• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JConcepts tusks thoughts

Druxus

Quarry Creeper
I have a new rig I built that I'm going to need some tires for. I tried deepwoods and absolutely hated them. I have 2 rigs that have proline krawlers and really like how they do here. I swapped out a set to the new rigs and they do great.

Which bring me to the point of do I buy another set of krawlers or try something else. I have heard some good things about the tusks but I'm wondering if anyone has experience with both sets.

I'm in Michigan and my trails here are near lake Michigan so they are hills with sand and allot of trees and roots to crawl up.

I have minimal drive time on mine, and run similar terrain to yours here in Wisconsin. Overall they seem to do well other than the stock foams being a little too squishy when getting more vertical. I read alot of user reviews before getting them and heard good things. I think they'll be a great rock/trail tire. Dual stage foams in at least the rear would be better.

They're very popular around here and at the comps I have run in TX and OK. I'm running a set on my C2 rig. CI 4.5" comp cut foams with soft outers up front and medium outers on the rear on a sub 6lb truck. They hook up really well on rock. Lateral traction is excellent. I have a really hard time getting the rear of the truck to slip down when I want it to do so on sidehills. Might try firm outers on the rear to help get it to slip a little when I want it to.

I'd probably give Krawlers the advantage in loose dirt but the Tusks seem to have the edge on rock and roots. You cant go wrong with either tire IMO.

I have had tusks now for about 3 weeks and am happy with how they are doing. I did put CI foams right from the get go. They do well at finding traction on logs and tree roots even wet they still grab, at a lesser rate. These replaced some deepwoods that one of my friends talked me into getting. I feel in my area they have similar performance to the krawlers.

Friends don't let friends buy deepwoods!

So bringing this back up because a winter is setting in and rain and snow is happening and the tusks seem to be falling off on performance faster then the proline krawlers in g6. Not sure if it's the difference between proline g6 or jconcepts green, or tread pattern. The tusks have been picking up the wet sand and holding on to it.

So bringing this back up because a winter is setting in and rain and snow is happening and the tusks seem to be falling off on performance faster then the proline krawlers in g6. Not sure if it's the difference between proline g6 or jconcepts green, or tread pattern. The tusks have been picking up the wet sand and holding on to it.

They dont do well when wet. It rained at one of our last comps and they would not hook up. Neither would the Megalithics.

Small update here on my end. New 6lb comp truck is running BAMF 3d printed inserts with Tusks. Specifically the dual shore super soft/super soft up front, soft/super soft rear. These dont hook up quite as well as the CI foams in my previous post but sidehilling has greatly improved. Wet performance is definitely lacking. Last comp started out in a little water and a couple of the lines the truck really struggled on. When the tires dried off, the truck walked them like they were nothing. I'm going to be giving a couple other tires a try for wet conditions.

Back