• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Injora rock tarantula FCX24

Whats_a_dickfer

Rock Stacker
So I've got an extra set of FCX24 axles, and I really like the looks of the injora rock tarantula kit for the TRX4M. I have a pretty modded out FCX24, but no experience with the TRX4M. For those of you who are familiar with both platforms, do you think it's possible to build some sort of hybrid of the two for less money than buying a trx4m just to use with the injora buggy chassis? I'm on the fence about using my FCX24 as a donor, or buying individual parts, or just biting the bullet and buying a trx4m.

I've got piles of various 1/24 and 1/18 links, wheels, tires, shocks, electronics, ect.

I have been working on one off and on in between many other micro builds.
It’s possible just have to get creative with a few things.
I’m running the 4m trans and skid with fcx axles.
First problem I ran into was the front links at the skid they made contact and didn’t allow it to sit as low as I wanted. Another issue is the servo on the axle won’t clear the cage again not allowing for a low stance.
I made a bracket to raise the front upper link and chassis mounted the servo with that I had to 3 link the front and add a pan hard bar.
346b620b4b9a3282c4dab726afbbd614.jpg

220b61a74f93fe1f7ae232210bc3ee4d.jpg

5d8dcff0754f297f7b2b14357a226261.jpg

22a49f644b9498fbd229dd62ec671640.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How's it drive? Impressive skills, that thing looks awesome.

What caused the links at the chassis to hit? Link mounts on the axle too far from where they are on the trx4m axle?

I was thinking of starting with an FCX skid, either furitek or ill buy a spare frame and cut out that section. I really wish I had the injora chassis in front of me so I could just kinda hold them up together and eyeball it.

Haven’t drove it much just a little testing and so far so good.
That was exactly the problem with the front links being so short the distance between the upper and lower link mounts on the axle are closer together on the fcx axle vs the 4m. It’s about a 5mm difference in mounting points.

I believe you could get away with the fcx rails and skid section in place of the 4m skid. The 4m skid is 39mm wide the fcx skid/rail is 42mm wide. The cage has enough give to let that happen. I would say give it a go the chassis is cheap enough and so is a fcx frame. Definitely cheaper than a new 4m [emoji1360]

That was exactly the problem with the front links being so short the distance between the upper and lower link mounts on the axle are closer together on the fcx axle vs the 4m. It’s about a 5mm difference in mounting points.

I believe you could get away with the fcx rails and skid section in place of the 4m skid. The 4m skid is 39mm wide the fcx skid/rail is 42mm wide. The cage has enough give to let that happen. I would say give it a go the chassis is cheap enough and so is a fcx frame. Definitely cheaper than a new 4m [emoji1360]

Extremely helpful, thanks a lot! I think I'll give it a go.

whUlgxQ.jpeg

One more question for you. Is this the part of the cage that the servo hits, and how close is it? I'm wondering if I could just bend it wider, and use some spacers and longer screws.

I thought about trying to bend it but there is a lot going on in the area the servo hits. Also depends on how far out you set the front axle. Here is a top side pic to give you a better idea.
fd68e6db387c366b73dc46c60393af96.jpg

Another question about the front links binding. Do you think the front uppers and lowers would still hit each other if you ran a straight lower link instead of high clearance?

I just purchased a gearbox mount for the FMS Lemur and hoped to use it with SCX24 rails, but that did not pan out. I was going to scratch build a Lemur until I saw this thread. Will the gearbox mount from the Lemur bolt directly up to the Trantula chassis or do alternate holes need to be drilled? I do realize I will need to drill at least 2 holes for the FMS mount if the other 3 holes line up.

I want a 2 speed transmission and I want to use the FMS Axles. Trying to build a rock racer/basher that I can put in a backpack and take hiking with me. There are some steep sections on the trail and right off that would be fun to hill climb and there are also sections of the trail where higher speed gears could be utilized. I'm not concerned about having a lot of flex and will be using the FMS upper Y links in the front and rear. This rig will be brushless powered and I want it to be fast.

Last edited:
Back