• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JDM74's Early Bronco

JDM74

Rock Crawler
I picked this up yesterday. I have been waiting for an SCX10.III to come out with the solid axles and this dropped. I watched for a bit and finally pulled the trigger. Here is a couple pics. second pic is trying out the wheels/tires from my 1.9 Wraith.

I want to lower it a bit and was thinking about using TRX-4 shocks. Anybody done that yet? On to the pics.

Untitled by JASON MCKIMMEY, on Flickr

I used Trx4 shocks on my 10.3 kit JL, they work great, I just had to change the balls on the shock caps from the TRX to the Axial ones I believe, it's been a while but I think that's how I did it, I'm have a set I'm gonna put on my 10.3 Bronco to drop the height down a bit.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of the stock Falken tires on this truck. But, this truck looks really good with some nice, wide tires as shown on yours. The Falkens are pretty narrow.

I'm looking forward to seeing how yours ends up.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to grab a set of those shocks on Ebay. I also am trying to figure out a way to make a canvas bikini top to add some detail and some texture. I need to figure out which wheels I want to run. This truck can definitely take some 4.75" 1.9's.

Edit, is there any general consensus on what scale the body actually is close to? I was think 1:7 or so.

Edit 2: I'm trying something a bit different here. Picked up a set of locked up Trail Ready wheels in 2.2" and going to snap them in RC4wd MT MTZ 2.2". Those tires are a short 2.2 at 4.75" tall. I think the larger wheel will look a bit better on this big body.

Last edited:
As far as the scale, I think it comes out to a 1:7.4. I just divided the full size wheelbase (92") by 12.3".

4.75 tires scale out to 35" tires by those numbers.

And yes, that 2.2 wheel looks pretty rad on there!

Last edited:
As far as the scale, I think it comes out to a 1:7.4. I just divided the full size wheelbase (92") by 12.3".

4.75 tires scale out to 35" tires by those numbers.

And yes, that 2.2 wheel looks pretty rad on there!

I agree, that wheel and tire combo looks way better than I would have expected.

Makes sense though, a 2.2 would scale out to about a 16” wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are some sticky tires
367d5c6d63d4133fc8f9f830403cceb4.jpg

Just waiting on wheels and shocks.
c82bce84dc3c5ac08aa7fa6caef1db46.jpg

Just slightly taller and a good bit wider.

Sweet! I've got the 1.55 version of those MTZs on my Yeti Jr, and they're great.

Scale looks and great all-around performance.

Got the wheels and shocks today but my 2mm nut driver failed on me when assembling the first wheel. I have one on order but I did manage to get one wheel and tire combo partially together and all the shocks on.

Stance with the one tire installed.

Those are some nice wheels. Those beadlock rings look like they took a long time to assemble, but the amount of detail really stands out.

Those wheels and tires look much more aggressive than stock. Looks like yours is shaping up to be a proper off-road rig.

Time to lose those license plates?

Those are some nice wheels. Those beadlock rings look like they took a long time to assemble, but the amount of detail really stands out.

Those wheels and tires look much more aggressive than stock. Looks like yours is shaping up to be a proper off-road rig.

Time to lose those license plates?

Here in Va, they would be running “Antique” plates so they don’t have to get it inspected. Gotta figure out a way to either get some of those made or just take them off.

Looks great -love the attention to detail.

I have those tires on an Element Enduro - they work well, but on the RC4WD steelies they are mounted to I get a fair amount of sidewall wrinkle...

By that I mean that they seem to twist and get bunched up on the rim - pretty easily fixed by punching it in reverse to get them untwisted!

I also have the LURC Trail Ready wheels, still haven't mounted mine to a vehicle - have set them up multiple times with different tires and keep changing my mind...;-)

Looks great -love the attention to detail.

I have those tires on an Element Enduro - they work well, but on the RC4WD steelies they are mounted to I get a fair amount of sidewall wrinkle...

By that I mean that they seem to twist and get bunched up on the rim - pretty easily fixed by punching it in reverse to get them untwisted!

I also have the LURC Trail Ready wheels, still haven't mounted mine to a vehicle - have set them up multiple times with different tires and keep changing my mind...;-)

Are you running the 1.9's or the 2.2's? These are the 2.2's. I thought a 1.9" wheel looked too small on this body. I'm curious to see if these wrinkle up like yours do if you are running the 1.9's.

I love LURC wheels and the old school bead lock mounting method. It lets you set each bead individually unlike the internal beadlock style wheels.

Painting those plates for the boots really makes them stand out from the rest of the interior. It's pretty surprising how small details really make such a difference.

That flat clear on the interior looks great. I've considered getting some felt, or some fabric to cover my floor with. If I never get around to that, the flat clear looks like a good option.

Back