• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

How to choose a motor

ItsTyrex

Hi guys, need some help.
How can I know what motor to get (in terms of turn count and size)?
I bought a 540 35t motor and used it with a 3s lipo, in the middle of the first run I gave it some power for about 2 minutes straight and then smelled something burnt. I think the motor is toast, I can still drive it but it makes funky noises.
After that I looked at the product page and realized it suitable for 2s and not 3s.

Any suggestions for a motor? Looking for something inexpensive.
Here some info of the rig:
Hobbywing 1060 esc
I have about 56mm between the transmission and the servo

Here is my ratios from motor to wheels:
Gear box ratio 1:8
Transfer case ratio 1:1.2
Portal axle ratio 3.75:1

Thanks in advance, Tyrex.

Hi guys, need some help.
How can I know what motor to get (in terms of turn count and size)?
I bought a 540 35t motor and used it with a 3s lipo, in the middle of the first run I gave it some power for about 2 minutes straight and then smelled something burnt. I think the motor is toast, I can still drive it but it makes funky noises.
After that I looked at the product page and realized it suitable for 2s and not 3s.

Any suggestions for a motor? Looking for something inexpensive.
Here some info of the rig:
Hobbywing 1060 esc
I have about 56mm between the transmission and the servo

Here is my ratios from motor to wheels:
Gear box ratio 1:8
Transfer case ratio 1:1.2
Portal axle ratio 3.75:1

Thanks in advance, Tyrex.

Couple questions,

What motor specifically was it?
What vehicle specifically is it?

Do those ratios include spur/pinion, and ring/pinion?

Also, the way they are written indicates tremendous overdrive at the trans and t-case.

Even if they were 8:1/1.2:1/3.75:1 that’s still only 36:1 final drive, which is on the faster side.

Not to mention you could have binding in the trans or axles contributing to motor temps, foreign material inside the motor, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another vote for Holmes Hobbies. Trailmaster and Crawlmaster series are inexpensive and reliable. Great company and good customer service via email.

Holmes Hobbies Trail/Crawlmaster Sport. Run mine on 4 or 6s and use them hard, if you burn one of them up you’ve got issues elsewhere [emoji6]

The motor is a Chinese injora motor
The rig is scx10 II based.

will it accept 3s? Isn't 12 a bit fast? With the 35t is was plenty of speed for me

I dunno if all Trailmaster and Crawlmaster motors accept 3S. I assume that they do but someone else would have to verify that. And I meant the Sport series... they're generally around $20.

But as suggested... I would think that your problem might be something binding or causing resistance like gear mesh being too tight. I have no idea what kind of track record Injora has with their motor quality but I probably wouldn't replace this one with another one.. especially if you're unable to find a reason that the motor was pushing too hard and heating up. Regardless of whether or not you find anything causing resistance on that motor, I still wouldn't put another Injora motor back in there either way.

I run the crawlmaster 16t which is a 5slot motor equivalent to a 35t trailmaster 3 slot on 3s without any issues. My vote is for the crawlmaster line and a hobbywing 1080 esc

I dunno if all Trailmaster and Crawlmaster motors accept 3S. I assume that they do but someone else would have to verify that. And I meant the Sport series... they're generally around $20.

But as suggested... I would think that your problem might be something binding or causing resistance like gear mesh being too tight. I have no idea what kind of track record Injora has with their motor quality but I probably wouldn't replace this one with another one.. especially if you're unable to find a reason that the motor was pushing too hard and heating up. Regardless of whether or not you find anything causing resistance on that motor, I still wouldn't put another Injora motor back in there either way.

I've disconnected the motor and transmission from the transfer case and the truck rolls freely, plus when the motor got hot and smelly the transmission was very hot.
You the transmission is the problem?

And how can I check about the crawlmaster voltage? There's no info on Holmes hobbies site.

Transmission getting hot would make me think that maybe that's the issue. You didn't mention if you're feeling any resistance w/ the trans or t-case. Spin the output shafts to see how they feel. You may need to ultimately take them apart to look at your gears, bearings, etc. I would start with the transmission.

Regarding checking the voltage, this video might help...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwFE-NkzR-k

I've disconnected the motor and transmission from the transfer case and the truck rolls freely, plus when the motor got hot and smelly the transmission was very hot.
You the transmission is the problem?

And how can I check about the crawlmaster voltage? There's no info on Holmes hobbies site.

Crawlmaster sports are for sure good for 3s. I think some people run them 4s as well, but most people run them with 1080’s which are 3s only.

it kinda sounds like theres a problem in the planitary gear reduction unit its also posable with no spur gear its just geared to high
its also posable that its geared to low and the motor is running to fast
maybe some pictures would help and knowing the reduction ratio in the planitary GRU would also help
one way i can think tontest it is to run it with no load and see what gets hot first thats likely your problem

it kinda sounds like theres a problem in the planitary gear reduction unit its also posable with no spur gear its just geared to high
its also posable that its geared to low and the motor is running to fast
maybe some pictures would help and knowing the reduction ratio in the planitary GRU would also help
one way i can think tontest it is to run it with no load and see what gets hot first thats likely your problem

The ratio is 1:8 or 8:1 on the website it says 1:8 but someone said it flipped.

Do you think a higher turn count should be better? The truck felt pretty speedy so I don't mind a bit slower top end

The ratio is 1:8 or 8:1 on the website it says 1:8 but someone said it flipped.

Do you think a higher turn count should be better? The truck felt pretty speedy so I don't mind a bit slower top end

if your gru is 1.8 and your trans is 1.2

if thats right your gona kill what ever motor you use and on 3s im surprised it lasted that long

can you upload a picture of your set up

it matters how its set up

the trans temps is mostlikely from the motor trying to burn it self up

Back