Kerhsaw Designs - Comstock II 1/6 Scale Dual Brushless Monster Truck

The Cow

Rock Crawler
Just heard about this! I know its not a crawler but how can you not like it... check out that chassis :mrgreen:

Looks big and light....

Enjoy....

Heath

Kershaw Designs - Comstock II 1/6 Scale Dual Brushless Monster Truck
Comstock%20-%20LeftFrontHD.jpg

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><!--/sizeo-->New from Kershaw Designs:<!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

If you're one to keep your ear to the ground for what the next big innovation from the RC industry is, then you'll know that this truck embodies them all. Major manufacturers are scrambling to release large scale vehicles. Brushless motors are just beginning to show up in production RC cars. This truck can be had with all of these features wrapped up into one. And, by the way, try to find a large scale truck with 4WD.

Comstock-ChassisHD.jpg

Comstock%20-%20LeftRearHD.jpg

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:4--><!--/sizeo-->Features:<!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->

Your choice of 9 different power systems, custom systems or install your own
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->MST (Metal Spine Technology)<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> chassis for a light weight but stiff rig
Differentials built from <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->extra large 1.5 Mod gears<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> - 50% larger than the industry standard
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->9mm wide extra large gears <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->that better distribute the punishment of dual brushless motors
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Battery tray <!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->that can be turned around 180 degrees to vary battery pack position and weight distribution
<!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->Choice of 7.5" CEN chevron tread tires or 7.5" Bow Tie style tires<!--colorc--><!--/colorc-->
7 15/16" long 1/5 scale Redcat aluminum shocks
Room for 2 batteries up to 165mm long, 51mm wide and 50mm tall
Accepts dual steering servos
Radio system not included
Top speeds from 28 - 50+ mph depending on drivetrain and battery choice
Full parts support and free e-mail consulting with engineer Includes parts list
Other possible options include 2.4 GHz radio installed ($80), high torque servo 208 oz/in torque ($25). Contact Kershaw Designs with questions or Kershaw Designs will contact you after deposit is made to discuss possible options.
Each truck is built one-by-one by hand. If you want any custom parts installed, don't be afraid to ask!
Click <!--coloro:#0000FF--><!--/coloro-->HERE<!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> for additional pictures

Comstock-FrontEndHD.jpg

Comstock-CenterGearBox.jpg

Comstock-RearEnd2.jpg

Comstock-MST.jpg

Comstock-Diffs.jpg

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:6--><!--/sizeo--><!--fonto:Impact--><!--/fonto-->KershawDesigns<!--fontc--><!--/fontc--><!--sizec--><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--><!--/colorc--><!--IBF.ATTACHMENT_251530-->​

Last edited:
Lets see no price, no dimensions, open gear case to suck up rocks, from a company that takes drill motors and puts there stickers on them with a name stolen from holmes hobbys. Im not going to buy one.

Lookin at the specs/pics/options... You can get a dual BL motor setup... How the F#ck are they doing that?... I mean to ensure that both motors are in the same phase( or set position.. dont know too much about them)... If a person buys one, then changes pinions for example... You would have to have a way of locking the shaft or making sure the motors were in the exact same position,,, Right? seems like a major PITA to me...

Lets see no price, no dimensions, open gear case to suck up rocks, from a company that takes drill motors and puts there stickers on them with a name stolen from holmes hobbys. Im not going to buy one.

Lookin at the specs/pics/options... You can get a dual BL motor setup... How the F#ck are they doing that?... I mean to ensure that both motors are in the same phase( or set position.. dont know too much about them)... If a person buys one, then changes pinions for example... You would have to have a way of locking the shaft or making sure the motors were in the exact same position,,, Right? seems like a major PITA to me...

First let me say other then a few short email exchanges consisting of small talk about starting an RC related bussiness from scratch and our products I do not know Kershaw. I have never owned a kershaw rig, so with that said I wont say I dont see some of your pionts. I would likely have communicated them a little different though as I see this from a different angle and would have to respectfully disagree with alot of your "concerns" within the context of this rig.

