• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HW 1080wp/ HH shv 500v2/ TSM TQI rx - Quick question

high plains drifter

RCC Addict
Subscribed Member
I'm installing a new 1080 ESC in my TRX4 in place of the stock xl5 ESC.

My question is this: Where should I connect the HH direct power servo now? I had the JST connector coming from the servo, plugged directly into the stock Traxxas ESC but where to connect it now?.. to the HW1080 ESC ( and where exactly?), direct to battery?, or into one of the channels on the TQI receiver? And will I need to buy or make a harness of some kind?

Thanks for any help in advance.

You'll have to either buy some adapters like these in the picture with JST plugs soldered inline (you can find different size adapters for each end also), or you can buy JST pigtails alone to solder to the ESC connecter to the battery. The adapter route is the quick and easy solution, vs the JST solder route is the cleaner solution (less weight if that matters).

dec2ea7a302c649435a7fed3c55482fe.jpg

I’m gonna say get the jst with leads and solder into esc batt lead. Yes you can get those adapters but they sure take up lots of space you might not have available.
Easier is to rob the servo power from your balance adapter, I wouldn’t myself as I’ll solder in directly. Remember your lvc for lipos as you don’t want a cell to drop to low

Hang up and Drive

Last edited:
Thanks a ton! That's what I needed to know. Pics were greatly appreciated as well. Looks like I can just make them since I've got plenty of xt60s and jst connectors in the parts bins.

I’m gonna say get the jst with leads and solder into esc batt lead. Yes you can get those adapters but they sure take up lots of space you might not have available.
Easier is to rob the servo power from your balance adapter, I wouldn’t myself as I’ll solder in directly. Remember your lvc for lipos as you don’t want a cell to drop to low

Hang up and Drive

Totally forgot about the balance port adapter. That's came in handy a few times.

Yeah you can just use that adapter as is but just be sure to set your low voltage cutoff accordingly.

Solder the set of connectors back to back of each other to make those adapters I posted. Solder your JST in there, throw a heat shrink on and done. Make sure you solder both pieces in the correct direction and polarity [emoji23]

I went ahead and made an old timer schematic as I do a lot of times with new wiring projects. I'm wondering at this point though, if I actually need to make an adapter/ harness like discussed above? And yeah, I'm putting a fan on top of this motor too.

This is what I came up with. Any thoughts?

i been using the NSDRC Adapters that come with the jst plug for them they even offer with 2 jst's so you can power something else (Fan) ... they are fairly inexpensive and usually just add it to my servo orders also great if you don't want to do the soldering ... but for light weight applications you could easily just solder the jst to your esc plug. your single line looks good but I would not be comfortable to run the servo from the balance plug.

https://nsdrcscaleparts.com/products/in-line-power-connections?variant=40163096821895

i been using the NSDRC Adapters that come with the jst plug for them they even offer with 2 jst's so you can power something else (Fan) ... they are fairly inexpensive and usually just add it to my servo orders also great if you don't want to do the soldering ... but for light weight applications you could easily just solder the jst to your esc plug. your single line looks good but I would not be comfortable to run the servo from the balance plug.

https://nsdrcscaleparts.com/products/in-line-power-connections?variant=40163096821895

Thank you for the reply. I'm always up for soldering so I'll go ahead and make my own connector for this. As for the schematic, it's the way I've got my tf2 wired so I figured I'd be safe... never had any issues. But better safe than sorry. Although this will be for a trx4, I'll prob wire my tf2 like this also after y'alls replies in this thread. Thanks very much.

Back