• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

in the planning stages of an LCG build... AXLES?

ericfx1984

Getting ready to build an LCG, SOA build, looking at the Corrupt Carbon Works Readper V2 Titanium chassis, pairing it with the Amazon alloy dig tranny

Really like capra axles, but holy smokes they are not cheap

What about these Chinese Alloy Capra style axles?

I have a freshy rebuilt set of Redcat Portals

Considering Wendigo Axles

Last edited:
Only Chinese knockoff brand I trust at all is KYX, and I'll still only use their rear's. I've been abusing this KYX 10.3 rear for a few months... swapping it into my reaper right now. Just make sure you upgrade to high quality internal parts as they fail. The kyx stub shafts will bend for no reason. Housings are solid... heavy, though.

Attachments

• IMG_8620.jpg
    IMG_8620.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,002
Same spot Im at but I know what axles.
Im building around the SSD Diamonds. May portal them, or just one. thinking the front..

The rest is currently up in the air for me. lol'

I built my G-speed up with AX10 axles lol.

Hear me out, can overdrive the front and underdrive the rear, get a heap of steering angle from them and these things are like 10 years old and never broke.... you can still get parts. Sometimes simple works.

I got an alloy set directly from integy $150ish they are compatible with Capra parts. swapped out the junk ring and pinions and they've been running great. Spent an extra 12 bucks and got stock capra housing to lighten up the rear. portal gears/bearings all fit fine.

I have China Capra axles on my 6x6, they were 50$ each and you can tell why

clearly is mostly pot metal, fair bit of play everywhere (better once shimmed), no bearings at the end of the front axles tubes and doesnt even fit a stock scx10 shaft

On the plus side, i've yet to break anything on them on a 13lbs rig (3S brushed).
Might upgrade later but I wasnt paying 3x180 to build axles from axial spare parts...

I have China Capra axles on my 6x6, they were 50$ each and you can tell why

clearly is mostly pot metal, fair bit of play everywhere (better once shimmed), no bearings at the end of the front axles tubes and doesnt even fit a stock scx10 shaft

On the plus side, i've yet to break anything on them on a 13lbs rig (3S brushed).
Might upgrade later but I wasnt paying 3x180 to build axles from axial spare parts...

Happen to try an Axial diff gear/pinion? Bearing/gear tolerance would be my biggest worry about Chinese axles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting ready to build an LCG, SOA build, looking at the Corrupt Carbon Works Readper V2 Titanium chassis, pairing it with the Amazon alloy dig tranny

Really like capra axles, but holy smokes they are not cheap

What about these Chinese Alloy Capra style axles?

I have a freshy rebuilt set of Redcat Portals

Considering Wendigo Axles

If you are going to mount your FMM there on that chassis like Dred805 has you motor will sit low. You will probably need an axle that is offset and a transmission to match. Not sure what motor mount you are using.

I just built a Reaper 2 with a TGH FMM and AR44s with pumpkin in the center and even using a little snub nose Revolver my motor would have hit the drive shaft unless I really limited my up ward travel. Not sure if it will be the same for other FMMs. I ended up mounting my TGH FMM almost half an inch higher. But did a servo on axle 4 link setup to keep the servo weight low.

Having high clearance links (top and bottom) will also help you clear things. You may have to turn the links sideways to get things to clear. I also mounted my upper links out side the chassis for more room.

Last edited:
So my question is...

do portals kind of defeat the purpose of building an LCG crawler. IF the goal is to lower the center of gravity, it seems that portal axles are kind of counter productive.

So my question is...

do portals kind of defeat the purpose of building an LCG crawler. IF the goal is to lower the center of gravity, it seems that portal axles are kind of counter productive.

Nope!!! You can gain it if you build for it.

Your portal axle is still an axle so it is unsprung weight so it really isn't like have weight other places. The added clearance allows you to run smaller tires with more clearance and lowering your overall CG.

Delux makes a trans that is under 2 ounces for portal axles. Drive line gear reduction in the portal hubs so you can get away with less reduction in your trans so it can be smaller and lighter. Even the stock TRX trans sits lower than most other trans.

If you are going with the Reaper 2 it seems more designed for FMM. I just built one for my C2 with straight axles, It is not a chassis I would use for portals. I really don't think the shock hops sit high enough. The HiLo from Brazin would be a better choice or a portal build. I just ordered a Chassis from JeepKid RC for my C3 that seems ideal for a portal build. Both those chassis are designed with the trans mount closer to your front axle for a motor mounted to the trans. The Reaper gives more room for your FMM.

Last edited:
Back