Let me explain :mrgreen:

Is this a mass produced veh? not by any means.... Assuming the veh stands the tests of its customers(still needs a chance to do so) IMO kershaw should get some props for doing things different and in what at least appears to be a smart cost effective way. As the owner of a small new bussiness I know how hard and expensive it can be to do somthing different and make it cost effective at the same time when your a little guy paying big prices.

The price is around $999 but it would really depend on how it is outfitted I believe. Sure this is no cheap price tag and I suspect this is not a "basher take it of 40ft jumps" type of vehicle... I dont believe it is advertised as one either. What I see here at least from the looks of it is a nicely designed chassis could make 1/6 4wd electric more of a reality.

Open gear case yes.... Strong drive train should handle that, this is not a mini. My RC8 handles the open drivetrain just as most of the 1/8 e-conversions with no issues at all. This is a true 4wd electric 1/6 scale veh.... Not an easy thing to do nowadays due to weight issues. Something in theory anyway this veh should have no issue with.

As far as the dual bl motor setup... It has been done before with no issues. Is it ideal? probably not but I am pretty confident it is simply a means to an end without spending nearly 3-4 times as much on a single ESC/motor system that would be adequate for such a veh. Properly designed gears should handle the power, other then that just run the same size pinions and you are good to go. Technicaly the motors are never balanced per se'(nor do they really need to be) one will always be working harder then the other to some small extent, however it is just a means to an end in the imperfect world of large scale electric RC. "thumbsup"

If someone doesnt try it first....

Just explaining my thoughts my friends... They certainly are no better or valid then anyone elses :mrgreen:

Heath

Last edited:
OK not to knock
But I don't see why a monster truck has indepenant suspension. Make it a solid axle rig and I'd be sold on it. Real monsters are.

That truck looks interesting, and I'm sure on a dual brushless setup it's insane. My opinion though on something that big is I would want a gasser motor in it versus a brushless setup. Not that there's anything wrong with the brushless setup, as long as you the got the money to buy the batteries and have the patience to wait between charges or the additional money to have an extra set of batts. If I'm spending that much money on a rig that's that big, I'd rather have the run time and sound of a Zenoah gasser or something....not to mention local parts support (and something WILL get broken, lol). Once again, just my personal opinion. It's an awesome looking rig though.

I will add that I have two Kershaw Designs motors in my emaxx and they work great, especially for a cheap replacement for the stock Titans. They seem to work very well, regardless of who he sourced them from. At least if he doesn't build them himseld, he's good at picking motors that work and hold up.

That truck looks interesting, and I'm sure on a dual brushless setup it's insane. My opinion though on something that big is I would want a gasser motor in it versus a brushless setup. Not that there's anything wrong with the brushless setup, as long as you the got the money to buy the batteries and have the patience to wait between charges or the additional money to have an extra set of batts. If I'm spending that much money on a rig that's that big, I'd rather have the run time and sound of a Zenoah gasser or something....not to mention local parts support (and something WILL get broken, lol). Once again, just my personal opinion. It's an awesome looking rig though.

I will add that I have two Kershaw Designs motors in my emaxx and they work great, especially for a cheap replacement for the stock Titans. They seem to work very well, regardless of who he sourced them from. At least if he doesn't build them himseld, he's good at picking motors that work and hold up.

Nothing wrong with gassers my friend "thumbsup"

The thought of tuning a engine is to much for my simple bovine brain, Lazy cow-likes plug and play :mrgreen: Besides gas/nitro/e as long as it makes your fingers tremble I say.....

ENJOY IT!

If you really look at what this kit presents in a reasonable and unique package I think it has alot of potential. Based on the feedback I have heard on kershaw's products it should be no dissapiontment. If someone wants to throw a gasser in there I say go for it and suspect Dan would say the same!

Heath

Last edited:
Any idea if they will be at Ihobby, I would like to take a look at it in person before I weigh in on some opinions I have.

