• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HPI venture/ RC4WD O\U transfercase implementation

tedmo

I'm implementing the RC4WD over/ Under-drive transfer case in the stock skid plate of the Venture. It is a questionable implementation because of the driver side output of the transmission dog-bone going into the intended output of the rc4wd transfer-case which causes a 1:1 drive to the rear axle and an overdrive to the front axle. I have Tested and fried the stock motor as a result of the overdrive causing to much load for the motor to push. I am going to try changing the stock (rc4wd transfer-case) gearing to the smallest ratio and increase the ratio as I tune the drive train. I replaced the HPI motor with a $18 Holmes hobby 35T brushed motor.

Last edited:
i did have to sand down the transfercase shafts about 3mm to allow the drive lines to align properly. also, I have to make the stock plastic rear drive about 15mm shorter and make two new holes in the skid plate for mounting the RC4WD transfercase.

Last edited:
Nice! Upload some pics if you can, I'd be interested to see how it comes together.

Does the RC4WD case have counter rotating shafts or not?

As for the 1:1 ratio shouldn't it be geared down some at least since it still runs through the the tranny first? Or maybe you just meant the same speed as the tranny output shaft.

I think I've heard that some people have done the same kind of thing using the stock T case, flipping it. It seems like a new skid to put the outputs where they need to be would be really helpful.

Back