Any idea if they will be at Ihobby, I would like to take a look at it in person before I weigh in on some opinions I have.

I really dont know my friend... Dan did post the following on another forum that I admin at "RC Car Action is scheduled to have one and the Grenadier 1/5 scale buggy in their offices in a couple weeks." Maybe we will have an opportunity to see some press on it?

I am interested in hearing thier thoughts "thumbsup"

Heath

He should be there.

And I have talked to him personally about the Revolver motor name. I have no problem with him using it since they are for different markets and totally different motors.

It'll be interesting to see what the reviews say. They're definitely a killer looking truck though. I'm going to be in the market soon for a 1/5 or 1/6 scale vehicle. I had been looking at a Baja 5B or T, but one of these would be cool to have. Decisions decisions...

Just ran across this thread while perusing the internet, looking for public reaction to Kershaw Designs products. FYI Jetboat, won't be at I-Hobby this year. I was emailing with the organizers hoping to get a discounted rate for one the booths still open at this late date. No such luck. Besides, many manufacturers (especially smaller operations like mine) find that the contacts made from going to just one show are what make the biggest difference in growing a business.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Would like to address the concerns about the open center gearbox as this is something that is regularly brought to my attention. The drivetrain has been used in dozen and dozens of Savage brushless conversion known better at Kershaw's <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:Street><st1:address>Direct Drive</st1:address></st1:Street>. I hesitated to release such a design, but after testing and emailing with customers after install, the system seems to go against my initial concerns and instincts. Have yet to hear of a case where debris made for the gears to ear early. Besides, nitro monster trucks and 1/8 scale buggies have been running open drivetrains for years.<o:p></o:p>
As for dual brushless motors, I've run dual brushless motors in many a rig and found that if motors and ESCs are used from the same batch/production run, the largest temperature difference I've found between the motors is 10 degrees F. I think the only explanation for this is that pushing around a 13-15 lb truck will always be much more of a strain to brushless motors that a small % of difference in preferred RPMs.<o:p></o:p>
Twisted, if you email me directly, I'd like to get the details about that twisted chassis and see if anything can be done about it.<o:p></o:p>
John. I always think back to our conversation at I-Hobby. Always good to know that we "Davids" can look out for each other's interests in face of "Goliaths".
Dan Fischer
Dan@KershawDesigns.com

Did anyone else notice all the parts from a savage on there? Like the only purple parts on it. they can build all the chassis plates and custom gear boxes but not a small aluminium plate with 4 holes in it. Not to mention the steering knuckels.

I think that looks kick ass , I'd love to have one.

I think if you could use some common parts ,like knuckles ,that may be more prone to breakage , is a great idea.
I can go to my LHS and pick up knuckles for a savage all day long.

Did anyone else notice all the parts from a savage on there? Like the only purple parts on it. they can build all the chassis plates and custom gear boxes but not a small aluminium plate with 4 holes in it. Not to mention the steering knuckels.

wow, dude.. you'd take a limo to the store when a taxi would do? How can you complain about smart design? like using parts that already work? If everything on this truck was from KD it would be 2400 dollars. Even if you can make the sickest crawler bumpers and frames, you still buy shocks, bro...

well since they wont be able to make I-hobby I will weigh in on my thoughts:

Open gear train... street use I'm find with it, for sand and mud I would really like to see at least a dust cover. I can definatly see (and have seen on my trucks) a problem with small rocks getting there and wreaking havoc.

Dual Brushless... Seems like overkill to me more than anything. With the very powerful motors on the market I don't know why you would waste the money on 2.

Shared parts: Great! I would rather see it use Maxx parts but that's because they seem to be more available local to me than savage.

I would give it 4 out of 5 stars with what I have seen. Would be fun to beat on but I would worry the weight would make it a bit of a pig on the dirt track and the battery life may be very short.

How about a 1/5 scale brushless rally car???

That things sweet. Throw in some huge LiPos, oh yeah.....

It brings back bad memories of all the money I sunk into my brushless E-Revo because it was so powerful.

Back